International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-01-2003, 11:40 PM
BJ's Off-Road

For those that have or will lay under their jeeps and attempt to remove & replace the rear main seal, there is one problem most of us encounter:

the exhaust y-pipe is in the way of swinging a hammer to hit a brass punch to remove the upper seal. Well, after about 30 minutes of staring, cursing, and contemplating, I thought of a way to easily do it. Take a socket extension (1/4"), preferably a long one (about 10" or longer), put a deep-well 5/8" socket on the end. Take this setup and put the punch in the 5/8" socket, place directly on the upper rear main seal, and give a gentle tap with the hammer. Might take one or two good whaps, then it'll come out easily on the other side. Then, use a pair of needle-nose pliers to grab the exposed end, and remove it in a circular motion (ie, the rotation of the crank).

Using the socket and extension made easy work of removing the upper seal.

Hope this helps!
btw, when replacing, make sure you use dish-soap as recommended on the outer-portions of each seal. Makes things move much faster.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:27 AM
Gear Head

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately it's job I'll have to do soon.
'87 Grand Wagoneer, 3" Rough Country lift, 31" BFG's, K&N filter, Alpine/Bose stereo, TFI ignition upgrade, PowerTrax No Slip locker -rear, factory brushguard, "Genius has limitations, Stupidity doesn't"
Old 05-02-2003, 01:55 AM
Grease Monkey

ditto
Old 05-02-2003, 04:09 AM

Yeah, me too. After I fixed the trans leak I realized that there was a little motor oil coming out of the rear main.
As far as beating out the seal goes, you have to be very careful with a punch that may be as hard as the crank. It doesn't take much to gouge the sealing surface. Personally I've always tried to use a soft punch like brass or a wooden dowel to push old seals out. And swinging a hammer around the crank makes me shudder. Even if it is brass.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:15 AM
Gear Head

that is on the "to do" list...thanks ryan!
1979 Cherokee Chief W/T \"Blueduck\"<br />360 AMC<br />Automatic <br />TH400<br />Quadra-Trac <br />Edelbrock Performer 4 Barrel<br />TFI Upgrade<br />Rhino Grille <br />D44 Front/Rear<br />33x12.50x15 on Rock Crawlers<br />4\" BJ\'s<br />Terra-Flex Swaybar Disconnects<br />Durabak in and out.<br />Tuffy Console w/ Pioneer CD<br />BJs Dozer Bumpers Front and Rear
Old 05-02-2003, 09:34 AM
Master Mechanic

Yep, gotta do the same.... X 2.....
\'88 GW...<b>Harley</b><br />Truck Avenger, Performer Intake, TFI, Dual Exhaust, 31x10.50 Goodyear MTR\'s, 15x10 American Racing, Planned: Mossy Oak Camo Clad instead of wood grain!!! Daily Driver<br /><br />\'82 Wag......<b>Sherman</b><br />360/727/NP208/AMC20r/D44f, TFI, Dual Exhaust, 15x10s with 31x10.50s, Homemade 4\" lift, Lincoln Locked Front & Rear...Hunting Vehicle<br /><br />Several Parts Wags<br /><br />Experience is something you don\'t get until right after you need it...
Old 05-02-2003, 09:47 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Luckily (or unluckily) for me, I already have a rebuild to do, so I don't have to crawl under my Chero to do that, but a good piece of info, if that comes up at a later date for my GW. Thanx
Aaron McGuin <br /><br />80 Cherokee (The Short Bus) <br />Rebuilt 258<br />T176/NP208<br />31x10.50x15 OTR Muds from High Tec Retreading<br />84 GW (Gabby)<br />258/TF999/NP229<br />really bald 235 75R15s<br />Slowly becoming a shell of its former self.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:16 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Same here X3 lol
Old 05-03-2003, 12:17 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I'd rather be locked in a dark room with 12 rabid Lesbian, tree-hugging, PETA activists than do another rear main on a FSJ.

UHMMM... OK I had a bad experience. [img]redface.gif[/img]

Good idea though Ryan
Marc<br /><b>343 W6</b> <br /><br />You can\'t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa<br /><br />You\'re a feminist? aww isn\'t that cute........
Old 05-03-2003, 01:24 AM
BJ's Off-Road

Several things that made it easier as well:

1. Jack up the jeep and place the jack-stands on the frame just underneath the front doors. Do this so that the front tires are still touching the ground (or at least let the front axle dangle without supports). This allows the front axle to be low enough that you can remove the front pan.

2. Remove the starter, so you can access the last few bolts.

3. Take the oil-sump and rotate it as needed to get the pan to come out. Took me about 15 minutes of twisting the sump & pan to get it out from under the jeep. I am NOT looking forward to putting it back together today.

It's really not as bad as everyone says, if you have about 2 days to slowly work on it. Plan it for a weekend where you don't have to drive your rig.