International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 03-28-2020, 10:00 PM
232 I6

Let's talk parts differences between the years.

I really haven't seen a go-to list of things that are swappable between years, but more importantly haven't seen a list of things that changed between the years.

Interesting example here:
The seat belts in my 88 are pretty moldy, dirty, stained, etc, so I figured I'd jump on ebay and scout replacements and costs. I came across a couple different types, especially regarding the retractor mechanisms that sit near the floor:

Supposedly from an 89. Is it really?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Jee...-/303386215373

Another, slightly different one, which is what I have in my 88:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Grand-...AOSwy2BeC5c D

I know ebay isn't the best source for parts descriptions, so questions are:
1. Did seatbelt anchors actually change during the late model run?
2. What else changed that we should be aware of?

I find this all especially interesting because my GW is so torn apart that it's been difficult to understand what is or isn't correct, like door panels, with their short (85 & under) vs long wood grain trim pieces (86 & above).
Old 03-29-2020, 09:09 AM
232 I6

Oh, and somewhere in there the dashpad was supposedly changed. What year was that?
Old 03-29-2020, 09:55 AM

Dash pad changed with the gauges mid ‘86?
Old 03-29-2020, 05:40 PM
Jeep Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticRob
I really haven't seen a go-to list of things that are swappable between years, but more importantly haven't seen a list of things that changed between the years.

Interesting example here:
The seat belts in my 88 are pretty moldy, dirty, stained, etc, so I figured I'd jump on ebay and scout replacements and costs. I came across a couple different types, especially regarding the retractor mechanisms that sit near the floor:

Supposedly from an 89. Is it really?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Jee...-/303386215373

Another, slightly different one, which is what I have in my 88:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Grand-...AOSwy2BeC5c D

I know ebay isn't the best source for parts descriptions, so questions are:
1. Did seatbelt anchors actually change during the late model run?
2. What else changed that we should be aware of?

I find this all especially interesting because my GW is so torn apart that it's been difficult to understand what is or isn't correct, like door panels, with their short (85 & under) vs long wood grain trim pieces (86 & above).

It appears the anchor mounting configuration remained the same, but the housing changed. In addition, '89 up used a "Sand" color, which is lighter than the '88 "Tan" color. Still, the parts catalog has different part #'s for the '89 from the '88 and the '91, and even that model year has two part #'s, one for belts up to 3/22/1989, and another for trucks after that date. I bet the mount is the same, however the outer cover design may have changed.

Last edited by Bob Barry : 03-29-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:28 PM
232 I6

Another way to identify 89+ is the rear wiper. In 86 the interior changed quite a bit to include new steering wheel and guages, "closed" wood grain and different grille.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:25 AM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry
It appears the anchor mounting configuration remained the same, but the housing changed. In addition, '89 up used a "Sand" color, which is lighter than the '88 "Tan" color. Still, the parts catalog has different part #'s for the '89 from the '88 and the '91, and even that model year has two part #'s, one for belts up to 3/22/1989, and another for trucks after that date. I bet the mount is the same, however the outer cover design may have changed.

Yeah, I used the wrong wording there, I simply meant the cover was different, not the mounting point or 'anchor'. I do find it interesting the 89 appears to be a one-off. What type was used in 90?

Looking at them, I like the 89 version more than my more-square version.

Oh yeah, who could forget the 86 and above steering wheel, as CTGW mentioned?

I've also seen a difference in the length of the plastic guide that swings in and out of the rear doors for the wiring. My 88 has shorter guides than the 83 door I used as a donor.

I've also read about a difference in the cruise control stalk on the steering columns. When did that happen?