• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brown Bear
    304 AMC
    • Apr 09, 2000

Gas Leaks.....The Good, The Bad, The Crispy

My fuel hardline is leaking....rust/pinholes. It's putting out a fair amount of fluid, but not overly excessive. I'm going to have to drop the tank to repair it, or just gob some jbweld on it.....haven't decided what sounds best to me at the moment. My question is: how long do you think i can last before i blow myself skyward?

p.s. How long would black silicone hold up?
    NathanielButts
    IFSJA Member #18
    RIP-USS Minnow-The three hour tour is over.
    MacGuyver - 1985 Grand Wagoneer
    TFI, Edel Intake, Holley 80457S (yeah, it's shiney), K8600, K&N, Taylor Wires, Ford HD springs, and way freakin' cooooooool
  • Chrome
    Ph.D in Redneckology
    • Aug 30, 2002

If it was mine I would go ahead and replace it. My brother had a hole in his fuel tank and tried JB Weld, silocone, and tank repair but it always started leaking again. Get yourself a brake line bending tool from a local parts store, enough fuel line to do the job and a free Saturday and you should be in good shape. P.S. Don't use candles for lighting underneath truck..bad,bad,bad!
    ..,=====,o00o
    //__l_l_,\____\,__
    l_---\_l__l---0
    lllllll0
    _(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___

1983 Cherokee Chief Laredo W/T 360/auto

1982 Cherokee Chief W/T 360/4 speed

I now have an official Muslim name...Ochroma Bin Polishin.

Click link for pics of restored Full Size Jeeps (on last page)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/363842\

Comment

• will e
      Always Broke
      • Nov 16, 2001

Yeah. Just go ahead and fix it. Safer that way!
      82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Jeepadilly
        258 I6
        • Jan 30, 2003

What was that saying...an ounce of prevention is worth a ten pound fire extinguisher...something like that.....
        Bear ( A big beautiful '88 GW )
        If you stand with one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow, you just might wiz all over today!!

Comment

• Gwamp
          High Tech Redneck
          • Mar 08, 2002

JB weld will work, but only if the area is clean and rust and gas free. It also should set up for 48 hours prior to getting it into contact with gasoline. If you don;t do this, the gas will melt right through the JB weld. If ut has cured properly, it will outlast your Jeep
          Roll up on you like Eastwood...

Comment

• 64Trvlr
            Traveler
            • Nov 28, 2000

Originally posted by Brown Bear:
            (1) It's putting out a fair amount of fluid, but not overly excessive.
            (2) My question is: how long do you think i can last before i blow myself skyward?
            (3) How long would black silicone hold up?
            (1) Can you say Carbeque?
            (2) Between 30 secs and a month or so
            (3) Less time than it takes to put it on.
            Just get some 5/16" or 3/8" brake line and make a new hard fuel line.
            41 MB<br />46 CJ-2A 307,T90,D18,27,44,4:27\'S<br />64 Traveler, 350,sm465,np205,44\'s w/4:88\'s, spool, 34X9.50 TSL\'s,3\" factory lift, Line-x interior, PS, Dual Optima\'s, custom overhead console,Warn XD900i,custom bumpers<br /><a href=\"http://images.andale.com/f2/116/106/4651773/1009696569938_64trvlrconsolegrp.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Overhead C

STOLEN! Dana 300 Twin Stick

Comment

• Gargel-orum
              327 Rambler
              • Mar 26, 2002

I agree with scotteac about just replacing the whole piece. Joels jeep (bombadier) had that very same problem...it was never fixed untill the tank was finaly droped and the hardline replaced (i think they made something out of some sort of boat tubing). Though, he drove it around leaking for 8 months before it was properly fixed, we just remembered not to smoke around it
              -Lindsey-<br /> (thats me)<br /> &<br /> -Joel-<br /> (aka: Bombadier)<br /><br />1981 Cherokee Laredo W/T<br />CB Radio, 31\'\' Tires, TFI, NP208<br />New 360 Reman-Engine, <br />New Trans (still paying th loan! HAHA!)<br />New Radiator, External Tranny Cooler Routed Through Internal<br />Excellent Emissions (wow!)<br />4BRRL Holly Truck Avenger, Edelbrock Intake Custom Fitted<br />Soone To Get Dual Exhaust<br />All K&N Filters, No Rust! Sucky Radio!<br />GOT ANY BLACK JEEP INTERIOR PARTS? I WANT EM!<br /> <br />THERE THEY GO,I MUST FOLLOW AFTER THEM FOR I AM THIER LEADER!

Comment

• Retro93
                Junk Collector
                • Nov 02, 2001

Better get that fixed Nathaniel. It sure would be a shame to burn the "garage" down. Tarps are expensive yanno. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                79 Cherokee Chief WT "RDBLOK" warmed over 360, TH400/QT, 4.10 Truetrac F/Detroit Locker R, 4" Skyjacker Softride System, Rancho 9000 shocks with in cab adjust, Hydroboost brakes, 33" BFG Mud Terrains

Comment

• norville
                  258 I6
                  • Dec 04, 2002

Bear, If your really in a pinch you could use that thin rolled copper tubing. Or replace the bad section wth some rubber line till it's fixed correctly. I agree with the rest it should be fixed, a couple of pinholes means there might be lots. Trust me, gas really does a number on blacktop.

norville
                  If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is

Comment

• andy d
                    Shade Tree Shaman
                    • May 06, 2000

uhhmn you probably can do this w/o dropping the tank. you can reach the line thru the inspection cover under the rear seat. if the skid plate interfers with the exact route, get creative. BTW, check the pickup right where it enters the tank.thats where mine have gone in the past.
                    \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• Subconscious
                      327 Rambler
                      • Mar 30, 2003

Definately replace the hard line. In a pinch, rub a bar of soap on the offending hole. I know this will temporarily seal a gas tank, but I'm not sure if it will hold up to the pressure of a fuel line.
                      1987 Grand Wagoneer, bone stock 360/727/229, 44s w/3.31s front and rear

Comment

Just Light it up!!!! BQBear is good anyhow
                        Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
                        Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• Brown Bear
                          304 AMC
                          • Apr 09, 2000

How bout them windshields??
                          NathanielButts
                          IFSJA Member #18
                          RIP-USS Minnow-The three hour tour is over.
                          MacGuyver - 1985 Grand Wagoneer
                          TFI, Edel Intake, Holley 80457S (yeah, it's shiney), K8600, K&N, Taylor Wires, Ford HD springs, and way freakin' cooooooool

Comment

• Retro93
                            Junk Collector
                            • Nov 02, 2001

Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman:
                            Just Light it up!!!! BQBear is good anyhow
                            Originally posted by Brown Bear:
                            How bout them windshields??
                            ROFLMAO! BQBear and broken glass. Now there is a treat. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                            79 Cherokee Chief WT "RDBLOK" warmed over 360, TH400/QT, 4.10 Truetrac F/Detroit Locker R, 4" Skyjacker Softride System, Rancho 9000 shocks with in cab adjust, Hydroboost brakes, 33" BFG Mud Terrains

Comment

• miked
                              350 Buick
                              • Oct 17, 2000

make it easy, replace the hard line with rubber line and some clamps. cheap and effective.

ziptie it up and out of the way so that its safe.
                              Mike D'Ambrogia - Sonora, CA
                              66 J2000 - "Speedy"
                              Buick 350-th400-D20-D44 front-D53 rear w/powr-lok front and rear
                              Do the Single Relay Headlight Wiring Upgrade for Early Jeep Wagoneers modification...

Comment

Working...
                              X