78 Wagoneer, Building a driver! New Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

Happy Easter to all my friends here at IFSJA!!!! Engine is back in a million pieces, well maybe not a million.
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
      304 AMC
      • Jul 20, 2014

Crank looks good, one cylinder has a deep grove in it. Monday I'am going to pull all the oil galley plugs out and pressure wash the block, then get it over to the machine shop.
      1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
      Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
        304 AMC
        • Jul 20, 2014

1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
          304 AMC
          • Jul 20, 2014

Cam shaft paper weight.
          1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
            304 AMC
            • Jul 20, 2014

Lifter paper weight.
            1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• bkilby
              350 Buick
              • Jan 10, 2016

Bummer on the cam. Hopefully the repair won't cost too much.
              1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                258 I6
                • Dec 17, 2018

Wishing you the best of luck at the machine shop, seriously a bummer. Happy belated Easter!
                Some call me Taylor...

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
                Pewter, Blue Interior, Original 401
                PO swapped in a 360, soon to be a 401 again!
                "Soon" is a relative term.
                Cracked cylinder put a hurt on me + bad connecting rods.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

Man, that lifter looks like it had NO oil on it. You showed solid pressure and I am 100% sure you had assembly lube on there so I wonder if that particular lifter bore was messed up or the lifter itself was messed up. When you look at the lifter bore, does it look clean/free of burs/scratches? are the sides of the lifter scratched/messed up? If you mic the lifter, is it round? Maybe have the machinist check the lifter bores for roundness?

The next lobe in the picture looks healthy. Do any of the other lobes look jacked up at all? Even a little?

I wouldn't be scared to re-used that rod bearing if it plasti-gauged OK.
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                  (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                  79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                  09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SJTD
                    304 AMC
                    • Apr 26, 2012

Are the scoring and bad lifters the same cylinder?
                    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                      304 AMC
                      • Jul 20, 2014

All lifter bores were within specs when the machine work was done. The bad scratch is in cylinder #2. #4 exhaust lobe and #6 intake lobe are the two that were wiped.
                      1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                        304 AMC
                        • Jul 20, 2014

Engine is back at the machine shop. He took a quick look at everything and gave me a (this ain't to bad) probably just to make me feel better. He won't get to it for a few weeks, which will surely turn into 4 weeks without question. We are going to rework a few things tomorrow. Going with a solid lift cam and the EDM lifters with the oiling hole, PN 2901-16. Also going with a 2500 stall converter because of the bigger cam.
                        1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 20, 2014

Been a while. Been chipping away at cleaning everything up to get this thing back together. Lots of time spent bagging and storing everything so it stays clean. Pain in the rear, but it is done.
                          Last edited by Full Size Jeeper; 06-06-2019, 05:38 AM.
                          1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                            304 AMC
                            • Jul 20, 2014

Picked up all my stuff from the machine shop last Friday. My son Jake and I put the crank, rods, and pistons in today.
                            1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

Woooooooooooo hooooooooooo!!!!!
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                                304 AMC
                                • Jul 20, 2014

Man I love having him help me with this project. It will be great memories for
                                him to look back on later in life.
                                1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

Working...
                                X