X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jsice78
    232 I6
    • May 23, 2011

It the same color as mine. Almost the same situation as me been sitting rusting for the past year. why did you choose a d44 for the front and not a d60? Also what did you use to weld up all the holes. Would like to see more pictures of the axle mounting. Here a few of mine http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/...ps88992b5b.jpg

72 wagoneer
    AMC 360, th400, Dana 20
    Hydroboost with Corvette mc
    35" Goodrich MT with Kevlar
    2'' custom body lift
    SOA with crazy amount of lift

Comment

• Etcetera
      258 I6
      • Mar 09, 2010

The D44 was nearly free and I wasn't finding a decent deal on a 60 at the time. I'm fairly sure the 44 will live with the kind of wheeling I do and it's the same width as the 14 bolt.

I used a mig welder to weld up the holes. Back the hole with a piece of copper or aluminum and they will weld up really easy.

Front axle mounts just like they do stock in a chevy truck. SOA. bolts right in except for steering.

I'll get some pics of the rear today or tomorrow. Basically I used some 3x4 .250 wall rectangle tube. Cut a piece on the diagonal and made some front hangers. Shackles are pretty standard, punched some holes in some 3/8" plate at work. It's not done, I need to box the frame where the front hangers are attached.

Yours looks very very nice. Hope to have mine in similar condition this summer.

Eric

Originally posted by jsice78
      It the same color as mine. Almost the same situation as me been sitting rusting for the past year. why did you choose a d44 for the front and not a d60? Also what did you use to weld up all the holes. Would like to see more pictures of the axle mounting. Here a few of mine http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/...ps88992b5b.jpg

http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/...8/IMAG0115.jpg
      Eric
      La Habra, CA
      75 Wagoneer

Comment

• jsice78
        232 I6
        • May 23, 2011

I just bought a cj with a built up d44 and 14 bolt with 4.88 gears and lockers installed for cheap. That's why I asked iv been trying to find a d60 but I think the cost will be to much. I hope to have the rear axle installed in the next few weeks. I want to start on the body work before summer I'm planning on wt fender front and rear. I miss driving it everyday.
        72 wagoneer
        AMC 360, th400, Dana 20
        Hydroboost with Corvette mc
        35" Goodrich MT with Kevlar
        2'' custom body lift
        SOA with crazy amount of lift

Comment

• Etcetera
          258 I6
          • Mar 09, 2010

Messed around with it a bit more today, I think I've settled on about 114" wheelbase. Here's a pic of how it currently sits. The rear is about 1 inch higher than the front, not going to worry about it until it's all together and driving. I'll probably raise the front a tad. Need to get bumper built and winch mounted. Gotta finish up the gas tank in the rear. Frame sits at 20-21 inches. Everything is just tacked in place right now, will think about it a bit before welding it.

Eric
          La Habra, CA
          75 Wagoneer

Comment

• Etcetera
            258 I6
            • Mar 09, 2010

Getting the drivetrain together.

454/TH400 from a motorhome. I got to drive this before we parted it out. Ran strong, doesn't leak.

Combining this planetary gear set from a NP241C

with this kit from D and D machine

to make a doubler.

Still looking for a decent price on a NP205. Might have found one, will find out tomorrow.

I need to finish welding my spring mounts so I can load it up on a trailer and take it to work. Fork lift, jib crane, iron worker, plasma, etc, etc. Should make getting the BBC in place a little easier.
            Eric
            La Habra, CA
            75 Wagoneer

Comment

• Etcetera
              258 I6
              • Mar 09, 2010

Here's a few pics of how I did the shackle hangers. It's a piece of 1/8 inch plate bent into a U shape and then interlocked with the frame. I used ruffstuff specialties bushing kit. If you have access to a set of electricians punches, the punch for 1.5" emt is almost perfect to slip 2" DOM into. First I welded the tube to the frame rail, then slipped the 1/8 plate over it and welded it in. This let me weld both ends of the tube fully. The plate didn't go to the end of the tube on the inside to make it easier to weld, no grinding needed to make it flat for the flange of the bushing. To give a ball park of where the springs are located, measuring from the rear of the front eye to the rear of the frame is 68 and 7/16" on each side.

You can kind of see the front hangers in the last pic, but it's just a piece of 3.5" quarter wall square tubing cut on a diagonal.

Rear is obviously burned in, the front could still be changed, but I think I like it where it's at. Still need u-bolts and plates, my stockers aren't very good.
              Last edited by Etcetera; 06-01-2013, 04:22 PM.
              Eric
              La Habra, CA
              75 Wagoneer

Comment

• Etcetera
                258 I6
                • Mar 09, 2010

Kind of a small milestone, transmission and transfer case are out. Went pretty smoothly, no stuck bolts.

I'm sitting about 1.25 inches higher in the rear. After the 454 and stuff is in, I plan on leveling it out. I'll probably french the front hanger of the rear spring into the frame.
                Last edited by Etcetera; 06-03-2013, 05:25 PM.
                Eric
                La Habra, CA
                75 Wagoneer

Comment

• Sambo
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Sep 25, 2001

i have nothing but great deals with Dan from ruffstuff
                  also i did a 231 box for rocks kit,so far its holding up! even after i blew out a rear driveshaft! i mangled it in the rocks,driver error!!

Originally posted by Etcetera
                  Disk brake brackets from Ruff Stuff Specialties. 99% sure that's where I ordered them from 6 months ago, lol.

For e-brakes I can use the stock 14 bolt drums attached to chains like anchors, lol.

Just found chevy 63's for the rear!!! now for the front, 52's maybe.
                  Last edited by Sambo; 06-04-2013, 11:38 AM.
                  77 chero DEAD.
                  84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

• Etcetera
                    258 I6
                    • Mar 09, 2010

Yup, always been first class when I ordered. Met him at the offroad expo in So Cal a couple years ago, nice guy.

With a little luck the engine will be out in the next hour or 2. Hopefully will have enough lift with my cherry picker to yank it out, already pulled the front wheels to lower it some.

Originally posted by Sambo
                    also i did a 231 box for rocks kit,so far its holding up! even after i blew out a rear driveshaft! i mangled it in the rocks,driver error!!
                    Eric
                    La Habra, CA
                    75 Wagoneer

Comment

• Etcetera
                      258 I6
                      • Mar 09, 2010

Somehow I missed that you have a doubler. What axle ratio are you running, tire size? I would imagine the low crawl ratio was pretty nice.

Originally posted by Sambo
                      Eric
                      La Habra, CA
                      75 Wagoneer

Comment

• ThaCrabapple
                        232 I6
                        • Feb 22, 2013

What year is the 454 out of? Good choice.
                        1979 Jeep Cherokee
                        AMC 360(Edelbrock everything...)
                        TH400 Hurst Shifter
                        6" Lift
                        35s

Beauty.

Comment

• Etcetera
                          258 I6
                          • Mar 09, 2010

Pretty sure it's an 86. 4 bolt main from a P30 chassis. The transmission is actually a TH475, basically a turbo 400 with straight cut gears in the first planetary.

Originally posted by ThaCrabapple
                          What year is the 454 out of? Good choice.
                          Eric
                          La Habra, CA
                          75 Wagoneer

Comment

• Etcetera
                            258 I6
                            • Mar 09, 2010

So I was going to modify and use this 80's bronco tank I have, but I decided a little more capacity might be a good idea. Thinking about building one. My boss gave me about half a sheet of 11 gauge sheetmetal at work, and I already have half a sheet of galvanized 11 gauge. Might be enough to put together a nice tank. I'm pretty sure galvanized is ok in a gas tank, probably a good thing. I already know about the precautions one must take before welding galvanized.

I think I can fit a 30x30x8 tank in the back while only hanging .5 inches below the frame rail. That's just under 32 gallons, or about 4 gallons per inch of depth. The frame sweeps up in the back, about 27 inches to the frame rail from the ground. About 22 inches between the front and rear wheels. A 40 gallon tank would hang down 2.5 inches below the frame rail.

What do you guys think? Should I keep it as tight as possible, or let it hang a bit?

Either way I'll build a nice skid.
                            Eric
                            La Habra, CA
                            75 Wagoneer

Comment

• Etcetera
                              258 I6
                              • Mar 09, 2010

Another milestone, old engine is out, going to try and get the firewall patched up this weekend. I'm going to mount the new engine so the trans pan is just a tad higher than the bottom of the frame rail, or at least as close to that as possible. The stock mounting location was about an inch and a half higher than that.

Look at all that room! I've heard the vacuum brake booster won't clear a big block, no worries, hydroboost is in the works.

Stock engine and trans, they served her well. Someone needs them I'm sure.

Not sure yet, but the brake plumbing might be in the way if I drop the engine an inch or 2.

Look, it's level!
                              Last edited by Etcetera; 06-07-2013, 07:14 PM.
                              Eric
                              La Habra, CA
                              75 Wagoneer

Comment

• Etcetera
                                258 I6
                                • Mar 09, 2010

I've been measuring things.

The 454 with accesories is about 1 inch shorter than a 360 from bellhousing mounting surface to the front of the water pump.

The 454 is about half an inch wider than a 360. Both measured with exhaust manifolds mounted.

The 454 is about 2 inches taller than a 360 measured at the air cleaner mounting surface of the carb.

Not sure why it looks so much bigger, it's really not.

The quadratrac gear reduction box sticks out the back, not the front like many T-cases. My rear yoke will be pretty close to the same spot as stock, maybe slightly further back. My front yoke will move about 6" towards the rear. This will help driveline angles in the front. Overall the box4rocks and np205 will be about the same length as a quadratrac.

Ordered a rebuild kit for the th400. The correct rear output shaft is on the way, along with a th400 to np241/np208 adapter.

Hoping to have the firewall cleaned up today, and maybe get the 454 sitting in there for mock up tomorrow. Going to try and get the th400 rebuilt during the week so I can have it and the engine mounted in place next weekend.

After that I'll be working on bumpers. Gotta figure out something cool to mount my winch up front.

Lots of work to do. I'd like to have it finished before they close Johnson Valley.
                                Last edited by Etcetera; 06-08-2013, 12:32 PM.
                                Eric
                                La Habra, CA
                                75 Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
                                X