• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepsarecool
    230 Tornado
    • Feb 16, 2018

New Guy from Alabama

Hello everyone. I've stumbled my way over here from jeepforum. I sold my last CJ7 a few years ago. Lately, I've been thinking I need another one. But, while browsing, the FSJ's keep catching my eye. I've just about talked myself into going that way. I'm probably getting too old to enjoy a CJ anyway. I've always loved the look of the old wagons. So, I'm here to do some research and to let you guys talk me into it. We're in the middle of some home repairs, so my smarter half has put her foot down on an immediate purchase, but I have the go ahead for later this year.

Anyway, hi.
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

What's your goal,intended use and budget and willingness/time to do maint? If you're looking to get into a cheap modern reliable daily driver expect a lot of time for DIY maint. Hone up you're electrical diagnostic skills. If ya gotta have a shop maintain it, at least work out a deal with the shop owner so he will take you fishing in the new boat you bought him. Most are never ending projects that you own for love and fun not practicality or to save on monthly payments. Not trying to talk you out of one but they do take a time/money commitment so keep doing your homework and evaluate your priorities. Yup fancy cushy station wagons but there are reasons the initial buy-in is so cheap.
    Best of luck.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• jeepsarecool
      230 Tornado
      • Feb 16, 2018

Originally posted by joe
      What's your goal,intended use and budget and willingness/time to do maint? If you're looking to get into a cheap modern reliable daily driver expect a lot of time for DIY maint. Hone up you're electrical diagnostic skills. If ya gotta have a shop maintain it, at least work out a deal with the shop owner so he will take you fishing in the new boat you bought him. Most are never ending projects that you own for love and fun not practicality or to save on monthly payments. Not trying to talk you out of one but they do take a time/money commitment so keep doing your homework and evaluate your priorities. Yup fancy cushy station wagons but there are reasons the initial buy-in is so cheap.
      Best of luck.

Just a toy to work on and enjoy. I spent many years with CJ's. I'm familiar with the never ending money pit concept.

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
        Cherokee Outlaw
        • Jan 10, 2006

Welcome! Hopefully the prices of these things start dropping again soon so it'll be cheaper to enjoy our hobby
        -Jonny B.
        1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
        7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
        AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
        NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
        F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
        R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
        1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
        1979 Wagoneer - Sold
        1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
          304 AMC
          • Jul 20, 2014

As soon as mine is done, prices will bottom out and never recover, that is just my luck.
          1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
          Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

Working...
          X