• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Your thoughts on TBI Fuel Injector cleaning services

I have my 1991 454 TBI disassembled and cleaned. I am ordering this gasket set (unless someone recommends otherwise):

I soaked my fuel injectors in Alcohol and took a small wire brush to them but I have no way of knowing if they are "clean". I Measured resistance across the posts and both are the same (about .5ohms) but I have no idea how many miles were on this TBI when I bought it, nor do I know if it has ever been serviced so I have no idea if these injectors are any good.

So part of me wants to spend the ~$50 to send my 2 injectors out to be cleaned so I "know" I am starting with good/fresh injectors and I don't have trouble getting it to run correctly:
    These are the steps we perform when servicing your injectors

There are lots of different places that offer this service but with shipping included, this guy seems the most reasonable.

What are your guys' thoughts? do you ever send your injectors out for service? is it worth it? Should I just install them and if they suck, send them out later?
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Ship ?em out, I?ve used his services twice.
    Best to know vs. guess on flow rates.
    With the fuel they sell nowadays yours could easily be in sorry shape.

Last set I sent him were a fresh JY pick.
    One of them was far below acceptable until cleaned.
    Would have been an issue had I just ran ?em.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Sigh. okie dokie. Out they will go.

I am finding a DIY TBI system isn't as cheap as my initial estimate. All these costs keep adding up. By the time this thing is running on my engine I'll be close to 8 hundred bucks. My starting estimate was about $500. Here is my current status (red text denotes estimates on parts I haven't purchased yet).

Costs so far:
      Harness and most sensors: $65
      454 Throttle Body: $100
      Computer: $60
      Relays and fuse blocks: $45
      Throttle body rebuild kit: $40
      Fuel injector cleaning: $50
      Fuel pump: $45
      Vehicle Speed Sensor: $110

IAC adapter: $15
      New aluminum Fuel line (supply side): $45
      New O2 Sensor: $35 (getting a 4 wire)
      New Coolant Temp Sensor: $6

Conduit/wiring: $30
      TBI to intake adapter: $30
      Soft Fuel Injection fuel lines and fittings: $30
      Unknowns: $100

I haven't focused/researched EEPROMS yet. I have 10 chips at home but I haven't figured out how to program them so I don't know how much that will be yet, either. Hopefully it falls into my "unknowns" budget line item.
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• ShagWagon
        350 Buick
        • Apr 10, 2016

I think the 400hp entry level fitech is $800 if I remember right.
        87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by ShagWagon
          I think the 400hp entry level fitech is $800 if I remember right.
          Yes, but not legal in CA, and requires more expensive fuel system.
          Also no timing control, etc.
          Tony

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

[QUOTE=babywag]Yes, but not legal in CA[QUOTE]
            That's why I went this way.

I think my DIY TBI will be better in the long run compared to FiTech because of the timing control, EGR control, serviceability (GM parts), and the amount of technical support on the interwebs for these systems. I love that I have picked up almost all my parts at the local wrecking yards. I also like the idea if I add a 700R4 or 4L60, I can use the same computer to use a lockup torque converter. The fuse boxes and relay center I list will also be used for more than just the EFI so although I bought them for EFI, they will save me a negligible amount of money on other projects.
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• yossarian19
              258 I6
              • Nov 13, 2016

Uhh, with a DIY tbi setup, how is that legal in CA?
              The howell kit is legal because it's a tested Howell EFI kit, not because TBI > Carb. You'll need a BAR sticker to get it past smog..

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

Good point.
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by yossarian19
                  Uhh, with a DIY tbi setup, how is that legal in CA?
                  The howell kit is legal because it's a tested Howell EFI kit, not because TBI > Carb. You'll need a BAR sticker to get it past smog..
                  It?s legal with a ref. visit. It?s OEM stuff unlike the fitech.
                  No way the ref for my area would approve an aftermarket system like fitech.
                  It?s been done, and if Howell EO & documents used as reference it?ll fly.
                  Tony

Comment

• ShagWagon
                    350 Buick
                    • Apr 10, 2016

Man that is so stupid.

Is the point of smog control to improve air quality? Or to funnel people's funds to Howell who probably paid a politician for the right to be exclusive...

Aftermarket or not it's still overall better than a carb for the environment. Maybe they should be fined for being stupid till they fall in line with reality and common sense.
                    87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

Man that is so stupid.

Is the point of smog control to improve air quality? Or to funnel people's funds to Howell who probably paid a politician for the right to be exclusive...

Aftermarket or not it's still overall better than a carb for the environment. Maybe they should be fined for being stupid till they fall in line with reality and common sense.
                      It's ALL about $$$, when it comes to aftermarket+EO.
                      The cost to get an EO for a product is pretty expensive. I briefly investigated on getting a system certified for Jeeps...~$25k. Would have to sell a load of them to get that $ back.

MSD got an EO for their Atomic TBI system, but only for Chevy vehicles.
                      I'd venture a guess that a reasonable ref. would pass/allow that system on a Jeep. But like you said "STUPID".
                      My though is what difference does it make what is under the hood so long as what comes out the pipe(s) is clean.

But, back on topic...My '90 is a GM TBI (not Howell), it is legal.
                      Tony

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                        Shakes hands with danger
                        • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                        What are your guys' thoughts? do you ever send your injectors out for service? is it worth it? Should I just install them and if they suck, send them out later?
                        Send them out now. Witchhunter is very thorough and very reasonably priced - I have used them before and will again.

Last edited by DarkMonohue; 11-04-2017, 08:44 AM.
                        '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                        High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                          Shakes hands with danger
                          • Jul 01, 2012

Only if tuned properly. The factory carb, with factory settings, is a known commodity. EFI installed and tuned by someone who has not proven to the state that it meets their definition of clean and legal is very much an unknown commodity. It could still be tuned for the vehicle from which the parts came, or worse yet, tuned by ear by someone with no training, no skill, no metering equipment, no interest in their pedantic and invasive approval methods, etc.

This is a bureaucracy; it's all about following the rules and covering your own butt. To ensure the rules get followed, they issue crippling penalties to those who think differently. Whether the results are better or worse is beside the point.

The smog tech or ref determines that the vehicle produces clean exhaust by counting parts under the hood. Then they use the sniffer to tell them whether those parts are functioning correctly. The sniffer itself is not the authority on the condition of the exhaust gases - probably because the state cannot threaten a machine with steep fines for making honest mistakes or using its own discretion.
                          Last edited by DarkMonohue; 11-04-2017, 08:48 AM.
                          '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                          Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                          High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

Working...
                          X