V8 cam, intake and carb swap +Random pics of 8600/1406/3731 going in...almost there!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shiner2001
    350 Buick
    • Feb 19, 2008

This week away from home is killing me. I am ready to get back to the Jeep and get all this hooked up. I REALLY appreciate everyone's insight, the more I see and read about it, the more it all kind of comes together, and hopefully someone else will be able to pull this up sometime and get as much out of it as I have.

As for now...it's hurry up and wait...
    Derek
    ----------------
    1973 Wagoneer 360
    1978 Cherokee 360
    1981 J10 360

----------------
    1964 El Camino 357
    1972 C10 454 LS6
    1979 Corvette L82
    1979 Scout II 345
    1988 YJ 4.2L
    1991 YJ 4.3L
    1990 Suburban V2500 350
    1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
    2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------
    "If it's not broken, fix it 'till it is."

Comment

• shaolinsifu
      232 I6
      • Nov 21, 2008

Derek,
      what kit did you buy for the throttle linkage to hook up, I had to "borrow" the ball stud from my son's project f150 to install the throttle cable,but I had to rig the return spring...
      85 Grand Wag:360 *219k* 4bl 1406, tfi upgrade, rear 3" blocks,front(get this) "rear"shackle drop kit (net 5" lift) , 265.70.16 bfg at's,flomaster40,boobie grille swap

Comment

• Stumblinman
        232 I6
        • Apr 03, 2007

Whoa. You have to go to Edelbrock.com and check out their tech pages.
        Edelbrock is the most respected name in performance! Since 1938, Edelbrock has manufactured its core products in the USA for quality and performance.

The rear is for the vacuum for the brakes. The carb (if new) should have come with a hookup for it and a plug. Don't use the driver's side vacuum for the distributor. Use the passenger side one. It's timed. That means when you are at idle you have no vacuum advance (which is what you want) If you don't think so then try hooking it up to both and you'll see a noticable difference. You could use the manifold vacuum but it really cleans things up when you go with a central place everything is hooked up to. I cannot help with any emissions vacuum though.
        It's not the leaks that bother me, it's when they stop that makes me worried.

1988 Waggy SOA stretched, cut, Chevy R. 4" springs in front, shackle reversed, stock springs reversed in back, Edelbrock manifold and carb, mini-spooled front, lunchbox rear, currently on spaced 35s.
        www.FairbanksOffroadLions.com

Comment

• Lindel
          Perfesser of Jeepology
          • Jun 15, 2000

Both the ports that are labeled for PCV and brake go to the same place, manifold vacuum. It won't make any difference which you hook up to where. The carb won't know and neither will the PCV or brake booster.
          Jeep Grounds
          RRV Homepage
          Texas Full Size Jeep Association
          1987 Grand Wagoneer
          AMC 360/TF727/NP229
          1999 Wrangler Sport
          4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• smearig
            232 I6
            • Dec 20, 2007

Originally posted by Stumblinman
            Whoa. You have to go to Edelbrock.com and check out their tech pages.
            Edelbrock is the most respected name in performance! Since 1938, Edelbrock has manufactured its core products in the USA for quality and performance.

The rear is for the vacuum for the brakes. The carb (if new) should have come with a hookup for it and a plug. Don't use the driver's side vacuum for the distributor. Use the passenger side one. It's timed. That means when you are at idle you have no vacuum advance (which is what you want) If you don't think so then try hooking it up to both and you'll see a noticable difference. You could use the manifold vacuum but it really cleans things up when you go with a central place everything is hooked up to. I cannot help with any emissions vacuum though.
            The manual for the HEI says to use non-ported vacuum. The big port on the front is for the PCV and the rear is for power brakes. I have mine hooked up like this and it runs great.
            1983 WT Cherokee
            2003 Ram 2500
            2003 Bandit 1200s

Comment

• Stumblinman
              232 I6
              • Apr 03, 2007

Originally posted by smearig
              The manual for the HEI says to use non-ported vacuum. The big port on the front is for the PCV and the rear is for power brakes. I have mine hooked up like this and it runs great.
              The small port on the left is not ported. It is timed. Meaning you have no vacuum when you are at idle. It kicks in later when you need it. If you need active vacuum advance when you are at idle then you need to relook your timing.

1988 Waggy SOA stretched, cut, Chevy R. 4" springs in front, shackle reversed, stock springs reversed in back, Edelbrock manifold and carb, mini-spooled front, lunchbox rear, currently on spaced 35s.

Comment

• Chris P.
                350 Buick
                • Oct 12, 2003

The small port on the left is not ported. It is timed. Meaning you have no vacuum when you are at idle
                Which is also called ported vacuum.

It kicks in later when you need it. If you need active vacuum advance when you are at idle then you need to relook your timing.
                Many of us here run straight manifold vac to the dizzy. Once the throttle plates are past the ported vacuum venturi, there is no difference between ported and manifold vac. Running manifold vac to the dizzy will result in better throttle response and cooler and smoother idling.
                79 J10 Honcho 360/T-18/D20
                Summit 8600 cam, GM TBI
                78 Wagoneer 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• Stumblinman
                  232 I6
                  • Apr 03, 2007

OK sorry I don't know what I was thinking. Yes ported = timed.
                  I've heard a lot of different people with different theoris about ported or manifold to the distributor. As far as fact goes... The thermal CTO (the thing with the 3 prongs on it) is there to move from ported to manifold. The sole reason to change which vacuum goes to the distributor was to help cool the engine. The engineers decided that to cool a hot engine they should increase the rpm to increase coolant flow and air flow from the fan. So under normal idle there would be no vacuum advance (ported) and if the engine would heat up to whatever level the CTO is set at then it would switch to manifold vacuum which would increase RPM to try to cool the engine down. I've found these an engines from the '70s and '80s. So going by this running straight off the manifold will not give you a cooler running engine unless you keep the idle RPM at a higher rate than normal. And by setting the timing (without vacuum hooked up) and then hooking straight to the manifold and decreasing the idle RPM to a standard number it seems you would actually be counteracting the vacuum advance. The ported vacuum only kicks on when you open the throttle which increases the RPM and is the time you would actually want a timing advance. And I think if I was running a drag race I would want straight manifold vacuum because I would only run at WOT.

OK where did I go wrong with this one ?

Comment

• Ristow
                    • Jan 20, 2006

OK sorry I don't know what I was thinking. Yes ported = timed.
                    I've heard a lot of different people with different theoris about ported or manifold to the distributor. As far as fact goes... The thermal CTO (the thing with the 3 prongs on it) is there to move from ported to manifold. The sole reason to change which vacuum goes to the distributor was to help cool the engine. The engineers decided that to cool a hot engine they should increase the rpm to increase coolant flow and air flow from the fan. So under normal idle there would be no vacuum advance (ported) and if the engine would heat up to whatever level the CTO is set at then it would switch to manifold vacuum which would increase RPM to try to cool the engine down. I've found these an engines from the '70s and '80s. So going by this running straight off the manifold will not give you a cooler running engine unless you keep the idle RPM at a higher rate than normal. And by setting the timing (without vacuum hooked up) and then hooking straight to the manifold and decreasing the idle RPM to a standard number it seems you would actually be counteracting the vacuum advance. The ported vacuum only kicks on when you open the throttle which increases the RPM and is the time you would actually want a timing advance. And I think if I was running a drag race I would want straight manifold vacuum because I would only run at WOT.

OK where did I go wrong with this one ?

ported vacuum to the distributor is an emissions move. it works by RAISING combustion temps at idle by RETARDING ignition at idle.

switching to manifold vacuum will noticably raise your idle speed with no other adjustments-because the engine is idling more efficiently. it will also idle COOLER-due to LOWER combustion temps.

that is why the engine will cool down when switched from ported to manifold by the cto.

lean charges take longer to burn than rich charges. idle/cruising charges are lean. acceleration/heavy throttle are rich. the vacuum advance adjusts for that. running the vacuum advance on manifold vacuum gives the engine the needed advance at idle it needs.it will be noticably more responsive on the throttle.

if i were running a race engine i wouldn't use a vacuum advance at all.
                    Originally posted by Hankrod
                    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                    I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• tgreening
                      258 I6
                      • Jan 06, 2008

One thing I had to do on my waggy when I used that carb was to use a really thick carb spacer, about an inch thick I think. Without it I had been getting pretty bad stumbling issues from the carb getting too hot and fuel boiling out. I can't pull the proper description out of my brain right now but I know someone out there will have it at the ready. Other than that it ran great and believe it or not I was pulling about 14.5 mpg on the highway on a 360 turning 33s with 3.31 gears.
                      Last edited by tgreening; 02-21-2009, 02:09 PM.
                      83-ish V8 CJ/7 SOA 37" MTR
                      79 CJ7 Q/T, 258, 31's
                      77 CJ5, V8, 33's
                      94 Cherokee, 31's
                      68 J-3000, 232, 3 on the tree (under the knife soon)
                      78 J10, 360, Q/T, auto. Sacrificial lamb.
                      78 J20, 360, Q/T auto. Future unknown.
                      75 J20, 360, Q/T, auto. Reprieved sacrifice.
                      73 J20, 232, D20, 3spd. Axle sacrifice

Comment

• shiner2001
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 19, 2008

All great info about the ported and manifold vacs. I have been away from my computer for several days, so it's nice to catch up.

Tgreening, were you using the 3731 intake manifold as well? Anyone else have that fuel boiling problem?
                        Derek
                        ----------------
                        1973 Wagoneer 360
                        1978 Cherokee 360
                        1981 J10 360

----------------
                        1964 El Camino 357
                        1972 C10 454 LS6
                        1979 Corvette L82
                        1979 Scout II 345
                        1988 YJ 4.2L
                        1991 YJ 4.3L
                        1990 Suburban V2500 350
                        1998 Mark VIII 4.6L
                        2001 Yukon 5.3L

----------------
                        "If it's not broken, fix it 'till it is."

Comment

• Stumblinman
                          232 I6
                          • Apr 03, 2007

Ok here I go again.
                          I've seen the problem on them and even a high rise Offenhauser intake. It has been remedied by a simple square bore riser. (the one with 4 holes)

Comment

• Lindel
                            Perfesser of Jeepology
                            • Jun 15, 2000

Blocking the exhaust riser will help too. A set of real intake gaskets (Mr. Gasket makes them) will cover the offending holes in the heads and block off a LOT of heat going in the vicinity of the carb.

That, and an insulating (phenolic) carb spacer will go a long way to solving vapor lock, even back home...
                            Jeep Grounds
                            RRV Homepage
                            Texas Full Size Jeep Association
                            1987 Grand Wagoneer
                            AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                            1999 Wrangler Sport
                            4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• tgreening
                              258 I6
                              • Jan 06, 2008

Originally posted by shiner2001
                              All great info about the ported and manifold vacs. I have been away from my computer for several days, so it's nice to catch up.

Tgreening, were you using the 3731 intake manifold as well? Anyone else have that fuel boiling problem?
                              Not sure about the manifold part number but it was a edlebrock performer. Pretty run of the mill. The spacer was a phenolic spacer I picked up at summit racing and it solved the problem. The first spacer I tried was about 1/4-3/8" thick and it didnt do the trick at all. The second one was about 1" and the problem went away. I ended up changing that carb out because of its off-road reputation (or lack thereof I guess) and put on a holley truck avenger because of its good off-road rep. Of course I ended up yanking THAT after my fuel mileage dropped about 3.5mpg and put on howell efi. I figure I might have been able to tune away that fuel loss, or at least some of it, but then I remembered that was what I was trying to get away from, fiddling with carbs.

I always get there in the end but I never claimed to do it the smart way.
                              Last edited by tgreening; 02-23-2009, 07:41 AM.
                              83-ish V8 CJ/7 SOA 37" MTR
                              79 CJ7 Q/T, 258, 31's
                              77 CJ5, V8, 33's
                              94 Cherokee, 31's
                              68 J-3000, 232, 3 on the tree (under the knife soon)
                              78 J10, 360, Q/T, auto. Sacrificial lamb.
                              78 J20, 360, Q/T auto. Future unknown.
                              75 J20, 360, Q/T, auto. Reprieved sacrifice.
                              73 J20, 232, D20, 3spd. Axle sacrifice

Comment

• shiner2001
                                350 Buick
                                • Feb 19, 2008

Originally posted by shaolinsifu
                                Derek,
                                what kit did you buy for the throttle linkage to hook up, I had to "borrow" the ball stud from my son's project f150 to install the throttle cable,but I had to rig the return spring...
                                I was going back through and rereading this thread and realized that I missed this post when it was put up. I didn't buy anything additional for the linkage (yet). The new carb came with what I needed to hook it up. The only thing I may end up having to do is either get the Lokar trans kickdown or just fab something to work.

Sorry about missing the question shaolinsifu...my bad!
                                Derek
                                ----------------
                                1973 Wagoneer 360
                                1978 Cherokee 360
                                1981 J10 360

----------------
                                1964 El Camino 357
                                1972 C10 454 LS6
                                1979 Corvette L82
                                1979 Scout II 345
                                1988 YJ 4.2L
                                1991 YJ 4.3L