International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

View Poll Results: which drive-train?
6.2/3053a 5 3.94%
6.2/nv4500 24 18.90%
6bt 76 59.84%
SBC or BBC on CNG or LPG 1 0.79%
Toroflow v-6 diesel 5 3.94%
machinist is full of stinky poo 16 12.60%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #101  
Old 10-17-2011, 08:51 AM
ReevesDiesel ReevesDiesel is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 05, 2011
Location: Mabank
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger4X
No market for it I dont understand how this could be true. Everybody is clamoring for better MPGs and saving money so how can that statement be close to accurate? I'd hedge my bet that its got something to do with OPEC or some self serving group interest. Sounds a bit conspiracy theorist, but it is what it is.

This is a subject that I find very interesting. I am determined to learn more about the inner workings of our system. As a country we often sabotage ourselves and our opportunity for growth and innovation. for reasons I don't fully understand.

My wife and I travel abroad quite often, after returning from a trip to Belize and seeing that every singe vehicle was operated on diesel fuel. I returned home with some expected frustrations with our choices in the US market.

Being a life Long diesel mechanic my mind began to wonder what I can do to change this situation. My only answers were to start doing diesel conversions to help facilitate the few while I research and learn the short falls in our system that prevent the masses from excepting the gift of higher fuel mileage, lower fuel bills, longer engine life and yes, more power. Diesel can be very fun to drive and reliable!
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 10-17-2011, 12:01 PM
joe joe is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 28, 2000
Location: PNWet, USA
Posts: 21,953
I agree with you but good luck on what you can do about it. Dsl has big obstacles and no it's not OPEC or the gas companies. The big ones are C.A.R.B.and the EPA. CARB hates the D word and has a lot of political power. One of the biggest reasons gas/dsl is so expensive is not supply/demand or the price of crude but lack of refineries. We could be floating in crude oil and the price of the finished product won't change. We haven't build a new refinery since 1973 and the ones we've got are old, maint intensive and already producing at max capacity 24/7/365. EPA needs to regroup and get real at least for a bit till we get some plants built.The last few decades have done a lot to dispel the old GM flop fear of dsl days. These years of dsl powered pickups has done much to show people yeah dsl works well for the average guy. There IS a market here for dsl cars that many companies would love to be part of but getting a dsl car past DOT/EPA certification for exporting is crazy expensive. Study up on what the greenies are always saying and help dispell those lies. Yeah the see an old dsl bus blowing black smoke and scream pollution. Yup they pollute too but with less harmfull effects than gaso exhaust. Dsl smoke is visible because it carries particulate matter like smoke from your wood stove but that junk settles unlike invisible gasoline exhaust gases that rise into the ozone and cause harm.
For normal folks it's all about what's it gonna cost me. If we can get past the DOT/EPA hoops so they can export cars w/o adding that cost to the cars a reasonable cost dsl cars will sell. Add to that a reasonable cost and steady supply of finished product(refined fuel not crude) and lotsa folks would switch. (dsl is cheaper to refine than gaso too, it comes off the line sooner)
Good luck with your quest, you've got a lot of believers but it's an uphill battle for sure.
__________________
joe
"Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Last edited by joe : 10-17-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 10-29-2011, 02:40 PM
dukeraul84 dukeraul84 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 01, 2011
Location: Moline, il
Posts: 7
Completely agree with the fuel nonsense, if everything on the road and every military ran diesel, it might get kinda pricey, government my think it's best to protect the private sector here.

Anyhoo, I have been planning a build for a 1st gen dodge I originally bought as a donor, but then bought p pumped block anyway. I've been thinking and collecting parts for about 5 years, and over the past year I haven't been able to get the grand wagoneer idea out of my head.

So does anyone think a 6bt, zf6/np271, dodge frame (cut of course), hp dana 60 front, and dana 70u rear would fit? I had planned on coils up front in the truck, and would like to do that with a waggy as well, 4 link it. I roughly measured for length, and if the motor moved forward, it looked doable, but I lot tougher/tighter than putting it under a truck. 35's and 3.55's would put me just over 1700rpm's @ 70.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 10-29-2011, 07:01 PM
tgreening tgreening is offline
Grease Monkey
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2008
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
I agree with you but good luck on what you can do about it. Dsl has big obstacles and no it's not OPEC or the gas companies. The big ones are C.A.R.B.and the EPA. CARB hates the D word and has a lot of political power.


The EPA for sure can be a pain in the arse at times, but has anyone here ever been to someplace where diesel is the primary fuel, sans any real EPA type regulations?

Spend some time someplace like Mumbai India and I guarantee you will come away with a new appreciation for pollution regulations. That place makes the worst California smog day seem like a breath of spring time country air. One of the most horrible places I've ever set foot.
__________________
83-ish V8 CJ/7 SOA 37" MTR
79 CJ7 Q/T, 258, 31's
77 CJ5, V8, 33's
94 Cherokee, 31's
68 J-3000, 232, 3 on the tree (under the knife soon)
78 J10, 360, Q/T, auto. Sacrificial lamb.
78 J20, 360, Q/T auto. Future unknown.
75 J20, 360, Q/T, auto. Reprieved sacrifice.
73 J20, 232, D20, 3spd. Axle sacrifice
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 10-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Mikel's Avatar
Mikel Mikel is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 09, 2000
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 6,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreening
The EPA for sure can be a pain in the arse at times, but has anyone here ever been to someplace where diesel is the primary fuel, sans any real EPA type regulations?

Spend some time someplace like Mumbai India and I guarantee you will come away with a new appreciation for pollution regulations. That place makes the worst California smog day seem like a breath of spring time country air. One of the most horrible places I've ever set foot.

Environmentalism is a hobby of rich people. When your choice is walking to work 15 miles away or riding a smoke-belching 50cc moped, clean air takes a back seat.
__________________
1969 M715 6x6
1963 J300 Swivel frame
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 01-25-2012, 07:36 PM
tgreening tgreening is offline
Grease Monkey
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2008
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel
Environmentalism is a hobby of rich people. When your choice is walking to work 15 miles away or riding a smoke-belching 50cc moped, clean air takes a back seat.


I'm not rich by any standard measure, but I've managed to survive and generally deal with the EPA through my life, vehicle wise. I'm not saying I agree with everything they do, not by a long shot, but I don't see any real reasonable argument against having some clean air standards in place.

As I said, travel someplace where clean air standards, if there are any at all, take a backseat as a rule and you might appreciate a bit more the air you breath here. Urban China is a prime example. India is another.

Pull your favorite junk into your garage, shut the door, and then run it for about an hour and you might get an idea of what the outside air is like in someplace like Mumbai. Been there/breathed that, and spent about 60 days back home dealing with the respiratory issues.

At least I didn't have to drink the water.
__________________
83-ish V8 CJ/7 SOA 37" MTR
79 CJ7 Q/T, 258, 31's
77 CJ5, V8, 33's
94 Cherokee, 31's
68 J-3000, 232, 3 on the tree (under the knife soon)
78 J10, 360, Q/T, auto. Sacrificial lamb.
78 J20, 360, Q/T auto. Future unknown.
75 J20, 360, Q/T, auto. Reprieved sacrifice.
73 J20, 232, D20, 3spd. Axle sacrifice
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 01-27-2012, 07:26 AM
710 Burner's Avatar
710 Burner 710 Burner is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 30, 2003
Location: Normal, Oklahoma
Posts: 8,684
There is more to it than emissions standards. A well maintained, properly timed diesel does not emit that much pollutants.
__________________
Mark B. Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWag&Prix
Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.


'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 02-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Mikel's Avatar
Mikel Mikel is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 09, 2000
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 6,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreening
I'm not rich by any standard measure, but I've managed to survive and generally deal with the EPA through my life, vehicle wise. I'm not saying I agree with everything they do, not by a long shot, but I don't see any real reasonable argument against having some clean air standards in place.

As I said, travel someplace where clean air standards, if there are any at all, take a backseat as a rule and you might appreciate a bit more the air you breath here. Urban China is a prime example. India is another.

Pull your favorite junk into your garage, shut the door, and then run it for about an hour and you might get an idea of what the outside air is like in someplace like Mumbai. Been there/breathed that, and spent about 60 days back home dealing with the respiratory issues.

At least I didn't have to drink the water.


"Clean" development comes at a cost. For people who have just come out of pre-industrial misery, it is a very easy choice - They will live with the pollution. Once their standard of living increases, they will have other things they can afford to worry about... Such as the environment!
__________________
1969 M715 6x6
1963 J300 Swivel frame
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 02-09-2012, 03:42 PM
tgreening tgreening is offline
Grease Monkey
 
Join Date: Jan 06, 2008
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel
"Clean" development comes at a cost. For people who have just come out of pre-industrial misery, it is a very easy choice - They will live with the pollution. Once their standard of living increases, they will have other things they can afford to worry about... Such as the environment!


I agree, for those places I referenced, but we weren't talking about them, we were talking about "us". I used them only as an example of what things would be like HERE, NOW, if we didn't have some standards in place.

It's painful for us diesel fans because up til relatively recently diesel has been getting a pass by the EPA. Now we're getting the heat and it hurts. The same thing happened way back when for the gas burners and the only real difference is the auto industry has had about 40 yrs or so of development to put together a system that can be strong, durable, clean, and get stellar fuel mileage. Stellar compared to those initial forays into pollution control systems. That and we've had about 40 yrs to forget that pain.

I have no doubt that given some time they will make the same improvements in diesel.

In the meantime, these standards sure do suck. Hehe.
__________________
83-ish V8 CJ/7 SOA 37" MTR
79 CJ7 Q/T, 258, 31's
77 CJ5, V8, 33's
94 Cherokee, 31's
68 J-3000, 232, 3 on the tree (under the knife soon)
78 J10, 360, Q/T, auto. Sacrificial lamb.
78 J20, 360, Q/T auto. Future unknown.
75 J20, 360, Q/T, auto. Reprieved sacrifice.
73 J20, 232, D20, 3spd. Axle sacrifice
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 03-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Carnuck's Avatar
Carnuck Carnuck is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 12, 2011
Location: Lynnwood, wa
Posts: 6,294
Gas prices are jacked up mostly by oil price speculators. If a camel coughs in the desert, the price jumps $20 a barrel.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 06-11-2013, 06:04 PM
mcjeep80's Avatar
mcjeep80 mcjeep80 is offline
Grease Monkey
 
Join Date: Jul 07, 2008
Location: artesia,nm
Posts: 319
for the last week i have been paying .10 cents less than a gal of regular. i havent seen diesel less than gas in years.
8000# 4x4 truck+ 35" tires+ around 500 hp= 21 mpg. I LOVE MY DIESEL
__________________
'80 WT.cherokee-tbi454/4l80/241c
welded rockwells/ PSC full hydro /3"body lift
front soa on 3" springs/inboarded 63s rear
42x15x16.5 TSLs on 8 bolt H-1s

'77 Honcho, 454/th400/div.205
3" body lift/3" of aal
35x12.5x16.5 thorn turds

DD/Tow rig, 2005 5.9 Cummins 3500 CC/LB
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 04-05-2014, 06:43 AM
AMC-J/20's Avatar
AMC-J/20 AMC-J/20 is offline
Master Mechanic
 
Join Date: Dec 17, 2009
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,326
24V-5.9L I6 Cummins diesel, ?Manual-Trans?, NP241HD, D60-DRW front, and D80-DRW rear with 4.30 gears and 245/70R19.5s

Mike
__________________
1953 REO M48.
1962 GMC C3000.
1969 AMC AMX-390 Resto.
1971 AMC/Jeep J4000DRW.
1983 AMC Eagle project SX/290.
1988 AMC/Jeep project MJ/343.
1989 Jeep GrandWagoneer.
1991 Dodge Ram-Charger.

A M C Means Jeep to me
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 06-09-2014, 08:31 PM
Mikel's Avatar
Mikel Mikel is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 09, 2000
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 6,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreening
I'm not rich by any standard measure, but I've managed to survive and generally deal with the EPA through my life, vehicle wise. I'm not saying I agree with everything they do, not by a long shot, but I don't see any real reasonable argument against having some clean air standards in place.

As I said, travel someplace where clean air standards, if there are any at all, take a backseat as a rule and you might appreciate a bit more the air you breath here. Urban China is a prime example. India is another.

Pull your favorite junk into your garage, shut the door, and then run it for about an hour and you might get an idea of what the outside air is like in someplace like Mumbai. Been there/breathed that, and spent about 60 days back home dealing with the respiratory issues.

At least I didn't have to drink the water.


You have a personal vehicle and a computer at home? By world standards, you are filthy rich. I have been to China and have (literally) seen the air around their cities. It is pretty nasty, but compared to the utter poverty those people lived in 60 years ago, it is a massive improvement.Worrying about possible respiratory problems at age 55 is much better than starving at 10. Once those people start reaching a certain standard of living, they'll start worrying about their environment.

I'm not against some reasonable standards. The problem is that environmental laws have become powerful tools of economic, politic and social engineering forces.

Quote:
It's painful for us diesel fans because up til relatively recently diesel has been getting a pass by the EPA. Now we're getting the heat and it hurts. The same thing happened way back when for the gas burners and the only real difference is the auto industry has had about 40 yrs or so of development to put together a system that can be strong, durable, clean, and get stellar fuel mileage. Stellar compared to those initial forays into pollution control systems. That and we've had about 40 yrs to forget that pain.


http://www.sfgate.com/green/article/...aw-3250576.php
__________________
1969 M715 6x6
1963 J300 Swivel frame

Last edited by Mikel : 06-09-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 09-26-2014, 07:58 AM
rockosocko's Avatar
rockosocko rockosocko is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 20, 2014
Location: NW, MS 'Yall
Posts: 207
Whew..

So, what's the synopsis of the topic?
Looks to be the 4bt engine.

E
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 06-07-2018, 05:02 PM
scout4bta's Avatar
scout4bta scout4bta is offline
230 Tornado
 
Join Date: Apr 26, 2018
Location: arizona
Posts: 11
You need to add the 4BT option!
__________________
1954 Willys Wagon
Looking for the perfect Wagoneer to Dieselize
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
corner corner