• Show
Clear All
  • Hippie Metal
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 11, 2009

6.b.t
    1984 GW T18/205

Originally posted by TheDude
    Garrett called me maybe 30 minutes ago with a blown tire, but knowing PBR is on the line not much can stop us

Comment

Something I'd like to point out. If you have V8 and swap to 4.0L, the length gained by the shorter waterpump, etc leaves just enough room to use the V8 trans setup as it is. You'll need to go electric pusher fan though. (I've been mulling this over for the Honcho, but I think I'll keep it V8)
      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• RWrightPhotog
        327 Rambler
        • Jun 07, 2011

Originally posted by Carnuck
        Something I'd like to point out. If you have V8 and swap to 4.0L, the length gained by the shorter waterpump, etc leaves just enough room to use the V8 trans setup as it is. You'll need to go electric pusher fan though. (I've been mulling this over for the Honcho, but I think I'll keep it V8)
        You're talking AMC V8, right. If I read you correctly, I'd be able to replace the 360 in my Wagoneer without moving the transmission, just fab up some motor mounts? Of course and all the wiring. Im very interested in that, if thats the case, because that's the original route I wanted to go with my Cherokee Chief project that has a blown 360. Of course now I have a 90,000 Mile 360 waiting to go into it...
        Rob

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Limited 360
        1979 Jeep Cherokee 4-Door 258
        1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief 360

Comment

• itselliot
          350 Buick
          • Aug 28, 2010

Some of the print in this ad is not right.( the 5.9 claim)
          I just saw this waggy locally It has a GM 6.0L in front of a OEM 727/NP228 with an adapter between the Trans and Motor.

Looked like a clean install
          If the PM's are full,...try e mail!
          [email protected]
          616 four 03 44 0 five
          '78 J-20 401 Q/T not quite stock anymore....Frame off Resto Mod..Super Cab nearing completion. SOMEDAY
          "90 GW 360/727/229/3:31s 2" lift (SOLD in 2015)
          '78 CJ7 Built from Scratch over a 7 year span.

Comment

If you run the EFI, you'll need a harmonic balancer crank sensor kit.
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
              Señor Jackhead
              • Aug 21, 2002

4 OH 1 all the way...

Flint
              Ran when parked.
              http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
              88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
              76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
              http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• CJ the noisemaker
                304 AMC
                • Nov 28, 2009

Ford 300 six or even a MPFI 302.

Both are efficient when put together properly, the 300 can lug an AOD around (Econoline vans had the 300 and AOD paired for efficiency) with stock axle gears, and the 302 has adequate aftermarket mods (sadly, more than an AMC V8) if you want some power. The best way to get mileage however will be diesel, but they will be pricy as people know what they can do and will sell top-dollar.

My $.02
                CJ
                [/COLOR][/SIZE] -1985 Ford LTD Country Squire "Rarity" - 302/AOD

Comment

• p@55w0rd
                  232 I6
                  • Mar 09, 2010

Originally posted by Carnuck
                  More info please! I have considered this swap because of the awesome availability of decent used 4.0's for cheap...
                  Project: 1979 Wagoneer 360, Turbo 400, Q-Track, and Dana 44's
                  Lovingly refereed to as the "The Wagon"...
                  Daily Driver: 2008 Jeep Commander Rocky Mountain Edition 4.7L, Q-Trac II
                  http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll58/jeepxk/DSC08388.jpg

Comment

You need the frame brackets and motor mounts from a 4.2L and either mod the current trans to run a CPS or get the harmonic balancer CPS kit. 6 cyl FSJ rad and EFI harness from a '91 to '95 XJ for simplicity. Also ZJ or TJ waterpump and pulley if you can fit a regular fan in.
                    When I put the 4.0L from a '93 ZJ in my '84 J10 with the 4.0L accessories, I needed a spacer for the waterpump to run a fan close enough to the rad, but that was in an originally 258 rig.

Comment

• surfwagoneer
                      232 I6
                      • Jun 23, 2012

360 mpg?

A lot of you keep on claiming 15-16 mpg on your 360. What kind of upgrades and mods have you done to get these types of results (minus driving style.)
                      89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 6 inch lift, de-smogged, 14 bolt, HD44, 35" tires

Comment

Performance tuning

Comment

• Mars
                          350 Buick
                          • Apr 24, 2010

Been looking at a 318..
                          Wannabe Fabricator
                          Grumpy on a good day.
                          1981 J-10 Laredo.. mmmm bucket seats...
                          What I'm working on: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...50#post1503850

Comment

• Mikel
                            • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by surfwagoneer
                            A lot of you keep on claiming 15-16 mpg on your 360. What kind of upgrades and mods have you done to get these types of results (minus driving style.)
                            No doubt some people are getting those MPG figures with a 360, but for every one of those, there are 100 people getting 10-11MPG. And what I wouldn't have given to get double digits in mine!
                            1969 M715 6x6
                            1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• Dirtfarmer
                              232 I6
                              • Aug 14, 2012

If your looking for fuel efficiency you probably cant beat an isuzu 4 cyl diesel
                              "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• swampedge
                                258 I6
                                • Oct 07, 2007

I get 10-11 in my 69 truck with a carbed 454 and TH400.
                                1970 Gladiator. Gen V 5.3. 8L90E.

You really are judged by the dogs you have!

Comment

Working...
                                X