• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UtilityRob
    258 I6
    • Dec 08, 2004

AM/FM/CB antenna replacement

Seeking advice on finding a good, readily available antenna to use with the stock AMC AM/FM/CB radio
    81 Honcho - original paint, decals. Handmade rollbar to match the original; 2" Rusty's lift; 33" BFG ATs; Cruise; cold R134 A/C; AMC AM/FM/CB; 360, T176, 3:31, new Warn hubs; repainted Stock Wheels (w/ red pinstripe); restored stock interior; AND even with all that junk, a blast to drive every day.
  • osceola
    350 Buick
    • Feb 12, 2004

to my knowlege that radio requires two antennae,one for the radio and one for the cb section. for the am/fm setion any good stainless steel antenna with correct motorola type jack will seve you well for general cb work I would suggest a look down at your closest truck stop.I believe a 5/8 wavength antenna mounted on a spring type ball will work very well for you .it might be a bit long but will get the signal out better than an antenna with a matching coil on the base and not be as big a PIA to deal with as a full wave length antenna.stay away from rattyoshack all they know how to do any more is sell cell phones and warranties. i would suggest for best signal propagation mount the cb antenna in the middle of your roof
    henry

Comment

• Rande
      Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
      • Jun 26, 2000

The factory radio used the AM/FM antenna for the CB. It had a special coupler in the antenna line. You could also use seperate antennas. This is the better way to go as the AM/FM antenna is very inefficiant for the CB.

When looking for the middle of the roof, don't forget to include the hood and bed. Rear portion of the roof would be best. Bed rail or bed side near the cab would also work well. Mounting the antenna too close to the metal of the cab can mess up your SWRs.

[ April 21, 2006, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Rande ]
      N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1998 Cherokee Sport (not maroon! Have history with maroon XJs)
      1937 Chevy pickup (in progress)
      1966 Mustang
      1937 IH D2

Comment

But if you want to keep it as stock as possible use an antenna made like the one you have and if you need the signal splitter, I last saw on at JCW. I do not know where to get Harada antennas anymore, but the technology has not changed in 50-60 years so....
        Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
        Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

Working...
        X