• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpcoutts
    304 AMC
    • Jun 28, 2002

Passing smog in Tennessee! Success!

The county I just moved to in middle Tennessee requires smog testing. Luckily all of my DD vehicles have passed, but now I'm going to have to get the J20 in shape for the inspection and if it won't pass I'll have to register it with restricted plates and drive only on weekends, to shows etc. At a minimum it will need a catalytic converter and will also have to pass the tailpipe sniffer test. Does anyone know how hard it is to pass in Tennessee? I really don't want to get the restricted plates and have no idea how strict the tests are here.
    Last edited by jpcoutts; 08-12-2013, 03:05 PM. Reason: Passed smog
    Jim C
    '67 J3000 Dually
    '86 J20
    '79 CJ5(in pieces)
    '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
    Correction- it just needed a water pump!
  • Thomas792
    327 Rambler
    • Sep 16, 2007

I don't live in Tennesse but this is what I did.

I searched and I think I have a reasonable answer which appears at the end of this post. So I took my GW to get it emissions tested. Having recently retired from the Marine Corps, I have to get my vehicle registered in Virginia as I am now a resident there. Michigan did not have any emissions testing so all was good until now

Best of luck. I just went over 25 years and reregistered a couple of days ago. No emissions test required.
    1974 J10 (401, Th400, Q-Trac, D44s, 28" tires)
    Mrs Tickity - 1988 GW (360, 727, 229, D44s, 32" tires)

Comment

• ProTouring442
      327 Rambler
      • Mar 15, 2011

I do live in Tennessee, but not in a county that requires emissions testing.

You say you will need a catalytic converter, I am assuming the '86 was a catalyst engine?

For an '86 vehicle, I believe it will be a simple tailpipe test, done at idle (they'll also make sure the restrictor is in the filler neck). If I were you, and all state and federal laws notwithstanding, I would install the converter with flanges so as to make it easily removable, and make a plain section of pipe to install for regular driving.

Mount the converter right at the point where the left and right pipes join to ensure it stays as hot as possible. If you know anyone who has a exhaust analyzer, you should be able to dial it in quite easily. It probably won't run very well once it's dialed in for emissions (the beauty of FI, low emissions and good drivability), so I would get the test done shortly after you get it ready.

Hope that helps! If you need a hand with anything, let me know. I'm probably a few hours away from you (near Knoxville), but you're welcome to bring it over if you need a hand. I have a MIG, and can set myself on fire like no body's business!

Bill
      You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• jpcoutts
        304 AMC
        • Jun 28, 2002

Thanks Bill. I'm in Murfreesboro, south of Nashville. I just went out and checked my filler neck and the restrictor is still there. A little worse for the wear but still there. I'll be looking for a shop that can do the work the way I ask. The cat was removed just behind the y so I hope a good shop can get one back in that spot.
        Jim C
        '67 J3000 Dually
        '86 J20
        '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• Rich88
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by ProTouring442
          .... and make a plain section of pipe to install for regular driving. .Bill
          AKA "Catalytic Converter test pipe".

Think I'm kidding? Google it.
          Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
          88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
          "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• ProTouring442
            327 Rambler
            • Mar 15, 2011

Originally posted by Rich88
            AKA "Catalytic Converter test pipe".

Think I'm kidding? Google it.
            Yup! And, back before reasonably affordable back pressure testers, they were quite handy for such a purpose.
            You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• Rich88
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by ProTouring442
              Yup! And, back before reasonably affordable back pressure testers, they were quite handy for such a purpose.
              Some people conduct years-long "testing".
              Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
              88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
              "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• racegas
                327 Rambler
                • Jul 15, 2012

Cat removal

We might have clients who use leaded fuel in late model cars that are street legal, and only have the cat on when they get their inspection...like I said, we might...who knows?
                'Robert E Lee'
                89 GW White w/Cordovan Interior(daughter's DD)

Comment

• jpcoutts
                  304 AMC
                  • Jun 28, 2002

So I Decided to cave in and have a cat installed on the J20 mostly to avoid future issues over the restrictions on driving it with antique (smog exempt) tags. I was merrily on my way to the muffler shop when I realized the J20 had not forgotten its heritage and needed gas. I had a few $$ in my pocket and I stopped to fill up. When I turned the key to get back on my way ... nothing, not even a click. Having had some starting/charging circuit issues with it in the recent past, I called my wife for a jump, to no avail. The J20 has now had its 1st experience on the back of a tow truck since I bought it. One trip to the parts store for a starter later showed that I had fried a solenoid in the process somehow, now for trip no. 2 to the parts store who didn't have the solenoid on the shelf, but their other store across town had one. One new starter and one new solenoid later and all was well. I'm sure the Jeep feels better too and this was its way of letting me know how neglectful I've been! Now on Monday - to the muffler shop.
                  Jim C
                  '67 J3000 Dually
                  '86 J20
                  '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• jpcoutts
                    304 AMC
                    • Jun 28, 2002

Success!

I was really worried that I was in for an ordeal to get the truck to pass but after having the cat installed it passed! The standards here must not be too stringent but that is fine with me. The printout from the testing facility shows that it passed within the limits for the emissions tested for. I'm certainly no expert but here are the results:

HC-378ppm limit is 400
                    CO-0.01% limit is 4.00%
                    CO2-8.14% no limit specified

Before going in for the test I also bought a new gas cap and air filter and then leaned out the carb to the point it was missing a little that didn't go away by increasing idle RPMs. I think I owe Thomas for setting up the carb on the truck before I got it, it's one of the smoothest 360's I've driven.

A great big sigh of relief for me!
                    Jim C
                    '67 J3000 Dually
                    '86 J20
                    '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• svining
                      350 Buick
                      • May 16, 2011

Did they check..

I live in Greene County so no testing here. I was wondering if they checked for all the Air pump and Vacuum line equipment, did they look at your Cat or just do the exhaust analyzer. All of my gear fell off in a boating accident!!

Originally posted by jpcoutts
                      I was really worried that I was in for an ordeal to get the truck to pass but after having the cat installed it passed! The standards here must not be too stringent but that is fine with me. The printout from the testing facility shows that it passed within the limits for the emissions tested for. I'm certainly no expert but here are the results:

HC-378ppm limit is 400
                      CO-0.01% limit is 4.00%

Before going in for the test I also bought a new gas cap and air filter and then leaned out the carb to the point it was missing a little that didn't go away by increasing idle RPMs. I think I owe Thomas for setting up the carb on the truck before I got it, it's one of the smoothest 360's I've driven.

Flashlight
                      "I started with nothing, I still got most of it left"
                      1982 GW,Stock, No Emissions Equip.
                      Mallory HEI, AMC 360, Motorcraft 2150

Comment

• ProTouring442
                        327 Rambler
                        • Mar 15, 2011

Originally posted by jpcoutts

HC-378ppm limit is 400
                        CO-0.01% limit is 4.00%

Just so you'll know, you're running a little lean.

Congrats on passing!
                        Bill

Comment

• jpcoutts
                          304 AMC
                          • Jun 28, 2002

Since I got the full inspection for regular plates I believe they just checked for a proper gas cap, in-tact fuel inlet restrictor, presence of a catalytic converter and the tail pipe sniff test for three emission levels above. I had leaned out the carb prior to going to the test center to reduce the chance of going over on any of the limits. It doesn't appear that there was any sort of under-hood visual test which is good for me since I no longer have the smog pump or very much of the smog equipment in the engine bay. The cat I had installed was a universal fit Magnaflow. The exhaust shop wouldn't sell the cat, I had to go to a parts store and buy it and bring it with me. They had it installed in about 10 minutes, using the pipe I had installed where the factory cat had been before it was stolen during a previous transport. If I had my shop unpacked and set up I could have saved my self the $80 they charged to cut the pipe and weld in the cat. I'm ust glad to be back on the road with a legal truck and as a side benefit my wife says I don't smell like a stinky Jeep any more after driving it!
                          Jim C
                          '67 J3000 Dually
                          '86 J20
                          '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• jpcoutts
                            304 AMC
                            • Jun 28, 2002

It's celebration time at my house, I just got back from the emissions testing center and the J20 passed again! I was dreading the trip but all went well. the l' girl hasn't let me down on the smog test yet!

here are this year's numbers:

HC 96 ppm limit is 400
                            CO 0.07 limit is 4.00
                            CO2 7.99

I think the TFI conversion I did several years ago is still serving me well.

Now, on to the on-line tag renewal!
                            Jim C
                            '67 J3000 Dually
                            '86 J20
                            '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

Working...
                            X