Steering wheel off center after box swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JeepsAndGuns
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 18, 2003

Steering wheel off center after box swap?

Well I finally got around to putting a new steering box on my cherokee. My old (guessing factory) one was leaking like a sieve and my steering was real sloppy from the ammount of play in it. I had a good one that didnt leak and didnt have mutch play in it that I took off a J-10 I parted out. So I finally got around to swaping it out saturday, among other things (new hoses, both pressure and return, and a new pump bracket cause the old one was busted) But anyways I get it all put back together, bled out and filled up and go for a drive and my steering wheel is now off center. The bottom spoke on the wheel is usally at 6 o clock, but now its at about 7. Other than that it drives fine, steering is mutch better, a lot less wondering and a more firm feel to it, plus it doesnt leak! (yet..lol) But I just cant figure out why the wheel is off center now. My cherokee is a 79 and the box came from a 79 J-10. The steering wheel was dead on center with the old box, and the wheel was centered on the J-10 the new box came off of. So I dont get it? Anyone else run into this problem when you swaped in a new steering box? Tomorrow I am gonna break out the pipe wrench and adjust the adjusting sleeve on the drag link to get my wheel back straight. But just wondering if anyone else run into this?
    79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
    Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
    93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.
  • brent
    304 AMC
    • Feb 14, 2003

Through a combo of my own stupidity and a CJ-know-it-all-buddy stupidity I did this three times w/ a steering box over a couple months. I won't go into details.
    I only have bad news: My steering was always off after first PS box. Nothing got worse, it just was never the same symmetric self. Not bad. I got used it. I mean, you did the same things as me: got under there, straightened before bolting yoke, lined up, lined up again, then lined up again---I'm wondering if we beat the crap/some functionality out of the pittman arm with the cheapass autozone rental pittman puller. I mean, we just didn't use that to get it off and on....what about stabilizer?
    My point: wonder if improved steering box but not improved surrounding components contribute? Brent
    79 J10 360-T18-D20 D44's 31X10.5 Edel 1406 w/R4B, speed
    -despite thousands invested, 360 in putrid death dance-

"Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride."

Comment

• mechanical man
      350 Buick
      • Dec 24, 2004

Straightening the steering wheel out just requires changing the length of the link from the pitman arm to the tie rod. Not hard, takes a couple of tries usually and doesn't mess with the toe-in.
      chuck
      87 GW 96 XJ

87 GW, B.J.s 4" lift, 3.92s, ARBs f&r, 32-11.50-15s BFG ATs, Eldebrock Performer/Holley 4160 4bbl, Thorley headers, Z&M HEI, Flowmaster 70 Series, just about everything mechanical rebuilt.

Other drivers: 06 Sequoia, 82 Avanti, 77 Bronco, 78 C-10 Custom Flatbed, 96 XJ-wife's

Comment

• grand_wag_85
        Murphy's Law Poster Child
        • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by mechanical man:
        takes a couple of tries usually
        Or a good curb...My GW was the same way and it drove fine.
        You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
        '88 GW
        '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jul 18, 2003

Originally posted by brent:
          I'm wondering if we beat the crap/some functionality out of the pittman arm with the cheapass autozone rental pittman puller.
          The box I swaped on was not a new one, it was a used one froma a parts J-10 I had (it just had less wear and didnt leak) So I didnt have to pull the pitman arm off, just un hook it from the drag link.

Originally posted by grand_wag_85:
          </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by mechanical man:
          takes a couple of tries usually
          Or a good curb...My GW was the same way and it drove fine.</font>[/QUOTE]Yea, it drives fine, its just the wheel being off center that is buggin me. Hopefully it doesnt rain so I can fix this.
          79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
          Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
          93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• brent
            304 AMC
            • Feb 14, 2003

I find that baffling that you didn't drop the arm. When you unbolted PS Box from frame you didnt have to take it DOWN? The hoses arent a factor, but the steering arm is. How'd you get around it? I like to learn later how I could've saved a thousand headaches Brent

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jul 18, 2003

Originally posted by brent:
              I find that baffling that you didn't drop the arm. When you unbolted PS Box from frame you didnt have to take it DOWN? The hoses arent a factor, but the steering arm is. How'd you get around it? I like to learn later how I could've saved a thousand headaches Brent
              If you got a new/rebuilt box from a parts store then it didnt come with the pitman arm on it. Thats why you had to pull the one off your old box. But the box I had was a used one that I removed from a parts truck. I did not have to remove the pitman arm, because it was the same as the one on my old box. So I just seperated it from the drag link. To remove my box I just removed the hoses, unhooked the steering shaft and seperated the drag link from the pitman arm.

But in other news I got it adjusted. Only took me two tries, first try I adjusted too far, adjusted it back and now it is dead on straight.

Comment

• brent
                304 AMC
                • Feb 14, 2003

Didn't occur to me to seperate the drag link from the Pitt arm!! I feel like a moron now. I didn't need a new Pitt arm either...glad you got it straight. Need to get Moron #2 (CJ fanatic) back over and straighten steering out. Thanks for the info.-Brent

Comment

just adjust the drag link to center it up again
                  85 gw 215k and still going
                  castrated(de-wooded)360 2" espo springs 31x10.5
                  89 gw,free,almost legal

She can dance a Cajun rhythm,Jump like a Willys in four wheel drive,

the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams

"Our militarized "law enforcement" has become the standing army our founders feared"

Comment

Working...
                  X