• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JasonV10
    232 I6
    • Dec 20, 2005

Jeep gold? Or Jeep brown?

What color is the "official" name for the gold or brown color of the Jeeps? Like on the bargain beater from Trucks?
    Wanted to buy: mid to late 70\'s cherokee wide trac
  • Lazarus
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 12, 2004

bronze???
    copper???
    POO?????
    * A NEW LIFE, A NEW CHALLENGE...EVERY ROCK,HILL, AND BOGGIN HOLE OR BUST... new plans for my rigs, the 74 j truck is getting sold, the 89 wag is a temporary parts rig, and my new to me 85 J10 is getting all the attention... 36" IROKs and a punched out 401 coming its way...

Comment

• J10Mike
      Delightfully Incompetent
      • Jun 04, 2003

Since it's Ryan's rig, maybe he would know.
      www.j10mike.com
      Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

Comment

• WGNMAN123
        258 I6
        • Nov 13, 2005

I DUNNO, BUT SHORE IS PURTY!!!
        WGNMAN123<br />If i aint fishin, I\'m wheelin;<br />if I aint doin either,<br />me and the FISHIN\'WAGON is havin a bad day!

Comment

• mdill
          Gone. Not Forgotten.
          • Nov 22, 2000

Baby turd [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mike D.
          -----------------------------------------
          Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
          1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
          1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
          1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
          1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
          And the other stuff that gets driven
          ----------------------------------------

Comment

• J10Joe
            304 AMC
            • Oct 06, 2005

it seems to be somewere between "american light lager" and "traditional pale ale".
            1985 J-10 LWB
            258/727/NP208
            4" lift, TFI, MC 2100

1988 J20-one of the last ones
            8400 GVRW
            360/727/208
            TFI, Rustolium (brushed)
            Fisher/Meyers plow truck

Comment

• drlocke
              Roadside Mechanic
              • Dec 29, 2003

Seems more coppery than brown. Also looks like basecoat/clearcoat. Doesn't look like the golden brown mine is. I'm actually curious to know what my color is called. Desert something....diaperdoo...boardinghouse hash....?

I am curious about paint #s and names because next summer this vehicle of mine goes into the spray booth. I'm also of two minds as to whether to do base/clearcoat or get it done as orignally so.

My gut reaction is that color under the clearcoat on that chero isn't really original FSJ--although I could be wrong.....

[ December 29, 2005, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: drlocke ]

Comment

Jason- found a close one in the '78 DuPont chip book for AMC called "Golden Ginger Met."
                Art
                ASE Master Collision Tech
                "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• Wgnmaster22
                  232 I6
                  • Dec 05, 2003

Originally posted by goldhammer:
                  Jason- found a close one in the '78 DuPont chip book for AMC called "Golden Ginger Met."
                  LOL,...Thats the one!.

My Waggie is the same color and I just looked at my bottle of touchup paint. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  '78 Wagoneer w/"Improved" 401 w/AFB, custom cam, etc
                  Q-Trac w/low-range unit & 3:54's
                  Rancho 9000's w/under-dash controller

Comment

• nograin
                    304 AMC
                    • Dec 19, 2000

Looks like they don't have '78 or '85 but,
                    You can also try American Motors.

The FSM or some sales lit may have the codes and names (I know some folks were here that collected sales brochures etc.)

My '85 came with clear coat added to it. I have the info in the glove box. Horrible stuff. Peeling off all over.

As far as a new paint job. I would say depends on who does it and what paint system you decide to use. The guy who did my Barracuda use a two part system. The color coat reacts with the clear coat. I wouldn't have gone that route if I hadnt already seen how good this guy is with the paint gun. His paint had so little orange peel when he shot it, most anyone (including the body shop across the street) thinks its been sanded. Then he sands it.

Badly sprayed clear coat, especially when it is a stand alone clear coat, really looks bad IMO if its got orange peel, which it frequently does. Orange peel is the ripply texture on a paint surface.
                    '85 Grand Wagoneer
                    360 727auto, NP229
                    body by beer (PO)
                    carries wood inside
                    no "wood" outside
                    My other car is a fish

Comment

• JasonV10
                      232 I6
                      • Dec 20, 2005

Originally posted by drlocke:
                      Seems more coppery than brown. Also looks like basecoat/clearcoat. Doesn't look like the golden brown mine is. I'm actually curious to know what my color is called. Desert something....diaperdoo...boardinghouse hash....?

I am curious about paint #s and names because next summer this vehicle of mine goes into the spray booth. I'm also of two minds as to whether to do base/clearcoat or get it done as orignally so.

My gut reaction is that color under the clearcoat on that chero isn't really original FSJ--although I could be wrong.....
                      Yeah, my Dad used to have a '73 J10 pickup that was that copper color and white. After seeing that Cherokee on Trucks, I got a visulization of what color I want to paint mine. Well, when I get one.

Edit: Also, what kind of roof rack does he have?

[ December 30, 2005, 05:01 AM: Message edited by: JasonV10 ]
                      Wanted to buy: mid to late 70\'s cherokee wide trac

Comment

• chrisnsarah
                        360 AMC
                        • Sep 24, 2000

It may be Aztec gold. I have a '79 paint chip sheet and I remember there were 3 colors that were close to this.
                        '64 J200 thriftside
                        '67 J2000 townside custom cab
                        '68 Jeepster Commando
                        '69 Super Wagoneer
                        '75 J10
                        '79 Cherokee S WT
                        '75 Cherokee
                        '61 Aristocrat Lil Loafer

Comment

• joe
                          • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by drlocke:
                          I'm actually curious to know what my color is called. I am curious about paint #s and names because next summer this vehicle of mine goes into the spray booth.
                          drlocke, email me the paint code from the firewall tag. I've got the names and mix/supplier codes for the pre-80's and can look yours up.
                          joe
                          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• madmule
                            327 Rambler
                            • Sep 15, 2005

I looked in the Service manual for mine, which looks really close to Ry's. The official Jeep color is: Alpaca Brown Metallic. No I'm not making this up. It really said that! I prefer to call it Bronze.
                            CARPE JEEPEM
                            79 Cherokee "MATA BURRO"
                            Co-founder and proud sponsor of Ol' Farts 4x4 Club of America

Comment

• JpX
                              232 I6
                              • Sep 21, 2005

I could have sworn I heard Stacy say it was "root beer." Alpaca Brown Metallic is a safer bet though.
                              76 J10 383 Vortec (CSFI) GMC 5 spd NV4500 NP241 No Lift and no 4wd yet. tc is on driver pumpkin on pass Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X