• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dptyrob
    232 I6
    • Nov 18, 2005

AMC 360 to IH 345 swap.

I've already got this project underway, as you can see. I've been a long-time fan of IH engines and Wagoneer bodies/style, so I can't think of a better combination (for me). And I figure if a 345 is good enough to push dump trucks around, it oughta drag the Waggy around just fine, too.

I have the engine, tranny, and t-case ready to pull from my 85 Waggy, and the the engine from my Scout nearly ready to pull. I dropped off my TF727's at the shop last week to have the AMC tailshaft and adapter installed in the IH tranny. From what I understand the Waggy power steering pump and alternator will bolt up to the IH brackets. The motor mounts for the 345 are super simple and those for the 360 unbolt from the frame, so it looks like fabbing some new ones should be a pretty clean cut deal. I'm probably going to take a few days after pulling them to clean up the 345, install new oil seals, valve guide seals, and a fuel pump, before dropping it back in. My biggest hurdles are going to be adapting the radiator to the IH engine, getting the exhaust system modified to hook up to it, spare time, and good weather. I'm really excited about the whole thing, though.

Here are a few more pictures of odds and ends with this swap. There will be more as I go.
    Last edited by dptyrob; 12-19-2006, 11:35 PM.
    1985 Grand Wagoneer
  • GWChris
    304 AMC
    • Jan 22, 2005

Well, that'll be unique! I like unusual engines, so I get it. Besides, when gas gets really expensive, you can find one of the IH 4 cylinders they made out of 1/2 a V8 (always thought that was smart) and drop that in!

Comment

• scotty
      • Jun 12, 2000

Originally posted by dptyrob
      My biggest hurdles are going to be adapting the radiator to the IH engine, getting the exhaust system modified to hook up to it, spare time, and good weather.
      i can certainly believe those last 2,i have those hurdles myself the first 2 shouldnt be too big a deal,however,both engines use a driver side bottom outlet,and the top waterneck pointing toward the passenger side,so youll just have to track down some hoses. the stock hoses may even work if you have bigger necks put on the radiator,or clamp a smaller diameter of hose between the neck and bigger hose. i know that doesnt sound like a good fix but ive done it and never had any issues. i personally use chevy radiators in both my jeep and my scout trail rigs,so i had to build a crossover pipe to go from the passenger side waterneck on the radiator to the driver side pump outlet. on the top i cut the IH waterneck,flipped the outlet 180* and rewelded it. if i can make the GM unit work,you should easily be able to make the amc unit work with the IH motor

the exhaust is as easy as keeping as much of the scout pipes as you need in order to weld new pipes to. drop the whole thing off at a custom exhaust shop once you get it in. couldnt be easier than that

ill look forward to updates,as ive also become a big fan of IH engines. at first i didnt like how big and heavy they are,but the more i learn about their innards,and the more i wheel my scout II truggy,the more they grow on me. plenty of power,nearly indestructable. ive got a 75 IH loadstar schoolbus powered by a 345 moves it around just fine.

i was considering a similar swap into my GW,but i hate autos,and i didnt have another 4 speed to use. i lucked into a buick 455 so im going that route instead. if that hadnt happened,tho,my jeep would have very likely ended up with an IH engine
      scotty
      85 grand wagoneer
      258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
      38" TSL SXs
      chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

• NVJEEPER
        327 Rambler
        • Feb 24, 2006

Thats a cool idea...I got a liking for IH too. Met some scouts that were awesome.
        Damon
        '85 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• dptyrob
          232 I6
          • Nov 18, 2005

Originally posted by GWChris
          Well, that'll be unique! I like unusual engines, so I get it. Besides, when gas gets really expensive, you can find one of the IH 4 cylinders they made out of 1/2 a V8 (always thought that was smart) and drop that in!
          Yeah, I guess I could do that, but I honestly don't think the gas mileage would be much, if any, better; at least not enough to justify the expense of the swap and the loss of power. I used to have one of the old 800's and the 196 that was in it was adequate to get it around, but it still didn't like mountains and you weren't going to tow a whole lot with it (or if you did, don't expect to keep up with the flow of traffic). I wound up later having to drop in a 152 when I spun a rod bearing on the 196, and it was a real wheezer. I don't think the Waggy weighs much, if any, more than the Scout, though.

Originally posted by scotty
          i was considering a similar swap into my GW,but i hate autos,and i didnt have another 4 speed to use. i lucked into a buick 455 so im going that route instead. if that hadnt happened,tho,my jeep would have very likely ended up with an IH engine
          I bought an old GMC Sierra pickup once that had originally had the 350 diesel. Someone had dropped in an Oldsmobile 455 Rocket. That puppy was a hoss. We also had a Riviera with the 455 when I was growing up. Nothing but good to say about them.
          1985 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• GWChris
            304 AMC
            • Jan 22, 2005

Well, I wasn't really serious about the 4cyl - it would be struggling too much to help mileage. I just always thought it was a heads up design - maximum parts commonality with the V8.

I often daydream about what cool engines would go into a FSJ. Other than the diesels (which I would love but I've got concerns about the long term cost of diesel fuel), I've thought that the 300ci Ford 6 would be a great choice. The later ones had a nice port injection system too.

If I had an older Jeep I'd love the OHC 230ci six - I like how they ran the intake and exhaust with one cam lobe.

But the AMC engines are very nice too, and if I were to do anything in regards to engine swaps, I'd probably go with a built AMC 6 - say a late model EFI 4.0 with a 258 crank.

OK, daydream time over, time to go haul some more wood.

Comment

• ohioj20
              304 AMC
              • Nov 26, 2001

you can always get your inlet and outlets swapped if you take them to a radaitor shop. That is what I had to do for my two 6.2 swaps.
              Kenny
              1982 Jeep J10 body going on 1991 Dodge W250 frame with a Cummins and 5speed
              1999 Dodge Durango 5.2 V-8

Comment

• dptyrob
                232 I6
                • Nov 18, 2005

I often daydream about what cool engines would go into a FSJ. Other than the diesels (which I would love but I've got concerns about the long term cost of diesel fuel), I've thought that the 300ci Ford 6 would be a great choice. The later ones had a nice port injection system too.
                I wouldn't mind trying one of the big block diesels like they used in the military blazers. We had some of those at the department where I used to work and when it snowed (and when we managed to get them started) we had to leave them running 24/7 until the roads cleared up. Even with them idling all through a 12 hour shift, they averaged about 20mpg. And you couldn't blow one of them up; believe me, I tried.

If I had an older Jeep I'd love the OHC 230ci six - I like how they ran the intake and exhaust with one cam lobe.

But the AMC engines are very nice too, and if I were to do anything in regards to engine swaps, I'd probably go with a built AMC 6 - say a late model EFI 4.0 with a 258 crank.
                I've got a 92 Cherokee with the HO 4.0 and I've been amazed at how powerful that thing is. I've got an old Scout 800A with the 232 and I've been thinking about swapping that 4.0 into it, though I'd have to swap out the drivetrain too due to the change in bellhousing patterns. I'm sure that the computer system would be a real joy to transfer over, too.

Originally posted by ohioj20
                you can always get your inlet and outlets swapped if you take them to a radaitor shop. That is what I had to do for my two 6.2 swaps.
                I wasn't aware that you could do that, but I'll see about giving that a try. Thanks.
                1985 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• scotty
                  • Jun 12, 2000

. I've got an old Scout 800A with the 232 and I've been thinking about swapping that 4.0 into it, though I'd have to swap out the drivetrain too due to the change in bellhousing patterns.
                  isnt the 232 the same bell pattern as the 258? you should be able to bolt the 232 brackets to the 4.0 block,and bolt it right to the tranny on the 800. assuming it to be a manual tranny,you could use the 232 flywheel(jeep sixes are internally balanced) to keep the pilot bearing,throwout bearing,etc.,setup the same.

biggest issue with the swap will be the CPS. youll have to find a way to make the clutch/input shaft work with the 4.0 flywheel if youy modifiy the scout bell for the CPS,or youll have to spenhd a chunk of change to buy the kit to move it to the front balancer so you can run the 232 flywheel.

2nd biggest issue will be the intake runners hitting things in the engine compt(like the brake booster if equipped) if you use a HO motor.

scotty
                  85 grand wagoneer
                  38" TSL SXs
                  chopped,bobbed and caged

Comment

• dptyrob
                    232 I6
                    • Nov 18, 2005

isnt the 232 the same bell pattern as the 258? you should be able to bolt the 232 brackets to the 4.0 block,and bolt it right to the tranny on the 800. assuming it to be a manual tranny,you could use the 232 flywheel(jeep sixes are internally balanced) to keep the pilot bearing,throwout bearing,etc.,setup the same.

biggest issue with the swap will be the CPS. youll have to find a way to make the clutch/input shaft work with the 4.0 flywheel if youy modifiy the scout bell for the CPS,or youll have to spenhd a chunk of change to buy the kit to move it to the front balancer so you can run the 232 flywheel.

2nd biggest issue will be the intake runners hitting things in the engine compt(like the brake booster if equipped) if you use a HO motor.

They changed the bellhousing pattern on 6 cylinders around 71, I think (the starter is on the opposite side of the engine on the older engine). As for room under the hood, I don't think there would be any issues; I could probably get the entire Cherokee under there if I needed to.

1985 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• scotty
                      • Jun 12, 2000

They changed the bellhousing pattern on 6 cylinders around 71, I think (the starter is on the opposite side of the engine on the older engine).
                      hmmm,are you running a manual tranny? maybe a bell from a later 258-equipped scout could save you some driveline swapping...
                      scotty
                      85 grand wagoneer
                      38" TSL SXs
                      chopped,bobbed and caged

Comment

• dptyrob
                        232 I6
                        • Nov 18, 2005

hmmm,are you running a manual tranny? maybe a bell from a later 258-equipped scout could save you some driveline swapping...
                        Yeah, there's a manual in the Scout (auto in the Cherokee, which will mean a different ECU is needed I guess). I'll have to look into the bellhousing issue. I studied up on the subject a while back but this project took a back burner and I've forgotten a lot of what I learned then (that and I didn't have the Cherokee to consider at the time, either). Good idea, though. That would be super if that would work. Thanks.
                        1985 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• jeepsr4ever
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Dec 28, 2002

You can definately do it but keep in mind you will have to drill out your AMC bellhousing to 7/16" for the larger IH block threads.
                          AMC/Jeep Forum
                          Custom machined AMC/4X4/Race Parts...www.Bulltear.com
                          ///
                          "We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"

Comment

• mdill
                            Gone. Not Forgotten.
                            • Nov 22, 2000

Cross breading gone wrong

(Ohh never mind, NC, that explains alot )

Mike D.
                            Last edited by mdill; 12-21-2006, 02:53 PM.
                            -----------------------------------------
                            Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
                            1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
                            1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
                            1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
                            1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
                            And the other stuff that gets driven
                            ----------------------------------------

Comment

• Mavawreck
                              360 AMC
                              • Jan 02, 2003

Anyone know if this one ever got completed? Photobucket links are down.
                              1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=153928

1996 T100 SR5

Comment

Working...
                              X