X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tad
    • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by Doug3651
    ...Can I get a bit of input on this from you SOA guru's?

Thanks!
    Yes, you can.
    It's wrong as far as it applies to our FSJ's as long as you mount the SOA perches in the same orientation to the original perches.

I'm not tooting my stuff here, but unless you rotate the pinion up, you did not change anything. Nothing, Nada, No Place, No How.

With all due respect, I have asked several times to have that portion of the CFSJA writeup edited for accuracy, that portion is just BS.
    I doubt the author has ever performed an SOA himself or drives a SOA FSJ rig.

I drive one (a SOA FSJ rig) almost daily, I drive one on the interstate at 65-75 mph, some times for 200 miles at a shot.

(yes, I know who the author is, he's a mod here and a good friend of friends of mine, but I still think it's a bunch of second hand compiled bull ****).
    2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
    EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
    Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Kimbrough
      304 AMC
      • May 14, 2000

Originally posted by Doug3651
      This is the first I have heard of this?? Can I get a bit of input on this from you SOA guru's?

Thanks!
      They don't call it the Off-Road FSJ Tech forum for nothing.
      1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer. Chevy 350 TBI. 4-inch lift. 31-inch BFG AT's.

Comment

• Doug3651
        230 Tornado
        • Apr 26, 2007

Thanks Tad!

I was gettin a bit worried about doin my SOA. You have revitalized my motivation!!!

Comment

• Kimbrough
          304 AMC
          • May 14, 2000

drag link in front of tie rod???

I have a stupid question: Is the drag link supposed to mounted in front of the tie rod? If I try to mount on the rear hole, it crosses the tie rod. Sooo; DRAG LINK connects to forward hole on pass-side - TIE ROD connects to the rearward hole on pass-side. TIE ROD connects to where on driver's-side? Forward or rear hole???
          Last edited by Kimbrough; 05-17-2007, 03:21 PM.
          1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer. Chevy 350 TBI. 4-inch lift. 31-inch BFG AT's.

Comment

• j20brett
            360 AMC
            • Jul 05, 2006

tierod connects to rear hole, draglink to front.

Edit: there should be only one hole on drivers side. But if you do have 2, then the rear hole.
            Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Jeep4myBoys
              350 Buick
              • Jul 23, 2006

Alrighty - this thread is very good - really makes me more confident in being able to do this myself. I was thinking BJs 6" for the ease of installation, but I believe the extra flex from the SOA would be better.

Doesn't look like there's one complete write-up, but all of the information is here. Since I don't have time to pick everything up piece by piece or fabricate parts myself (I just went from working solo to taking over a company with 12 employees ) I would prefer buying in kits.

So, of course I'm thinking Tads SOA kit and learning to weld (I'll practice lots first, but any concern with a noob welding on an axle?)

For the high steer, I was thinking this kit from Parts Mike. Would that work in our application? I would probably use the super arm kit.

Parts Mike also has a TRE kit, would the tie rod still need to be shortened though?

I know this ends up being more expensive, but right now I just don't have the time to do more myself, and I would rather spend the time I have working on the jeep.

Also - since this would end up being much more expensive than the 6" lift, is the extra flex really worth it?

Thanks guys, this thread is very informative!
              Last edited by Jeep4myBoys; 05-30-2007, 09:41 AM.
              Timothy
              -------
              It's for my twin boys Sure, they're only 1 year old, but it's all for them!

Daily Driver: 04 F350 6.0 CC LB FX4 Lariat

Jeep: 88 GW 360/727/229, Rusty's 4", 33" tires, Holley TA, TFI **Razor**

Comment

• j20brett
                360 AMC
                • Jul 05, 2006

I was considering using the same kit form partsmike at first, but i just couldnt see putting that much money since i would be eventually swapping in a d60.

All you need is the pass. side flat top knuckle and one super arm. So this saves you ~$500. Its not highsteer but you dont have to have highsteer. But the tierod end kit would be nice to have.
                Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Tad
                  • Nov 30, 2001

Timothy,
                  If you do x-over you will keep your tie rod (you could have a new one made but if yours is in good shape it's not really necessary) intact/same location and just need a slightly longer drag link to connect to the passenger side high-steer arm (get one of the many taller/super arms or get one with the spacer) on a flat top knuckle that has been milled/tapped/with the proper studs/cone washers and nuts, along with a 4" drop pitman arm.
                  I'm pretty sure both Parts Mike, Bull Gear and more than 1/2 those vendors listed on the first page will fab one up speedy like or sell you the whole package.
                  2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                  EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Comment

• Jeep4myBoys
                    350 Buick
                    • Jul 23, 2006

I've looked, but I don't see a good overview of the crossover steering. From what I'm gathering, you basically use a driver's high steer with the drag link under the springs? I'm not sure I get it, and I haven't seen one in person.

Anyone have a good,summary of what the crossover steering setup is?
                    Timothy
                    -------

Comment

• j20brett
                      360 AMC
                      • Jul 05, 2006

You dont need the drivers side if you are just doing crossover steering. Only the passenger side flat top knuckle.

here is a pic...top is stock steering. bottom is crossover

Edit here is a better pic and a page with a good writeup.

Last edited by j20brett; 05-31-2007, 06:50 AM.

Build Thread

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Jeep4myBoys
                        350 Buick
                        • Jul 23, 2006

Thanks, that makes sense.
                        Timothy
                        -------

Comment

• Tad
                          • Nov 30, 2001

I have a better pic of the completed assembly someplace.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                          EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Comment

• malodin
                            304 AMC
                            • Sep 03, 2004

Originally posted by tadsal

I have a better pic of the completed assembly someplace.
                            does your spacer on that picture have a taper to it?
                            1977 CHEROKEE CHIEF, 401, SOA FRONT SITTING ON HD44 4.10'S, TH400/D300 COMBO, 14BFF REAR WITH TT'S FAB'S REAR SHAKLE FLIP KIT, RB'S BRONCO TANK MOD. 35'S

Comment

• Tad
                              • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by malodin
                              does your spacer on that picture have a taper to it?
                              It does have a taper, but that is not my spacer, arm or knuckle.
                              That's from a SOA welding road trip up to PHX I did back in March for a member here, SteelPonyCowboy.
                              IIRC he got the knuckle, spacer and arm from Kozz.

Here's a better pic of cross-over steering from JoshD in PHX.

Here's full high-steering.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                              EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Comment

• malodin
                                304 AMC
                                • Sep 03, 2004

cool, i get the material this weekend to cut my own arms now, i am using 2 3/4 wide by a minimum of 1 3/4 thick by 9 1/2" long piece for one arm(then there is no need for spacers) similar to http://www.ottindustries.com/Steering_arms_dana44.html
                                these ones he he he
                                1977 CHEROKEE CHIEF, 401, SOA FRONT SITTING ON HD44 4.10'S, TH400/D300 COMBO, 14BFF REAR WITH TT'S FAB'S REAR SHAKLE FLIP KIT, RB'S BRONCO TANK MOD. 35'S

Comment

Working...
                                X