• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thomass095
    230 Tornado
    • Apr 16, 2016

My wrecked 87 wagon

Hey guys, I'm new here. Other than the on and off stalking for the last couple years.. I have a 1987 Grand wagoneer that I hit a pole in two years ago. I just recently got the itch to fix it up and started pulling it apart. Take into mind this was a 30 mph crash uphill into a telephone pull, cracked windshield courtesy of my head.

I got the whole front end off and quickly realized the frame was bent way more than I thought. body mounts on drivers side were 6 inches off and frame looked like a lightning bolt. So I ended up with this parts jeep for pretty cheap that actually has a pretty great frame, fenders, etc. just rotted body. The plan is to take the new frame and put my body from the crashed jeep on it with a 1" body lift

Realizing how expensive parts are for these things again.. But now I'm in the middle of cleaning up the new frame. Also doing a SOA and shackle reversal while I have the body off. Already have my crossover steering set up on the way. Also I'm thinking off peeling all my vinyl and "wood" trim. Do you think thats a good idea? I dont think you can get individual panels of the stuff that will match with the old so I think it may be my only choice. thanks for all the search help guys

• Thomass095
    230 Tornado
    • Apr 16, 2016

Also the parts jeep I got has a transmission cooler and my other one doesn't. Anyone know what the story with that is?

Comment

• DarkMonohue
      Shakes hands with danger
      • Jul 01, 2012

Yikes. Glad you are here to tell the tale. These things are not built with safety in mind.

Why the 1" body lift? If you're already going SOA, you should have plenty of height and clearance.

As far as the wallpaper on the sides goes, it's a matter of personal preference. Some people consider it a necessary and integral component of the Grand Wagoneer, and part of its charm. Personally, I don't care for it. It seemed dated and kind of campy to me when new and it still does.
      Last edited by DarkMonohue; 04-30-2016, 08:54 AM.
      '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
      High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Thomass095
        230 Tornado
        • Apr 16, 2016

Ya me too. That was a sore week after. Guess the padded dashboard didn't help much like I saw an old ad say ha

I was thinking the 1" body lift because it comes with the bolts on bj's (lazy moment) and they said it will still work good with stock bumpers. But do You know about the trans cooler? Did some come without them, or did the P/O rip it out? Just wondering because Its kind of in rough shape and didn't know if I needed it.

Comment

• DarkMonohue
          Shakes hands with danger
          • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by Thomass095
          But do You know about the trans cooler? Did some come without them, or did the P/O rip it out?
          Hmm. I can't answer that. My '85 J20 has one, but it's a J20, not a G-wag.
          '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
          Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
          High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• Wagonforever
            327 Rambler
            • Feb 26, 2004

The Grand Wagoneers with the factory tow package came with trans coolers and 3.31 gears. The standard did not have an trans cooler and 2.73 gears.

I also just got the itch to put my 86 GW back together afte I got T-boned 6 years ago in the drivers door. Didn't look nearly as bad as yours though, lucky you made it out ok.
            Last edited by Wagonforever; 04-30-2016, 05:57 PM.
            There are those that have and those that will.

1986 Grand Wagoneer, BONE STOCK just the way I like em!

The Aviation Forum

Fred 08

Comment

• Thomass095
              230 Tornado
              • Apr 16, 2016

Ok thank you. Thats awesome didn't know about the different gearing. Gonna have at least 35's so that might help a little.

And good luck with your GW. I live in Maine and the wagons don't pop up very often. I lucked out and found a guy nearby that buys them up and sells the little parts on ebay. He doesn't want to ship big stuff like body panels, etc. Almost unheard of to see this many GW's in one place in Maine to me. There's a couple more out of frame. I bought the white one in the pic. Best frame with the least rot and decent fenders. Gutted interior though :/

Comment

• Wagonforever
                327 Rambler
                • Feb 26, 2004

Yeah, these old Jeeps are very rare here in Michigan too, and even rarer to find one not all rotted out.

I found a door in Mississippi a few years ago when I was down there for work. Looking for a fender now, I have new rockers they can use, wish they still made fenders.
                There are those that have and those that will.

1986 Grand Wagoneer, BONE STOCK just the way I like em!

The Aviation Forum

Fred 08

Comment

• Thomass095
                  230 Tornado
                  • Apr 16, 2016

Well there goes my sunday. Made the spring perches and got them on there all square and such. Now just waiting on BJ's for my Crossover steering and some other goodies. SOA here I come. Kind of dreading the shackle flip in the rear.

Time to get the sand blaster out and clean up, also have a gallon of POR 15 on it's way.

Comment

• Thomass095
                    230 Tornado
                    • Apr 16, 2016

Made some good progress lately. I got the axle in and the crossover steering in.
                    Now there are a few little things left to do, then onto the rear. I know I have to notch the crossmember where the front driveshaft hits

What have you guys done with your steering stabilizers? Mines just hanging there right now.

And also can I get away with a little extension on my track bar or something like that? if you can see it in the picture. It doesn't quite make it.

Got that ghost trailer stance

Comment

• Thomass095
                      230 Tornado
                      • Apr 16, 2016

Well after consulting the search feature, like I should have done. I'm going to just leave the track bar out. Seems to not be very important. And get a universal kit for the steering stabilizer. thanks!

Comment

• Wagoneer-ing
                        232 I6
                        • Sep 14, 2012

Any new updates?
                        1968 M715 - Resto-Mod, Ford Dana 60/Sterling 10.25, AMC 360/727/208, 37" hummer tires, metal hard top, and a ton of work to do!

Comment

• Thomass095
                          230 Tornado
                          • Apr 16, 2016

A little bit of progress. Brought out the cutting torch to get those pesky front of rear leaf spring bushing and bolts out. Now to just order the new bushings and weld in my new leaf brackets to flip the rear. Also need to order my body bushings. Also dropped the fuel tank and pulling the body off of my wrecked jeep. Excuse the shat body mount in rear from the P/O I have yet to replace. Money has been tight lately, getting back to normal though.

Last edited by Thomass095; 07-09-2016, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• Thomass095
                            230 Tornado
                            • Apr 16, 2016

Well got the body pulled off my wrecked wagon to put on the new frame. Tractor works good for this!

Also check out the carnage on the bent frame. Bent way more than I thought and busted the transfer case right in half. ouch

Transfer case

Comment

• jeepman1
                              258 I6
                              • Jul 22, 2015

Far out!
                              : 98 9er
                              '83 Honcho j10
                              '12 Liberty Ltd.. wifes
                              '19 Chaparral H2o Dlx sport 21

Comment

Working...