• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nocs868
    230 Tornado
    • Oct 05, 2010

Weird seafoam result...

So being bored and having to get a refund at autozone, i decided while i was there to grab some of this seafoam that i have been reading about. Jeep runs fine but i just figured it wouldn't hurt to run some through. Got home, read and re-read the directions. Warmed up the jeep first, poured about 1/3 of the can slowly down the carb (didn't stall the engine) while it idled around 2000 rpms and then shut off the engine and then let it sat for about 30 minutes.
    When i started it up, i was expecting a huge smoke cloud like i've read. I didnt see anything but the wife said she saw a little cloud for about a second or two. That was it, nothing else. Just dont know if i did it wrong or maybe my jeep is that clean

any thoughts?
    "You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later." M.H.

'79 Wagoneer
    lifted on 35s
    360/th400
  • lunchbox1671
    350 Buick
    • Sep 22, 2010

Sometimes that happens. I use more until it starts to smoke while it's running. Then I shut it off for about ten-fifteen. Try doing it two or three more times.

I'm not 100% sold on the stuff, but I do notice a little difference with the idle and throttle response. It could be that the carb and intake just needed cleaned. Some vehicles seem respond to it better than others, and 50k miles vs 220k miles on a vehicle is a big factor.

The BEST results I get are on Fuel Injected/Throttle Body vehicles with several miles on them. That's when i can actually feel more power and get a few more mpg's. It only lasts a little while though (like a couple of oil changes).

Part of me says that it's snake oil, but part of me says that it doesn't hurt anything (especially if there are real results and not just me fooling myself).
    1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief Sport 4 door N/T.
    -AMC 360 with RV cam
    -T-15A, Dana 20
    -Dana 44's, 3.54's,
    -32x11.50r16's

Comment

• HotrodSmurf
      232 I6
      • Feb 16, 2011

i've noticed the best results on vehicles that have sat for a long time, my nova was a new car after some seafoam.
      ------------------------------------------------------
      1986 G.Waggy
      torn down waiting for timing cover

Comment

• cajun_lad
        350 Buick
        • Feb 17, 2006

Is this the same seafoam stuff to run in the block for a tank of gas or so?
        Joey
        Jeep-Less

Comment

• nocs868
          230 Tornado
          • Oct 05, 2010

Originally posted by cajun_lad
          Is this the same seafoam stuff to run in the block for a tank of gas or so?
          affirm, the instructional video on youtube says to put 1/3 in gas tank, 1/3 in carb/vacum, 1/3 for the crankcase. Chose not to do the crank case until im ready to due an oil change.
          "You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later." M.H.

'79 Wagoneer
          lifted on 35s
          360/th400

Comment

• bigblock91

the proper way to run sea foam through the intake is to run it through at a high idle then flood the motor out with it.. I was shown this by the rep at a local shop.. on a car that wouldn't pass emissions ... smoked out the shop and the car passed..

Comment

• newtojeeps
              350 Buick
              • Jun 28, 2006

I think they also have a new formula I noticed bottles with a rounded shoulder on it this week at Wal-Mart.

Comment

Working...
              X