• Show
Clear All
  • SOLSAKS
    304 AMC
    • Jul 25, 2016

i dont think there is an appropriate adjective

for how beautiful that dash turned out.

so i will stick with beautiful.

( did i say you did not need just dashes ?)
    that was an understatement

my mouth was wide open while looking at the last few photos

especially where you can see the face of the dash and all the detail.

DANG !!!

dave in NC
    SOLSAKS - dave
    1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
    1982 J-10 Fleetside
    1988 grand wagoneer
    2004 RUBICON jeep
    Benson, NC

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
      360 AMC
      • Oct 02, 2002

Thanks Dave. I am going to try and step it up a notch and finish the dash and tailgate soon. I have been doing some home remodeling and sizing up some work on our older boat. The inboard motor went bad and we want it for spring. There is just not enough time in the day.

I will take some pictures of the glass install Saturday. Can't wait....
      Melford1972 says...
      I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
      -----------------------
      I make wag parts
      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
      1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
      1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
      1968 M715 restomod
      2001 Dodge 3500
      2002 Toyota Tundra
      2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
      Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• SJTD
        304 AMC
        • Apr 26, 2012

What're you using for the gasket?

Did you find a source for the trimless one? You haven't mentioned it so I assume not.
        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
          360 AMC
          • Oct 02, 2002

I have a gasket here that I think I purchased from TGW years ago. Honestly I am not sure where I got it. I would have to look and see if it is for the trim, which sadie does not have. I have several used gaskets.
          The glass guy is also bringing a gasket. He knows I have one and I suggested he use which ever one he likes best. I will ask him about a trimless gasket.
          In the 1990's all I could find was trimless. I never bought one, but did search.
          Funny it switched and trim gaskets are all that is out there. My X model needs a trim gasket. I better get one...
          Melford1972 says...
          I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
          -----------------------
          I make wag parts
          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
          1968 M715 restomod
          2001 Dodge 3500
          2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• mud89
            304 AMC
            • Nov 18, 2009

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
            Still looking for trim tag numbers for a D model with no frills. Anybody have one they can check?

I can try to help but what do you mean exactly by "a D model with no frills" ?
            J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
              360 AMC
              • Oct 02, 2002

A bare bones out the door wagoneer. Rubber mat, bench seat, no exterior trim, no tilt column, nothing extra but the base vehicle. I wanted the numbers to stamp the trim tag on the firewall. Even something close would work.
              I have the paint code.
              Melford1972 says...
              -----------------------
              I make wag parts
              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
              1968 M715 restomod
              2001 Dodge 3500
              2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                360 AMC
                • Oct 02, 2002

Another big milestone completed today. Dick from CE glass drove all the way up here and worked for about 4 hours wrestling in the glass. I am glad I did not even try. He had the right tools like the two mushroom grippers with a thumb vacuum pump on the end of the handle. Putting both of them on the glass enabled him to really push and pull on the glass. He used mineral spirits as a lube and sealed both sides of the gasket with urethane sealer.

Those little wings in the corner are for the trim. Now I see why people want the trimless gasket that is not available. Dick said when demand reduces on a product they tend to make only one version and since the trim gasket works for both applications, they eliminated the no trim gasket. At least I can put the trim back on my X model, (if) I ever get to it.

A small finger smear in front of the defroster duct hole. I will clean that off.
                The inside view against the newly recovered dash pad. Not to bad...

Ready for wipers. I have extra ss trim. I may put it on. I am not sure yet. It would clean up the edges a bit. I am super happy with it. And Bill (owner) has already called to see what is up. I figured I had better post these pictures for him to look at tonight.

This is great.
                Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 12-01-2018, 07:16 PM.
                Melford1972 says...
                -----------------------
                I make wag parts
                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                1968 M715 restomod
                2001 Dodge 3500
                2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• jaber
                  Dragin Az
                  • Oct 17, 2003

WOW, I'd almost be afraid to drive that work of art.
                  I have a pic request, while the seats are out, can we get a full pic of the dash, say, from the cargo area?
                  Jeff

'43 cj2a
                  '51 Willys p/u
                  '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                  '68 Panel Delivery
                  '74 CJ5
                  '75 J-20 Wrecker
                  '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                  '77 J-10 p/u
                  '79 Cherokee
                  '88 Grand Wagoneer
                  '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                    360 AMC
                    • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by jaber
                    WOW, I'd almost be afraid to drive that work of art.
                    I have a pic request, while the seats are out, can we get a full pic of the dash, say, from the cargo area?
                    I can do that Jeff. But I have a steering column issue and the glove box door and NOS clock is not in yet. If you can wait just a bit I will post one up soon.
                    Things are still moving along on Sadie, but I am juggling chainsaws with several other things I am trying to get ahead of. Of course everything needs work around here. I am in my element but time is sure not on my side...

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the folks that have been helping me make the clear shift indicators. Their machine has been destroying my material and producing garbage. So hopefully we will find out what is happening and I can come home with some more indicators to keep passing on to other jeepers that need one.

It is stuff like that that takes a whole day to accomplish. So hang tight and I will take a good photo soon.
                    Melford1972 says...
                    -----------------------
                    I make wag parts
                    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                    1968 M715 restomod
                    2001 Dodge 3500
                    2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• jaber
                      Dragin Az
                      • Oct 17, 2003

No rush, just wanted the thought out there before I forgot it. Thanks Al.
                      Jeff

'43 cj2a
                      '51 Willys p/u
                      '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                      '68 Panel Delivery
                      '74 CJ5
                      '75 J-20 Wrecker
                      '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                      '77 J-10 p/u
                      '79 Cherokee
                      '88 Grand Wagoneer
                      '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Mpower5266
                        230 Tornado
                        • Nov 28, 2018

Wow... my dad and I recently finished rebuilding the engine on a 77 wag so I found this site. I just spent 4 days going through this thread and I must say that it is amazing. Awesome job, I can't wait to see the finished product.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                          360 AMC
                          • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by Mpower5266
                          Wow... my dad and I recently finished rebuilding the engine on a 77 wag so I found this site. I just spent 4 days going through this thread and I must say that it is amazing. Awesome job, I can't wait to see the finished product.
                          That goes for me to.

Be sure to read up on the motor oil thread I started. Our older engines have a different lubrication requirement for cams and other high pressure parts to last than newer engines do. Just select an oil that has 1200 PPM of ZDDP and you will be fine. I am currently switching all my older engines to Valvoline VR1. Thanks for the post.
                          Melford1972 says...
                          -----------------------
                          I make wag parts
                          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                          1968 M715 restomod
                          2001 Dodge 3500
                          2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Rooney77
                            232 I6
                            • Nov 03, 2018

So I just read all 87 pages of this thread. Thank you for sharing and documenting it all. Reading all this inspired me to tackle my own body work.

I do have one question though, what made the windshield so tough to install? I assume the old string around the gasket method is what's used with these, am I wrong? Are they glued in as well?

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                              360 AMC
                              • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by Rooney77
                              So I just read all 87 pages of this thread. Thank you for sharing and documenting it all. Reading all this inspired me to tackle my own body work.

I do have one question though, what made the windshield so tough to install? I assume the old string around the gasket method is what's used with these, am I wrong? Are they glued in as well?
                              Hey no sweat... And thanks...
                              I was just talking with my friend Bill who owns sadie and he said you had written. On your own body work, go for it. For welding in new stuff cool is good. Keep the welds cool by using air and tiny tack's that keep heat down. Heat shrinks. You can stretch metal by doing "on Dolly" strikes with a hammer. Use straight edges, contour gauges or even a cardboard template to work to. Your patch panel should never touch the parent metal. So hours of fitting and trimming is OK. If it touches it will cause a buckle when it gets welded up. If my patch is touching and it did not used to, I run a mini sawzall down the gap to make it not touch again. There is a lot to say on this. You tube has a lot of skilled folks.

If doing dent repairs, research and read up on the "fairmount method"
                              On the dent, first in last out. So most people including myself usually go for the deepest part of a dent. It is a natural desire to go after that because it is ugly. But using the fairmount method you look at the dent, see where the contact was, the dent it made and the surrounding wrinkles or deflections that resulted from that impact site. You will start on the distant stuff first. Eventually working your way to the worst part of the dent last. First in last out. It makes a TON of less work later to do this, metal has a memory and wants to go back where it was. You just have to nudge it a bit.

The windshield was tough. The glass guy was sweating like crazy when he was done. LOTS of pushing, pulling, working the gasket to the correct side, no strings used at all. He did use mineral spirits as a lube and said it was the best stuff for glass installs. He used a squeeze bottle with a pointed tip to apply it. It makes it slippery, evaporates quick, and leaves a sticky tack on the gasket. He put urethane sealant in the groove that went on the body seam. After the glass was in he ran a bead down deep in the glass side of the seal. I watched him for about 15-20 minutes thinking I was going to learn and do it myself. Then changed my mind as it was harder than I imagined. Those two post suction cups he had with thumb pumps were the shiz. It gave him something to push against. I swore he was going to break it. He did not and I am pretty sure I would have.
                              It is good to know your limits and I could see mine there with the glass.
                              Sorry so wordy, I have the gift of gab.... And caffeine induced rambling.

I will be back on Sadie this week. It has been crazy here and I got a lot of unrelated stuff done. Sold a snowmobile, sold my cosmichrome plating system, built some walls and wired them in the house. And took a boat motor apart and it got hauled to the engine builder that did Sadies buick 350. That$ gonna hurt. And changed the motor oil in darn near everything that runs here. Time to get something done on Sadie....
                              No snow and 8 degrees the other morn. We had 2 feet this time last year.
                              The deer are as fuzzy as ever. I believe they know it is coming and could be a good one.
                              Melford1972 says...
                              -----------------------
                              I make wag parts
                              1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                              1968 M715 restomod
                              2001 Dodge 3500
                              2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Rooney77
                                232 I6
                                • Nov 03, 2018

Thanks for that info.

Comment

Working...
                                X