X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe J-Truck
    304 AMC
    • Oct 05, 2001

I'm running 35" 14.5 wide tires on 15x10 rims on my 82 j10. I used the rough country lift kit (rear blocks) with modified (squeezed in a vice) cj 1" lift front spring shackles. I used a jigsaw to trim approx. 1.5" off the fenders and then rolled back the lip with the flat 3" wide style vice grips. The result is a no rubbing with big tires and less lift, providing more stability. The fenders look almost factory.

Comment

• jeepbob
      Jeep Idiot
      • Jan 16, 2001

Snake,
      That is basically what I did with my spring packs on the 65. The problem comes in the frt with a spring under. Unless you get a lot of arch from the added leaves you will hit a point where the thickness of the added leaves will start to subtract from the lift. I used the 78 main under the 65 main to get the rig back up to stock height (it actually went a little higher)as the early rigs suffer from a lot more Wag sag than the later ones. I used the Rancho AAL to gain the needed lift and then selected other leaves to bring the lift up to 4 inches. By using the extra leaves in the rear with the shackle flip, I gained both the desired lift (actually 5") and a decent ride by not getting the spring too stiff. When you add leaves you also add stiffness and the stiffer the spring the harsher th ride.
      65 wag. with a bunch of stuff done and more happening.<br /><br />\"If the local junkyard calls you for Jeep parts, you might be a redneck\".... and yes they do!

Comment

• Kenall

• Apr 15, 2000

another angle..

for thoses with pre 74s u can use wrangler lift kits, well...just the springs..and cut the bushing eyes off the wrangler springs and bolt them up to ur OE main leaf. removeing all other leafs from ur OE packs.

this can work cuz of the wranglers 2.5" wide springs and the fact that no-1 makes kits for the pre 74s...

im using SOA and 3" bod lift with 33s on 15x8s. i rub the front springs at lock and the INNER fender well of the rear in the middle.

[ October 09, 2001: Message edited by: Kenall ]
        Ken's:
        1966 Super Wagoneer
        5.7L 2BBl. Th700R4. NP-208. Opens. 3.31s. 4core. 4Discs. PS,PB,AC,CC,Cassette.
        (Soon to be TBI)
        "If it aint leaking, it's empty!"

Comment

• jeepbob
          Jeep Idiot
          • Jan 16, 2001

Ken,
          Are the wrangler lift springs heavy enough for a V8 Wag?
          65 wag. with a bunch of stuff done and more happening.<br /><br />\"If the local junkyard calls you for Jeep parts, you might be a redneck\".... and yes they do!

Comment

• RustyJeep
            304 AMC
            • Apr 09, 2000

Heck, if your going to buy a Wrangler lift kit, you might as well get 4" custom springs made like I did for my '73. IMO, you cant beat $115 a spring. Well, maybe some people can...

[ October 09, 2001: Message edited by: RustyJeep ]
            -Rustyjeep-
            aka Ben Mitchell
            '73 J4000 3/4 ton -nothing stock-

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dippythelovebug:
              Question about:

I have a 4" suspension lift, installed. I also have a 3" body lift I will be putting on. Will the 33x12.50 on 15x8 rims rub only during lots of flex without trimming? I.E. Do I need to trim right away, or can I hold off if I will be just street driving?

Also what needs to be trimmed? Both the front and the back? Does ayone have pictures?

I have stock rims on my 76 Wagoneer. Those are 15x7" right? So I need to get new rims if I want 33x12.50 tires?
              <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can do some street drinv without rubbing... just watch the dips!!!
              Todd
              www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Kenall

• Apr 15, 2000

if u call up the vendors and ask them about the specs on there springs they must be:

300+ lbs per inch spring rate.
                2.5" wide
                and 44-47" long along the length of the spring eye to eye.
                Ken's:
                1966 Super Wagoneer
                5.7L 2BBl. Th700R4. NP-208. Opens. 3.31s. 4core. 4Discs. PS,PB,AC,CC,Cassette.
                (Soon to be TBI)
                "If it aint leaking, it's empty!"

Comment

• WillyPete
                  327 Rambler
                  • Apr 03, 2001

gah! 14 leaves, snake?! oi vey!

that'd be a wag that would remind me of a dumptruck. if you added more springs, would you get a higher GVWR? deuce and a half waggy, anyone?

what about scotty's setup? i dig the whole "who needs fenders?!" attitude. 38s on a stock rig, 3" BL for flex.

do the 10" vs 8" rims affect height a lot? how much, if so? do they affect fenderwell rubbing on the sides cuz of the extra inch on each side?

Comment

• Gladi8r
                    304 AMC
                    • Jun 20, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RustyJeep:
                    Heck, if your going to buy a Wrangler lift kit, you might as well get 4" custom springs made like I did for my '73. IMO, you cant beat $115 a spring. Well, maybe some people can...

[ October 09, 2001: Message edited by: RustyJeep ]
                    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You got 4" custom springs made for $115/spring???? I sure would like to know where cause I need a 4" lift for my Gladiator
                    DON <br /><a href=\"http://www.Gladi8r.com\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Website</b></a><br /><br />1988 GW 360<br />Edelbrock Intake & 1406<br />TF727/Dana 300<br /><br />1971 J-4500,Rhino Grille<br />A work in progress <br />Soon to be:<br />500 Caddy |Th400 | 205<br />DANA 44/60 (3:73)<br /><br /><b>\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little<br />temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.\" </b> Ben Franklin

Comment

• RustyJeep
                      304 AMC
                      • Apr 09, 2000

AB Spring Service, Inc.
                      4537 Roger B. Chaffee S.E.
                      Grand Rapids, MI 49548
                      1-800-875-3390

They didn't have a spec for my '73 springs, so I brought one in to have them measured. If they don't have a spec now for them, just mention my name and they might remember, or be able to look them up based on that. It's worth a try at least.
                      That was $115 for my front springs no matter what lift. The reason I know this is I first ordered 3" lift, but then changed to four for the same price. They are real good to deal with, and I'd recommend them. They sure fixed me up. They are open from 7am-11pm eastern, too.
                      -Rustyjeep-
                      aka Ben Mitchell

Comment

• RustyJeep
                        304 AMC
                        • Apr 09, 2000

I'll probably be going back to those guys to get custom length rear springs, so my shackle flip works the way it's supposed to. I need about a 1.5" longer on the spring length, and about an 1" more lift to be level. It's very close now, but I'm picky.
                        -Rustyjeep-
                        aka Ben Mitchell

Comment

• jeepgods
                          232 I6
                          • Sep 05, 2001

river beast, ya think i could squeeze a set of 39.5s under a w/t cherokee with a three inch body, soa with 2 extra leaves added?
                          (35s dont come near touching)

Comment

• Gladi8r
                            304 AMC
                            • Jun 20, 2000

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RustyJeep:
                            AB Spring Service, Inc.
                            4537 Roger B. Chaffee S.E.
                            Grand Rapids, MI 49548
                            1-800-875-3390

They didn't have a spec for my '73 springs, so I brought one in to have them measured. If they don't have a spec now for them, just mention my name and they might remember, or be able to look them up based on that. It's worth a try at least.
                            That was $115 for my front springs no matter what lift. The reason I know this is I first ordered 3" lift, but then changed to four for the same price. They are real good to deal with, and I'd recommend them. They sure fixed me up. They are open from 7am-11pm eastern, too.
                            <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks a bunch, I'll have to keep them in mind when it comes time to install my lift.
                            DON <br /><a href=\"http://www.Gladi8r.com\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Website</b></a><br /><br />1988 GW 360<br />Edelbrock Intake & 1406<br />TF727/Dana 300<br /><br />1971 J-4500,Rhino Grille<br />A work in progress <br />Soon to be:<br />500 Caddy |Th400 | 205<br />DANA 44/60 (3:73)<br /><br /><b>\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little<br />temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.\" </b> Ben Franklin

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeepgods:
                              river beast, ya think i could squeeze a set of 39.5s under a w/t cherokee with a three inch body, soa with 2 extra leaves added?
                              (35s dont come near touching)
                              <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like it'll work... only 2.25" more circumference on a 39.5" next to a 35". Take a measurement and let me know... I'll ad it when you get back to me..
                              Todd
                              www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• PanelWaggin'
                                232 I6
                                • Sep 16, 2001

do you think you can get 31*10.5's on stock wheels with a rc aal kit? my stock springs are in great shape, btw. i wouldn't be doing anything real crazy, just trail running and mudding. oh, and i want bfg all terrains, i know different tire companies use different size tires. thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X