• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cookingguy
    230 Tornado
    • Aug 07, 2018

Torque converter questions

So I am doing a bunch of transmission work and transfer case work. I am wanting to do a new torque converter I am having a problem finding on that will fit the bolt pattern. I am looking to do a higher stall than stock.
    What brand and stall do you guys recommend. I was thinking about a 2,000 or maybe a 2200.i found a tci converter that would fit but I have been reading some not good reviews. For them.
    I have a 79 cheif with the 360 and I have a comp cam
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

I would stick with a 12" convertor with a slightly higher stall speed, will have higher fluid capacity for cooler running and be better for street driving. I have used Hughes convertors with good luck.

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
      304 AMC
      • Jul 20, 2014

I bought a Hughes converter, I just drove it around my neighborhood a little. I can stall it to 2 grand with no problem. It is as big as the stock converter if I remember correctly. Purchased through Summit. A friend knew of a few guys running them in circle track dirt cars and were having good luck with them. (not the exact converter I bought, but same company)
      1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
      Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
        304 AMC
        • Jul 20, 2014

ALSO, PLEASE READ INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE INSTALLING CONVERTER!

You will need to drill your flex plate to except the new and bigger converter bolts. I drilled to the size they said and did a test fit on my bench and it was all fine. When I did the install, it was a lot harder to get the bolts started then when it was sitting on the bench. If I were to do it again, I would clean the holes up a little with a round file or some 80 grit sand paper.
        In one of the summit reviews, some guy was complaining about the converter not bolting up to his flex plate.(said it was really close but could not get all the bolts started) I took this as he did not read the instruction, used the wrong drill bit, or it was a little tight like mine.
        Also, I looked at a bunch of different reviews, not just the AMC ones for the Hughes converter, mostly Chevy Turbo 400. I don't have a lot of run time on mine but I hope this helps, good luck.
        1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
        Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

Working...
        X