Rough Country vs. Skyjacker lift on GW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough Country vs. Skyjacker lift on GW

I have a 1989 Grand Wagoneer that I'd like to lift. I don't do any serious off-roading but do a lot of hunting and fishing and would really like to give my Wag a more aggressive look. (As opposed to the station wagon with 4wd look it has now) My question is this, Wich is better the Rough Country 3" lift or the Skyjacker 4" lift? I'd like to be able to fit 32" tires and still be able to see a bit of fender well above the rear wheels. All this with out sacrificing on-road ability as much as possible. Also, all other things being equal is the Skyjacker kit worth the extra $100-$200? If anyone has side-on pictures of a Wag with the RC kit please let me know, the only one I've been able to find has been on the Rigs page and is from a weird angle.
  • Marc_01
    327 Rambler
    • May 10, 2000

This question has been asked many times on this board .

The skyjacker lift is by far the best lift of the two. If you want to fit 32's on your rig, the 4" skyjacker would be the way to go, anything less might rub the fenders.
    87 GW & it\'s brown

Comment

• Hollywood Dave
      258 I6
      • Apr 10, 2000

I have the 4" Skyjacker lift. I went with all new springs not rear blocks. That's your call. I chose to get the new springs instead of having my old rear springs re-sprung. It seems that re-sprung springs sag sooner than new ones. (that,s what the guy that was going to do the re-springing told me...and he stood to make some money) With the blocks the rear sagged a bit. I'll email a picture of the clearance.

------------------
      Hollywood Dave
      '88 Grand Wagoneer, rebuilt 360
      Torker cam
      32X11.50X15R BFG AT
      4" Skyjacker softride
      full suspension lift
      Edelbrock Performer intake
      Edelbrock 4bbl carb
      Be Unique - Drive A FSJ!<br />\'88 Grand Wagoneer, <br />Rebuilt 360, Torker cam<br />TFI upgrade<br />3\" single exhaust<br />Flowmaster Delta Series 50 muffler<br />32X11.50X15R BFG AT<br />4\" Skyjacker softride<br />full suspension lift<br />Edelbrock Performer intake<br />Edelbrock 1406 4bbl carb

Comment

• Marc_01
        327 Rambler
        • May 10, 2000

Dave,

I would like to see a pic of your rig if you don't mind.

[email protected]

thanks,
        87 GW & it\'s brown

Comment

• Manhattan
          304 AMC
          • Jul 30, 2000

I just did the RC lift - all springs. The springs are great. The shocks may be a bit under powered - there is a bit of bounce that seems like the shocks can't control for a second. The springs started out stiff. I went off-road for ten minutes just to flex them - Night & Day difference. The springs are softer and quieter. I am using 31s. 32s would rub at full flex. This is because of the wheel well in rear - a width thing, not a diameter thing.

I will e-mail you a picture or two.
          Mark

Comment

• porkchop
            Master of B.S.
            • Apr 17, 2000

Maybe this price for the SkyJacker 4" will convince you. http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2....AKHLV8E3BK2G36

------------------
            '67/'79 Wagoneer mix
            Body of a 33 year old
            Heart and legs of a 21 year old.
            360,TH400,QT,D44's F&R
            32X11.50's

"I regret that I have but only one paycheck to give to my Jeep."

Comment

• ClarkGriswald
              350 Buick
              • Jul 03, 2000

That kit the JP45K is the kit with blocks for the rear.... the whole system with springs all the way around is the JP45KS

------------------
              88 Grand Wagoneer
              D44's front\rear
              AMC 360
              TF 727
              NP 229 (Funky)
              Bone Stock (for now)
              NO RUNNING BOARDS!
              88 Rusting mound
              79 Rusting mound

Comment

• porkchop
                Master of B.S.
                • Apr 17, 2000

It doesn't really state that on the site, sorry. I have Rancho add-a-leafs and a SOA so I do not know the difference. I was hoping it was the whole thing and someone would find this useful.

------------------
                '67/'79 Wagoneer mix
                Body of a 33 year old
                Heart and legs of a 21 year old.
                360,TH400,QT,D44's F&R
                32X11.50's

"I regret that I have but only one paycheck to give to my Jeep."

Comment

• ClarkGriswald
                  350 Buick
                  • Jul 03, 2000

Its ok, I have found that same page before and was excited too, until I looked it up on the skyjacker site... hehehe.
                  88 Rusting mound
                  79 Rusting mound

Comment

• Ray Stephens
                    230 Tornado
                    • Aug 01, 2000

I put a Skyjacker 4inch lift on my truck a few years ago. Its in Petersens 4wheel and offroad Jan.2000 reader's rigs. I will say it easily clears the 33x12.50/15 dunlops but the additional arch in the springs make the ride a might stiff. advantage if your towing a boat or camper, disadvantage if your not. add-a-leafs will stiffen the ride a little but not anywhere near as much as the "softride" (haha) system. I also found if you use the arched springs with nitro shocks toss the front sway bar or better yet use quick-detach links. If not you will find your kidneys really hurt after offroading.

Comment

• Marc_01
                      327 Rambler
                      • May 10, 2000

Ray,

Do you have any pictures of your rig? I remember seeing a nice wag in a off road mag not to long ago, it might have been yours. Is your wag brown?
                      87 GW & it\'s brown

Comment

• Ray Stephens
                        230 Tornado
                        • Aug 01, 2000

It's an 81 J-10 tan in Jan.2000 Petersen's offroad reader's rides. The one that looks like it has a silo in the bed. My brother took the picture and mailed it in about 4 years ago. They must get alot of mail. Now its much uglier.Two I-6's later,a little rust with age,etc. I'm building a 69 Olds 455 and 400 turbo for it,puckering up for the $525.00 adapter kit for the 208 next and trying to keep my 72 J-2000(needs springs)roadworthy.I need a second job just for the hobby.

Comment

Working...
                        X