• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bkilby
    350 Buick
    • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by rang-a-stang

BBBBWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!
    How much beer do I have to leave in the fridge to make this happen?!!??! Except the relays part?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

+1

Don't worry about the beer. I'll bring it and some lawn chairs so a few can sit and watch.
    1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
      258 I6
      • Dec 17, 2018

Wow wow wow! I have been away from this site waaaaaaay too long!
      You have been killing it Marc! Incrediable work as always, I commend you for pulling the engine, seems like the right way to do that work. I probably would have puttered around trying to squeeze my hands in places for a week only to pull the engine later to do it right .
      Seriously awesome, I will be coming back to this for pics of relays and fuse boxes.

Also you guys crack me up, loved all the comments!
      Some call me Taylor...

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
      Pewter, Blue Interior, Original 401
      PO swapped in a 360, soon to be a 401 again!
      "Soon" is a relative term.
      Cracked cylinder put a hurt on me + bad connecting rods.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

One week down; 3 to go. I just spent 12 hours on Easter Sunday going through all my posts and fixing the picture links. I would say about 1/3 of my pictures stopped working. Annoying. I hope I never have to do that again.
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
          258 I6
          • Dec 17, 2018

One week down; 3 to go. I just spent 12 hours on Easter Sunday going through all my posts and fixing the picture links. I would say about 1/3 of my pictures stopped working. Annoying. I hope I never have to do that again.
          Youre a stronger man than I, I have said to myself I would also do this. But dont have the will!

Hope you had a good Easter even in quarantine!
          Some call me Taylor...

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
            350 Buick
            • Aug 19, 2003

Marc

Thanks for posting so many detailed descriptions and pics. Now that I have a twin Cherokee, I'm really going back through and looking close and comparing what is missing or placed different than yours. My solenoid is in a totally different spot than yours is.
            Just one example. Mine also came with dealer installed A/C I assume.

I'm currently looking for the Saxon yellow paint. My tailgate was missing so I installed the brown one but would love to get it the same color as the jeep.

Where did you buy your firewall paint? and how much did that take?

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by 78 WIDETRAC
              Marc

Thanks for posting so many detailed descriptions and pics. Now that I have a twin Cherokee, I'm really going back through and looking close and comparing what is missing or placed different than yours. My solenoid is in a totally different spot than yours is.
              Just one example. Mine also came with dealer installed A/C I assume.

I'm currently looking for the Saxon yellow paint. My tailgate was missing so I installed the brown one but would love to get it the same color as the jeep.

Where did you buy your firewall paint? and how much did that take?
              Yeppo!

I took the access panel off my tailgate, since it had always been covered by carpet so not faded, and went to my local Finish Master. Looks like there is one in Beaverton, Beaverton finishmaster weblink
              The paint code is 9L. I told them I needed one spray can of two stage 1979 AMC Saxon Yellow 9L and they mixed it up for me overnight. I left the access panel for them to match, just in case they could not find the formula. I think I paid about $20 for the can? I used about 2/3's of a can on the first attempt. When I repainted the firewall (after it peeled), I finished the can off (so about the other 1/3) but I did not do the entire firewall. I would think you could do a tailgate with one can but it might be close (assuming you would do the sides and insides as well).

My passenger side inner fenderwell was replaced after a wreck from the previous owner. He used a front clip from a Honcho and I think it was a 78 since the side marker light did not match. Maybe in 78 they were in a different spot?
              I ordered new 79-80 Cherokee Chief stickers this week. The son and I are hoping to wet sand/buff the tailgate and sides and get those on as soon as I get home.

Last week I got a call and he said the Jeep "just stopped running" in a parking lot. We talked on the phone together and troubleshot it down to the fuel pump again. Good thing I put a spare in my tool kit! I told him we have road side assistance and he can tow it home for free. His answer, "NO! That's embarrassing! I am going to fix this." A small tear rolled down my face.

My wife called me about 2 hours later:
              Wife: I haven't heard from Jamie in 2 hours!!!
              Me: I know, let him be.
              W: Should I call a tow truck?
              M: No! Let him do this. Text him and ask if he needs a flashlight but let him do this.
              W: It's 7:30! You think we should just leave him?!
              M: Yep. He's got this.

About 30 mins later he called and he was happier than when he got his first Varsity QB sack!
              Jamie: DAD!!! DID YOU HEAR THAT?!?!?
              Me: No, what was it?
              J: IT RUNS!!! I FIXED IT!!!
              Me:

J: DO YOU KNOW HOW GOOOD THAT FEELS?!?!?!
              M: Yes. Yes I do.

Funny though, I felt better that he planted his flag in that and stuck with it than anything else. I gave him the option to bail and he didn't. That night, that truck became his. Our hobby became his, too.
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                350 Buick
                • Aug 19, 2003

Yeppo!

I took the access panel off my tailgate, since it had always been covered by carpet so not faded, and went to my local Finish Master. Looks like there is one in Beaverton, Beaverton finishmaster weblink
                The paint code is 9L. I told them I needed one spray can of two stage 1979 AMC Saxon Yellow 9L and they mixed it up for me overnight. I left the access panel for them to match, just in case they could not find the formula. I think I paid about $20 for the can? I used about 2/3's of a can on the first attempt. When I repainted the firewall (after it peeled), I finished the can off (so about the other 1/3) but I did not do the entire firewall. I would think you could do a tailgate with one can but it might be close (assuming you would do the sides and insides as well). Great!!!! Thank you.

My passenger side inner fenderwell was replaced after a wreck from the previous owner. He used a front clip from a Honcho and I think it was a 78 since the side marker light did not match. Maybe in 78 they were in a different spot?

Ok. Cool. Mine actually looks out of place where it's at. More pic research....

I ordered new 79-80 Cherokee Chief stickers this week. The son and I are hoping to wet sand/buff the tailgate and sides and get those on as soon as I get home.

I noticed you were looking to get the stickers. I'm looking forward to the results.

Last week I got a call and he said the Jeep "just stopped running" in a parking lot. We talked on the phone together and troubleshot it down to the fuel pump again. Good thing I put a spare in my tool kit! I told him we have road side assistance and he can tow it home for free. His answer, "NO! That's embarrassing! I am going to fix this." A small tear rolled down my face.

My wife called me about 2 hours later:
                Wife: I haven't heard from Jamie in 2 hours!!!
                Me: I know, let him be.
                W: Should I call a tow truck?
                M: No! Let him do this. Text him and ask if he needs a flashlight but let him do this.
                W: It's 7:30! You think we should just leave him?!
                M: Yep. He's got this.

About 30 mins later he called and he was happier than when he got his first Varsity QB sack!
                Jamie: DAD!!! DID YOU HEAR THAT?!?!?
                Me: No, what was it?
                J: IT RUNS!!! I FIXED IT!!!
                Me:

J: DO YOU KNOW HOW GOOOD THAT FEELS?!?!?!
                M: Yes. Yes I do.

Funny though, I felt better that he planted his flag in that and stuck with it than anything else. I gave him the option to bail and he didn't. That night, that truck became his. Our hobby became his, too.

Well, That's nothing but COOL!!! Congrats on planting the FSJ seed and seeing the benefits of your hard work.

Comment

• chubbinius
                  258 I6
                  • Oct 31, 2018

That's an awesome report, Marc. Stoked for both Jamie for sorting it out and getting it back running...and stoked for you as the proud Dad too. Great post!
                  1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
                  -Dauntless 350 V8
                  -D27 front/D44 rear
                  2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• GWNashville
                    232 I6
                    • Dec 28, 2016

Build Tread

Moving along nicely!
                    Richard
                    GWNashville
                    Email:[email protected]
                    1989 Grand Wagoneer 360 c.i.
                    727 Transmission
                    Sniper EFI Hyperspark
                    Serehill Rear Glass and Fog Light Harness.

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                      258 I6
                      • Dec 17, 2018

Fantastic story Marc, so happy for you!
                      Some call me Taylor...

Comment

• Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                        Cherokee Outlaw
                        • Jan 10, 2006

Whoa your Jeep as made quite the transformation since I last peeked in on here. Great job, Marc!
                        -Jonny B.
                        1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
                        7" Alcan springs, BJ's HD shackles - 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains
                        AMC 401 - Pro-Flo 4 EFI
                        NV4500/NWF BB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
                        F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
                        R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                        1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
                        1979 Wagoneer - Sold
                        1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 25, 2016

great news
                          I would still be by the side of the road.

chalk one up for the chip off the old block

dave in NC
                          SOLSAKS - dave
                          1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                          1982 J-10 Fleetside
                          1988 grand wagoneer
                          2004 RUBICON jeep
                          Benson, NC

Comment

• J76137
                            232 I6
                            • Sep 03, 2019

It
                            My carcaine addiction wasted my life but it is a life well wasted.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by chubbinius
                              That's an awesome report, Marc. Stoked for both Jamie for sorting it out and getting it back running...and stoked for you as the proud Dad too. Great post!
                              Thanks! My first 3 midgets were all trainwrecks at this age so it is kind of nice not having to deal with that.
                              Originally posted by GWNashville
                              Moving along nicely!
                              Thank you, sir! Not quite the speed or details of yours but it's coming!
                              Originally posted by Wagoneer Taylor
                              Fantastic story Marc, so happy for you!
                              Thanks, Taylor!
                              Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                              Whoa your Jeep as made quite the transformation since I last peeked in on here. Great job, Marc!
                              IOW, peek in here more often!
                              Originally posted by SOLSAKS
                              great news
                              I would still be by the side of the road.

chalk one up for the chip off the old block

dave in NC
                              No way, Dave! You would have made sure your truck didn't break down in the first place! Buy the best, cry once! I buy crap, then whine about it on here.
                              Originally posted by J76137
                              It
                              Looks like you got bit by the apostrophe bug on here. Stupid apostrophe bug.
                              **************************************************
                              Home for a few weeks spending some time with the fam. I snuck out to the garage for a little bit, though. First things first: Did a walk around inspection for damage. There was no new damage. WHHHhhhheeeewww!! He did drive it quite a bit. Other than the fuel pump, he said it has been running really well.

While I was gone, I ordered a set of the Phoenix Graphics 79-80 Cherokee Chief stickers. I decided to start with installing them on the tailgate since it is the smallest of them. The previous owner spray painted almost the entire tailgate. The paint is about a 97% match and a satin finish. When the truck is dirty, you do not notice the spray paint, when it is clean, the paint looks blotchy and bad. I have also mentioned you can see the ghost of the old stickers under the spray paint so I can't put the new stickers on with all that old garbage under them. Therefore, task 1 is to remove the spray paint and old adhesive. I would rather see old knicked original paint than blotchy spray paint.

Here is what I started with (old picture but you can see what I am talking about):

I started with 600 grit wet paper. Not aggressive enough. Then white scotchbrite pads. Still nada. Then green scothbrite pads. That worked OK. It seems to pull off the paint and red primer under it without digging into the original paint. Here is where I started:

I spent about an hour and a half with scothbrite pads and 400 grit wet. I found a good process was scothbrite to start, then 400 grit to finish. I think I need about 2 more hours of pads/wet sanding and the back will be done.

You may ask, "Why not just paint the whole tailgate? Wouldn't it be easier to hit the whole tailgate with 180 or 220 grit, strip to bare metal, and repaint?" Yes but I am doing it this way because I am not going to paint the whole truck and I do not want my tailgate to look new and shiney and the rest of the truck look like old kicked up/faded/oxidized crappy paint. I want the whole thing to look equally crappy. I am pretty happy with the condition of the paint under neath; it will come back pretty nice (like my roof did). What's odd to me is there is no sticker left on this, but you can see the old sticker outline because the paint inside the letters and the lower stripe have worn down to the primer. When I close my eyes and run my hand over this, it is as smooth as glass (except for the blob of adhesive over the Jeep emblem). I am going to get some color matched paint to paint under the stickers but am not going to do the whole tailgate.

I think, maybe the previous owner sanded off some of the stickers and that's why it is worn down there? I hope the rest of the truck is not like that... This is going to take a while...
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• J76137
                                232 I6
                                • Sep 03, 2019

Looks like you got bit by the apostrophe bug on here. Stupid apostrophe bug.
                                Looks that way. I think it is awesome when the kids can share a hobby and more so when they have success with it.
                                My carcaine addiction wasted my life but it is a life well wasted.

Comment

Working...
                                X