• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crist Clapper
    I'm being stalked by Steve... Save me!
    • Apr 28, 2008

Headliner Replacement?

Has anyone successfully replaced/installed their headliner and it turn-out perfect/near-perfect? If so, pictures would be appreciated.
    1990 Grand Wagoneer:
    Delilah - def: "White Lady (cocktail) with the additional ingredients of egg-whites, sugar, and cream"

1987 XJ Wagoneer Limited:
    Desiree - def: ?Much Desired? [orig: French] ? Desirable Charcoal Gray façade, Wood-grain vêneers,and Tan Leather éssentials"

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association (FJS-PRIS)
  • ZackN920
    350 Buick
    • Nov 18, 2015

I made my own that "I" think look's good. Other's may not think so, and it's not "prissy" at all.

I got sick of flakes falling on my head from the backing material that was up there, so here's what I did. I went to walmart, and bought a "bed sheet set" that matched the color of the old material. I also picked up a box of thumb tacks. I cut peices out of the sheet's to match the spaces, and then "tacked' them in place. I made measurements durring the process, so that the tacks arn't just up there at random. It actually came out really good up front. The edges were slipped under the trim inside, so theres no cut looking peices stcking out. Ive been happy with it the whole time, so far that it's been up there.(over a year)
    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
    Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
    ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• Crist Clapper
      • Apr 28, 2008

Very creative sir!
      1990 Grand Wagoneer:
      Delilah - def: "White Lady (cocktail) with the additional ingredients of egg-whites, sugar, and cream"

Desiree - def: ?Much Desired? [orig: French] ? Desirable Charcoal Gray façade, Wood-grain vêneers,and Tan Leather éssentials"

Comment

• SOLSAKS
        304 AMC
        • Jul 25, 2016

in the wagoneer i am currently restoring
        the headliner and board are in fine shape.
        there are the two small drooped areas in rear portion
        in back left and right corners, but it is the board that is slightly bowed.
        not from water damage either, just from the weight over 30 years i guess.
        my situation is the headliner is only faded not sagging, and is still stuck very well.
        but, with an old failing headliner the fix is easy if foam is dried and flaking, etc.
        ,...with that situation you can use a really stiff wire brush and you can just brush old foam off of board. spray with 3m adhesive, apply new headliner material, trim and done.

but with one that is not turning loose you have to use a wire brush wheel on a drill, and be careful not to cut into the cardboard backer.

i did make a headliner on my last restoration of a car.
        i used corrugated plastic like used for yard signs,
        a 4x8 sheet, made pattern, trimmed, then applied a decal covering the plastic in correct red color, it turned out great except for the faintly visible lines in the plastic material.

there is a smooth plastic that is available, i have thought of trying
        to make one out of that for the wagoneer, but undecided at the moment.

dave in NC
        SOLSAKS - dave
        1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
        1982 J-10 Fleetside
        1988 grand wagoneer
        2004 RUBICON jeep
        Benson, NC

Comment

• Cherokeeowner
          258 I6
          • Jul 25, 2010

My boards are good, I just haven't found the correct material for the 88 GW. My wife saw a picture online of a plaid headliner and thinks that's what we should do. I'm not so sure.
          Last edited by Cherokeeowner; 06-04-2017, 03:54 PM.
          Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

"Proud to be prissy."

1988 Grand Wagoneer

1986 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Randyzzz
            258 I6
            • Mar 03, 2008

When I was redoing my 90, I had a good board with just a bit of droop. I had a local upholstery shop flip the liner so the droop was eliminated, and then they glued on some OEM looking material that they supplied. I installed it and it looked better than new! The visors, well, they wanted nothing to do with them. That shop has since gone out of business.

Just got a SMS headliner for my J20. Looks great, but I haven't installed it yet.
            Randy S.
            It's not what you Buy, it's what you Build.
            1987 J20 SOLD
            1966 Waggy SOLD
            1970 Waggy SOLD
            1982 Scrambler SOLD
            1981 Scrambler - Current Project/Keeper

Comment

• Frank Ziebert
              327 Rambler
              • Dec 04, 2016

Originally posted by Randyzzz
              When I was redoing my 90, I had a good board with just a bit of droop. I had a local upholstery shop flip the liner so the droop was eliminated, and then they glued on some OEM looking material that they supplied. I installed it and it looked better than new! The visors, well, they wanted nothing to do with them. That shop has since gone out of business.

Just got a SMS headliner for my J20. Looks great, but I haven't installed it yet.
              Hey Randy where did you source that headliner?
              1970 J2000(2500) Currently undergoing frame off resto
              Stinger 2005 Jeep Unlimited, Sahara, Rubicon slightly modified

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                360 AMC
                • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by Frank Ziebert
                From the very WORST company in restoration anywhere. I will tell you more Frank when you get here. Then you can take your chances with SMS.
                Read the reviews folks. My story is just as bad if not worse than the worst review out there. Google the reviews. They stole money from our car account. SMS is a very bad place to try and do business!

For you guys that are working with the original boards or an aftermarket board that will absorb a liquid. Look into minwax wood hardener. It will stiffen and waterproof door panels, head liners and recently a new firewall pad, etc. It is for adding strength to rotten wood but has a great application in the areas I mention. Great stuff and strong.
                Melford1972 says...
                I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                -----------------------
                I make wag parts
                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                1968 M715 restomod
                2001 Dodge 3500
                2002 Toyota Tundra
                2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• deanb
                  230 Tornado
                  • Nov 23, 2004

this post is perfect timing. my 75 Wag came without headliner or foam and I have sanded to bare metal and rust-proofed, montsa-lined and next is fat-mat.
                  any ideas on a vendor or source for used headliners?

Comment

• Cherokeeowner
                    258 I6
                    • Jul 25, 2010

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
                    From the very WORST company in restoration anywhere. I will tell you more Frank when you get here. Then you can take your chances with SMS.
                    Read the reviews folks. My story is just as bad if not worse than the worst review out there. Google the reviews. They stole money from our car account. SMS is a very bad place to try and do business!

For you guys that are working with the original boards or an aftermarket board that will absorb a liquid. Look into minwax wood hardener. It will stiffen and waterproof door panels, head liners and recently a new firewall pad, etc. It is for adding strength to rotten wood but has a great application in the areas I mention. Great stuff and strong.
                    Thank You!
                    Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

"Proud to be prissy."

1988 Grand Wagoneer

1986 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Randyzzz
                      258 I6
                      • Mar 03, 2008

Originally posted by Frank Ziebert
                      Bought it through an auction on EBay. $135.00 shipped to my door.

There are 2 SMS corporations, one in Oregon called SMS Auto Fabrics, one in Georgia called SMS Headliners LLC. The one from EBay comes from Georgia. I have read some less than stellar reviews about the Oregon based SMS.

Current auction-

Randy S.
                      It's not what you Buy, it's what you Build.
                      1987 J20 SOLD
                      1966 Waggy SOLD
                      1970 Waggy SOLD
                      1982 Scrambler SOLD
                      1981 Scrambler - Current Project/Keeper

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                        360 AMC
                        • Oct 02, 2002

Originally posted by Randyzzz
                        Bought it through an auction on EBay. $135.00 shipped to my door.

There are 2 SMS corporations, one in Oregon called SMS Auto Fabrics, one in Georgia called SMS Headliners LLC. The one from EBay comes from Georgia. I have read some less than stellar reviews about the Oregon based SMS.

Current auction-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-1988-Fu...1YYvlT&vxp=mtr
                        That is a relief to read. I don't want to rain on Franks chances of getting a headliner, or anyone elses for that matter. But if it was the Oregon SMS auto fabrics, it is worth a very big warning. Glad to hear it is someone else.
                        Melford1972 says...
                        I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                        -----------------------
                        I make wag parts
                        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                        1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                        1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                        1968 M715 restomod
                        2001 Dodge 3500
                        2002 Toyota Tundra
                        2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                        Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Pasta_Man
                          232 I6
                          • Apr 08, 2016

headliner

Yes, I replaced mine about a year ago and I'm very happy to say it held up without a problem even during the 30+ days of 100+ degree heat in the Sacramento area this summer...

It's become the most complemented part of my Jeep - after I point it out to people, of course.

My wife and I went down to Jo-Ann fabric, found a cool plaid pattern, and simply glued it atop the new headliner fabric (after doing all the dirty work to remove the old crud off the cardboard liner).

All in all it didn't really cost much - maybe $75 for the fabric and a few glue spray cans. Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

• Crist Clapper
                            • Apr 28, 2008

I'm getting an error to the two picture links... Thoughts?

404. That?s an error.
                            The requested URL was not found on this server. That?s all we know.

Originally posted by Pasta_Man
                            Yes, I replaced mine about a year ago and I'm very happy to say it held up without a problem even during the 30+ days of 100+ degree heat in the Sacramento area this summer...

It's become the most complemented part of my Jeep - after I point it out to people, of course.

My wife and I went down to Jo-Ann fabric, found a cool plaid pattern, and simply glued it atop the new headliner fabric (after doing all the dirty work to remove the old crud off the cardboard liner).

All in all it didn't really cost much - maybe $75 for the fabric and a few glue spray cans. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...C9GA8I_tYizd5H
                            1990 Grand Wagoneer:

Comment

• Pasta_Man
                              232 I6
                              • Apr 08, 2016

I'm sorry about that... required a login to get to the location.

Here are the pics:

Comment

Working...
                              X