Strange and sudden popping sound while turning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • porkchop
    Master of B.S.
    • Apr 17, 2000

Strange and sudden popping sound while turning?

Today I was driving the Wag after I already drove it once. I turned into my parking spot and I heard a strange lound "pop" sound. The first thing I thought is Tie-rod, great. I had someone turn the whell side to side while I looked at it, and it sounded like it was coming from the bumper!!!! So now I am thinking steering box is jacked up because it is the only thing attached to the frame. I am worried about driving it home. Thanks.
  • Lindel
    Perfesser of Jeepology
    • Jun 15, 2000

When's the last time you tightened the u-bolts for the front springs? I'll bet if you tighten them, it'll go away. It's a standard noise for an FSJ, and was installed from the factory at no charge!
    Jeep Grounds
    RRV Homepage
    Texas Full Size Jeep Association
    1987 Grand Wagoneer
    AMC 360/TF727/NP229
    1999 Wrangler Sport
    4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• WudreauxTWW
      232 I6
      • Jul 10, 2001

Loose U-Bolts... hmmm... I've been chasing the same kind of popping/thumping sounds under my wag too... I'll have to crawl under and crank those bad boys down a turn or two... Thanks Lindel!!!
      Wudreaux the Wonder Wagon<BR>\'78 Wagoneer<BR>401 TH400/QT/Low Range<BR>TFI Upgrade<P><BR>Bone stock... but not for long!!!

Comment

• porkchop
        Master of B.S.
        • Apr 17, 2000

Good suggestion, but that can't be it. I just got done going through it last weekend and everything was very tight.

Comment

304 AMC
          • Apr 08, 2001

The rubber bushings in my front shackles are basically gone, it pops every time I turn into my driveway...spring eye shifts up and down until it hits the bolt.
          David
          76 NT Cherokee
          83 CJ7
          05 Frontier CC 4x2

Comment

• jeepbob
            Jeep Idiot
            • Jan 16, 2001

did you check the frt axle ujoints?
            65 wag. with a bunch of stuff done and more happening.<br /><br />\"If the local junkyard calls you for Jeep parts, you might be a redneck\".... and yes they do!

Comment

• porkchop
              Master of B.S.
              • Apr 17, 2000

River Beast was over tonight and we looked at it and figured that it had to be the leaf spring eye bolts like 243 said. The bushings are shot! Thanks for all the help. It is time for some fixing!

Comment

• jeepguzzi
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Oct 21, 2000

I had that same noise, Yep, spring eye bushings. Installed a set of poly bushings 8 years ago and haven't heard that noise since
                79Cherokee Chief<br />4\" BDS Lift<br />Custom Bumper <br />33\"x 11.5\" x 15\" BFG All-Terrains"<br /> T.H. 400 B.W.1339 Quadra Trac <br />Mile marker 16% O.D.part time kit<br />360c.i. Edelbrock pkg.<br />MSD ign. & coil <br/>Bored .030 over<br />Tri-Y headers<br />stainless steel exhaust<br />mustang seats<br />Holley 4bbl

Comment

• bighouse
                  232 I6
                  • May 31, 2000

Yep, same thing here...heard a popping sound when Id turn into my driveway and wasnt sure what the cause was. It disappeared when i installed a 3" lift kit; new springs/poly bushings did the trick!
                  bighouse<br /><br />1983 Wagoneer Limited \"Big Wood\" <br /> 360,727,229<br /> 3\" RC lift-32x11.50xR15\'s<br /><br />1983 Cherokee Laredo \"The Hulk\" <br /> 360,727,229<br /> (parts)

Comment

• irbob
                    360 AMC
                    • Apr 11, 2000

hmmmmm, I had that sound but it was a loose body mount.
                    Bob
                    83 Wagoneer Brougham (Rolled) Woooof
                    83 Wagoneer Limited (Parts Rig) Woooof II

Comment

• ExpandingMan
                      232 I6
                      • Jul 07, 2001

For what it's worth...I have 'the pop' as well. It seems (like my elec tailgate) it likes rainy days.
                      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                      1983 Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                      X