• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cherokee83
    258 I6
    • Oct 12, 2006

Dana 60 full-floating/Dana 60 semi-floating

Hey, its that time of year in the mid-west! looking to swapp out my factory axles both front and rear for Dana 60 axles! this will be a daily drive to and from work 75 miles out and 75 miles in, by hi-way 65 to 80 miles an hour i work in a shiping yard so i will have to do some off roading in deep mud and snow, i have found all kinds of info on other trucks but not much info on use of Dana 60 on FSJ!! semi-floating dana 60 have the 35 spline like the full-floating dana 60 axles! so what makes the full-floating Dana 60 axle stronger?? also need info on the high-pinion Dana 60 kingpin axle? what dana 60 axle should i use GM/Ford/Dodge would like to run a 8 bolt wheel trying to keep away from 14 bolts what gears should i use, see that i will be running up and down the hi-way in this cherokee??
  • 1977cherokeechief
    350 Buick
    • Apr 21, 2007

i cant really help you a whole lot besides a couple questions for you.

what motor, tranny, and t-case are you running, and also, what size of tires?
    nate

the new fixer upper
    1977 cherokee chief
    360, th400, QT
    33" tires
    edelbrock 600cfm

82 mustang 5.0 5 speed. ford racing intake, edelbrock, offbrand long tubes, and glass packs.

Originally posted by jamsni
    Just explain that you are trying to do your part to stimulate the economy. Buying it is just the right thing to do.

Comment

• Dmntxn77
      Hey watch this...
      • Nov 19, 2004

1) With a semi float axle, the axle itself has to carry the entire load of the vehicle. A full float does not carry any load.

2) What kind of info are you looking for on the D60 kingpin axle? If your question is about the kingpins, then the answer is yes, they are way stronger and easier to work with than a ball joint.

3) If your FSJ is drivers side drop, you will need a Ford D60. If your FSJ is passenger side drop, then you will need a Chevy or Dodge D60.

4) Almost all D60's are 8 lug, so that wont be a problem.

5) Why stay away from a 14 bolt? That rear axle is far superior to a D60 in every way except for weight and ground clearance (which can be fixed). It is probably the most popular rear axle swap for all 4x4's (my D70 is better though ).

6) The gears that you use will depend on the engine/tranny combo that you have and the tire size that you plan on running.

Comment

• cherokee83
        258 I6
        • Oct 12, 2006

Originally posted by 1977cherokeechief
        i cant really help you a whole lot besides a couple questions for you.

what motor, tranny, and t-case are you running, and also, what size of tires?
        360 engine 727 transmission and i think 208 t-case looking to run 33's and up

Comment

• cherokee83
          258 I6
          • Oct 12, 2006

Originally posted by Dmntxn77
          1) With a semi float axle, the axle itself has to carry the entire load of the vehicle. A full float does not carry any load.

2) What kind of info are you looking for on the D60 kingpin axle? If your question is about the kingpins, then the answer is yes, they are way stronger and easier to work with than a ball joint.

3) If your FSJ is drivers side drop, you will need a Ford D60. If your FSJ is passenger side drop, then you will need a Chevy or Dodge D60.

4) Almost all D60's are 8 lug, so that wont be a problem.

5) Why stay away from a 14 bolt? That rear axle is far superior to a D60 in every way except for weight and ground clearance (which can be fixed). It is probably the most popular rear axle swap for all 4x4's (my D70 is better though ).

6) The gears that you use will depend on the engine/tranny combo that you have and the tire size that you plan on running.
          i have the drives side drop so what year ford D60 should i run?? so does the king pin have the 35 spline? what year and make can you find the king pin axle? my cherokee has the 360 engine/trans727/t-case208 i think

Comment

• wickedwagon767
            304 AMC
            • Dec 26, 2005

Originally posted by cherokee83
            i have the drives side drop so what year ford D60 should i run?? so does the king pin have the 35 spline? what year and make can you find the king pin axle? my cherokee has the 360 engine/trans727/t-case208 i think
            You will need a late-70's to early 90's Ford Dana60 front. Many from the late 80's early 90's had ball-joint type knuckles. check on that.

The Ford Kingpin Dana60 front axles have 35-spline inner and outer axleshafts.

Also, Not all full-floating Dana60 rear axles have 35-spline axleshafts. Most of them had 30-spline axleshafts.

Comment

• cherokee83
              258 I6
              • Oct 12, 2006

Originally posted by wickedwagon767
              You will need a late-70's to early 90's Ford Dana60 front. Many from the late 80's early 90's had ball-joint type knuckles. check on that.

The Ford Kingpin Dana60 front axles have 35-spline inner and outer axleshafts.

Also, Not all full-floating Dana60 rear axles have 35-spline axleshafts. Most of them had 30-spline axleshafts.
              so how do i know what dana60 have the 35 splines?? does the axles have vin numbers you can look for that tells is the axles are 35 spline over 30 spline??

Comment

• wickedwagon767
                304 AMC
                • Dec 26, 2005

Originally posted by cherokee83
                so how do i know what dana60 have the 35 splines?? does the axles have vin numbers you can look for that tells is the axles are 35 spline over 30 spline??

Dana60 rear axles out of 70's and 80's F-250 trucks with low GVW (gross vehicle weight) had 30-spline shafts. The 1-ton high GVW vehicles had the 35-spline 60's. The Dana60 rear axles in Fullsize Jeep J20 pickups had 30-spline shafts. Most Dodge Dana60 rear axles had 30-spline shafts

No worries if you get one with 30-spline shafts. You can covert one to 35-spline

you can unbolt the hub and check the axleshaft spline count if you don't know what vehicle the axle came out of

Comment

• LTS06
                  232 I6
                  • Nov 29, 2006

A lot of full float D-60's out there are 30 spline shafts. All the semi float D-60's I've come across are 35 splines.

BUT the semi float 60's are also C-clip axles...meaning the shafts are retained by c-clips (read ford 8.8, chryco 8.25 etc). You'll find them in a fair amount of vans and even J-trucks have them in ceratin years (5 lug application).

Strong axle.

Also be sure it is indeed a D-60. If it has a 3.54 or 3.07 gear ratio I would steer clear as it is a D-61...D-60's start at 3.55. Not a bad axle but those were the only 2 ratios offered for it. D-60 internals can be used in it but I am not sure what is needed to do so.
                  1973 J2000 360/T15
                  1978 CJ-5 304/T-150/D-20 STOCK
                  1987 MJ 10B/14B axles with 5.13's
                  1967 M-416 1/4 ton trailer
                  1974 Scout II 345/T-18/D-20

Comment

• cherokee83
                    258 I6
                    • Oct 12, 2006

Originally posted by LTS06
                    A lot of full float D-60's out there are 30 spline shafts. All the semi float D-60's I've come across are 35 splines.

BUT the semi float 60's are also C-clip axles...meaning the shafts are retained by c-clips (read ford 8.8, chryco 8.25 etc). You'll find them in a fair amount of vans and even J-trucks have them in ceratin years (5 lug application).

Strong axle.

Also be sure it is indeed a D-60. If it has a 3.54 or 3.07 gear ratio I would steer clear as it is a D-61...D-60's start at 3.55. Not a bad axle but those were the only 2 ratios offered for it. D-60 internals can be used in it but I am not sure what is needed to do so.
                    so my question!! if i pick of a pair of Dana 60 from a junk yard, there are no markings on the axle to tell me if its full-floating or semi-floating? lot of work and weight just to drive home and open up axle to see its not what im looking for!! there has to be some type of marking to keep me from buy the rong axles twices

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                      Hey watch this...
                      • Nov 19, 2004

You can tell if its full float or not from about 100' away, so I wouldnt worry about that...

I will try to find a couple pics for you.

BTW, just so we are on the same page, you do realize:

1) 8 "bolt" as you call it is actually 8 lug, and it refers to the number of lug nuts you have on your wheel.

2) a Corporate 14 bolt is a style of axle used by GM, and that number refers to the number of bolts that are used to hold the diff cover on, and has nothing to do with the number of lugs.

3) The terms full float and semi float refer to the rear axle, not the front. All front D60's are full float...

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                        Hey watch this...
                        • Nov 19, 2004

Semi Float (fairly rare 6 lug version): Note how smooth it is inside the lug pattern.

Full Float: Note the 6 bolts that are inside the lug pattern. Those bolts are holding the flange on the end of the axle shaft. If you remove those bolts, you can slide the axle shaft out without removing the wheel or even jacking the vehicle.

Comment

• cherokee83
                          258 I6
                          • Oct 12, 2006

You can tell if its full float or not from about 100' away, so I wouldnt worry about that...

I will try to find a couple pics for you.

BTW, just so we are on the same page, you do realize:

1) 8 "bolt" as you call it is actually 8 lug, and it refers to the number of lug nuts you have on your wheel.

2) a Corporate 14 bolt is a style of axle used by GM, and that number refers to the number of bolts that are used to hold the diff cover on, and has nothing to do with the number of lugs.

3) The terms full float and semi float refer to the rear axle, not the front. All front D60's are full float...
                          well for the most part i was sure that what i called 8 bolt was the number of lug nuts used to hold wheels But I always thought a 14 bolt corporate had 14 lugs nuts and no way was i going to swapp out for 14 lug nuts Big up's on that info but i was also told that a 14 corporate has ver y low clearnes but i could be rong about that to

Comment

• cherokee83
                            258 I6
                            • Oct 12, 2006

Semi Float (fairly rare 6 lug version): Note how smooth it is inside the lug pattern.

Full Float: Note the 6 bolts that are inside the lug pattern. Those bolts are holding the flange on the end of the axle shaft. If you remove those bolts, you can slide the axle shaft out without removing the wheel or even jacking the vehicle.
                            i ran across a pair of axles off a 93 Dodge cummins front is dana 60 Kingpin rear is dana 70 asking prices for both is $500.00 can i use them to swapp out my axles? or does the axles have to be Ford only??

Comment

• JeepMods
                              327 Rambler
                              • Jul 08, 2009

Watch out when yanking 60's from the yards... What looks like a FF D60... might end up being a D61... remove the cover and check the gear ratio. if it has 3.07 gears chances are it's a D61...

Dana 61 pro's and con's:

Pro's:
                              Thicker housing
                              Bigger tubes (3.5")
                              Awesome ground clearance as they're almost flat
                              Uses the same axles as the D60
                              Can be upgraded to 35 splines

Con's:
                              Gearing limitations... in-order to run the standard 60 gears you'll need a series 3 carrier, a spacer and the thick gear sets...

I think some D61's might have the 4.10's as-well... I haven't seen any in person though... only the 3.07's...

Comment

Working...
                              X