• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

anyone here rebuilt a NP231 before?

I just simply dont want to replace the chain and seals, i have had this rig 30 years and i want it to last 20 more

what else besides the bearing kit? im not interested in beefier parts or output shaft mods
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

If you get a master rebuild kit and the chain that should replace pretty much any wear item in the case.

aa
    1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Tripwire
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jul 30, 2000

where do i get a inclusive kit? i have been looking for one, but only find seal sets, bearing sets, gears, and chain individually
      Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

This is where I was planning to get the stuff for my NP241:

That's the master kit for the baby Jeep NP231, the chain is also listed on that page.

National Drivetrain might be another place, I don't see a full kit listed directly but I'm sure a quick phone call could get you the info you need:

Easily find parts for ring and pinion gears, differentials, axle shafts, manual transmission parts, and transfer case parts, using our easy eCatalog. With several distributions most gears and parts are only a day or two away.

I'm sure there are others as well. Maybe Novak and/or Advance Adapters? I got my D300 kit from Novak, and it had everything.

Edit: master kit from Novak: https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/...s/np-231-parts

aa
        1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Tripwire
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jul 30, 2000

thanks !

Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

Trip, you may get more response on https://www.naxja.org/forum/ They focus on XJ's
            joe
            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jul 18, 2003

I have rebuilt two. Just for the piece of mind, because they are not very expensive, I replaced the oil pumps on both. I considered it cheap insurance.
              I actually bought my rebuild kits off ebay. They came with koyo and nachi bearings, which is what came in them from the factory.
              79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
              Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
              93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• Tripwire
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jul 30, 2000

thanks, you would not happen to still have the links to the vendors? i dont want to get ripped off with junk made in some country that doing it to china like they are doing it to us
                Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

Comment

• joe
                  • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by Tripwire
                  thanks, you would not happen to still have the links to the vendors? i dont want to get ripped off with junk made in some country that doing it to china like they are doing it to us
                  Trip, haven't done a 231 but have done a 208 and a D20 with Novak's parts/kits. No idea of orig manufacturing source... but it was quality stuff. Everything fit/went together as it should and held up well. I would use them again.
                  joe
                  "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jul 18, 2003

Originally posted by Tripwire
                    It has been several years ago, but I think it was trans parts warehouse.
                    Transpartswarehouse.com your home for automatic and standard transmission parts.

They also have a ebay store under the same name. You might email them to ask what bearings they use, as you never know, things can change over the years. KOYO and NACHI are the bearings I pulled out of every factory NP231 I have torn down, and it was also what I put back in them.
                    79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                    Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                    93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

Trip- might give Randy's R&P a call. They might get into kits and would be more or less local for you,
                      Art
                      ASE Master Collision Tech
                      "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

I used to get mine from SeaTac Parts warehouse by the airport.
                        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                        X