• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SD_RED
    232 I6
    • Sep 03, 2011

oil line to mechanical pressure guage

So, the Stewart warner mechanical guage set I bought comes with a plastic line to run from the oil pressure fitting to the guage. It's identical to the tiny plastic tubing you would run from the intake to a boost/vacum guage. Most of the mechanical guages I've heard of use a copper line for the oil pressure guage.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever installed one with this type of plastic line and what their experience was. It seems to me it might be more resistant to the kind of kinks and pinhole leaks/cracking that the copper lines are prone to, but on the other hand, keeping it routed away from the exhaust mani's would be a greater concern.

Thoughts?
    '81 Wagoneer Limited. -Just getting started.
  • addicted
    Big Meanie
    • Dec 11, 2004

Run the copper tube unless you like oil leaks. You can buy tubing kits at most parts stores.
    Originally posted by Ristow
    i bet it was Simon....
    he's such big meanie that way...
    please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

I have used both the plastic line (Stewart-Warner kit) and copper. The plastic line was fine, but I ran its entire length inside vacuum tubing, to protect it. I would not trust the naked plastic tubing - too vulnerable. And keep it away from the hot exhaust manifolds.
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• SD_RED
        232 I6
        • Sep 03, 2011

Originally posted by tgreese
        I have used both the plastic line (Stewart-Warner kit) and copper. The plastic line was fine, but I ran its entire length inside vacuum tubing, to protect it. I would not trust the naked plastic tubing - too vulnerable. And keep it away from the hot exhaust manifolds.
        Yeah I was thinking of running in inside of the same kind of heat shielding you use for wiring and zip-tying it to the new wire harness since a leg of it runs right down there by the alternator.

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

Use copper tube. Just make sure you've got a couple loops coiled into it especially at the gauge end. The loops will absorb vibrations. If not the copper will eventually work harden and crack at the fittings.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• tgreese
            • May 29, 2003

BTW my latest Autometer OP gauge came with a plastic line, which I could not get to seal. Threw it away and bought their copper line kit. I added a stress loop, as suggested.

But the S-W plastic tube kit worked well.
            Tim Reese
            Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
            Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
            Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
            GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
            ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• SD_RED
              232 I6
              • Sep 03, 2011

So the overwhelming consensus is copper. Copper it is then. Thanks guys!

Comment

• Rich88
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by tgreese
                X2. I used the plastic tubing provided and inserted into cable spiral wrap mentioned in another post.

Don't know how well the copper one lasted because I sold it a year afterwards. But yes, use anti-stress loops in strategic areas.
                Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
                88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
                "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• Herk
                  350 Buick
                  • Jun 12, 2006

The plastic lines typically have a larger inner diameter, and will allow the gauge to fluctuate or "move" more, responding more quickly and accurately to actual engine oil pressure.

If you like to watch this sort of thing, you'll find the plastic line more entertaining. If you generally look out the windshield while you drive, you'll notice little difference.

I've had both types over the years, and had both leak.
                  There are 2 rules to success in life...
                  Rule #1: Don't tell people everything you know.

1971 J-4700/Buick 350 Stage 1/TH400/D20/D44/D60/Koenig PTO Winch
                  2005 LJ Rubicon Pretty close to stock

Comment

• KJ Ryu
                    350 Buick
                    • Sep 06, 2008

My J10 came with one of those when I bought it. The gauge filled with oil, leaked, and almost caught my Jeep on fire. I have an electric sender, now. No oil through the firewall.
                    Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled.
                    1977 J10, 2v304, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly Occasional driving!
                    1978 SJ Wagoneer, 360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall NOT Running
                    1977 J10 4v401, TH400, BW1339, mostly stock DD

Originally posted by Mars
                    One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil

Comment

• REDONE
                      304 AMC
                      • Aug 19, 2002

Originally posted by Herk
                      The plastic lines typically have a larger inner diameter, and will allow the gauge to fluctuate or "move" more, responding more quickly and accurately to actual engine oil pressure.

If you like to watch this sort of thing, you'll find the plastic line more entertaining. If you generally look out the windshield while you drive, you'll notice little difference.

I've had both types over the years, and had both leak.
                      Yup! I currently have copper up to the firewall, then a union with nylon to the gauge. Neither leak...yet.
                      2012 Winner of the Prestigious Ouray Cast Iron Butt Award
                      79 J-10 - The Money Badger!
                      304/T18/D20/D44s
                      What's been did:
                      Holley 4160/Ede' S.P.2.P.
                      MSD Streetfire based TFI
                      Custom-hack gauge cluster
                      Razor swap
                      Fancy exhaust (Thrush Muffler)
                      2 knob tape deck!
                      3" homebuilt lift
                      Half a hillbilly paint job

Comment

• autogatto
                        258 I6
                        • Apr 24, 2009

Interesting topic. I've been running autometer gauges with plastic line on 4 different CJs (2 used for heavy offroad activities) and never had any sort of leakage, not even a drip.
                        Where do you guys have they leaks from?
                        A few jeeps

Comment

Originally posted by autogatto
                          Interesting topic. I've been running autometer gauges with plastic line on 4 different CJs (2 used for heavy offroad activities) and never had any sort of leakage, not even a drip.
                          Where do you guys have they leaks from?
                          x2 i have run both and never had a leak except when the plastic fell on the manifold.like has been said if running copper put some loops in it like whats on the brake lines at the master to absorb vibrations.
                          85 gw 215k and still going
                          castrated(de-wooded)360 2" espo springs 31x10.5
                          89 gw,free,almost legal

She can dance a Cajun rhythm,Jump like a Willys in four wheel drive,

the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams

"Our militarized "law enforcement" has become the standing army our founders feared"

Comment

Originally posted by KJ Ryu
                            My J10 came with one of those when I bought it. The gauge filled with oil, leaked, and almost caught my Jeep on fire. I have an electric sender, now. No oil through the firewall.
                            electrics will never be as acurate imo.how did an oil leak in the cab almost start a fire?btw thats a sure sighn of a cheap gauge.
                            85 gw 215k and still going
                            castrated(de-wooded)360 2" espo springs 31x10.5
                            89 gw,free,almost legal

She can dance a Cajun rhythm,Jump like a Willys in four wheel drive,

the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams

"Our militarized "law enforcement" has become the standing army our founders feared"

Comment

• SD_RED
                              232 I6
                              • Sep 03, 2011

Originally posted by talntar
                              x2 i have run both and never had a leak except when the plastic fell on the manifold.like has been said if running copper put some loops in it like whats on the brake lines at the master to absorb vibrations.
                              Well now I am seeing a lot more support for the plastic lines.

I am curious now:
                              who has had the plastic lines actually leak now?
                              What brand?
                              How did you route the line?
                              Where did the leak occur?

Same ?'s to those who have had a copper line leak.

It's starting to sound like the greater variable is method of use, rather than copper vs. plastic.

Comment

Working...
                              X