X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HARDCORE pacer
    350 Buick
    • Feb 07, 2005

I agree with crazy jeepman no point in doing a whole rebuild when it may just be one rod.
    78 pacer on 75 chero frame thats shortened 10\" and shackle reversal, D60 front with spool,14ff with detroit locker 4.56s in both,500 hp/500 ftlb torque 401,built 727,208 to divorced 205 doubler,on 46x21 ag tires
    78 cj 360, 3spd, scout 44s with detroits SOAed with 36"tsl and beadlocks

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

I picked the local shop, but you could do it yourself depending on how much you trust your work, how much time you have, and whether you like to do this sort of thing.

If it's one rod bearing, you could fix it up without a complete tear-down ... With a cast crank I think you may as well do a complete disassembly. I'd clean and inspect everything, unless I was really pressed for time (I enjoy engine work, so it would be no great hardship for me).
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• drlocke
        Roadside Mechanic
        • Dec 29, 2003

I voted DIY. Maybe the spot repair as Crazy_Jeepman suggests. You won't know how bad the involved crank pin got chewed until you drop the pan and pull the bearing caps and look.

That's assuming it's a bearing a-tall. I'm not quite sold on that it is.

Did the engine lose power because of excessive drag on it? Is it unusually hard to turn withe a breaker bar with the sparkplugs removed?

Something tells me you should do a thorough examination, pull the other head and check all cylinder walls for signs of scoring, etc. A ring could've broken and made a lot of noise and then settled back in place. If it was an oil control ring that did it you would not necessarily lose compression.

Except possibly for the "bouncing" gauge I can't blame a bearing based strictly on the info provided.
        Last edited by drlocke; 12-17-2006, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• jeepsr4ever
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Dec 28, 2002

I say if you have the experience you can have machine shops do the tough stuff and you can put it together saving hundreds. If not then definately have a shop rebuild the motor.
          AMC/Jeep Forum
          Custom machined AMC/4X4/Race Parts...www.Bulltear.com
          ///
          "We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"

Comment

• crispyboy
            304 AMC
            • May 14, 2002

When my truck engine needed rebuilding I opted for a local motor shop. I sought one out that had AMC experience. I probably would have done it myself but I know that there is a lot more to it than slamming some parts together. Maybe if I had someone to hold my hand through the experience but then again I was burned by a 2.8 litre engine in my Ford Ranger years ago. I opted for quick DIY rebuild. Thought I did a good job but I missed a major component. The bolts that hold that crankshaft bearings in place were stretch bolts - I did not know this and had a lot of oil pressure problems. The rebuild cost me at least as much if not more by the time I was completed.
            Some jobs I am happy leaving to the pro's though with the right kind of help and tools I'm sure I could accomplish the job.
            Steve<br />1986 J-20 360 cid/auto, trac-loc, custom efis tbi, flowkooler, aluminum cross flow radiator, rhino-liner, working AC. <br />1990 GW trac-loc, Engle cam and aluminum cross flow radiator.
            <br /><br />\"The best Jeeps came from the past when gay meant you were happy and Aids was an appetite suppressant"

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
              304 AMC
              • May 01, 2004

So far it's 14/10/8. That is a pretty good mix. Thanks, and keep um coming.
              I am bringing it to the house tomorrow. Hope to pull the engine over the new years holiday and get an idea of what I am looking at.

I do have the GM service manuals and a book on rebuilding the LT1.
              As 13lftmfsj mentions, I do have some concern about getting something gapped wrong or set up incorrectly. But then again, I know an internal combustion engine is far simpler than some of the equipment I have worked on in the past..

I have read online reviews that rave about the Jasper or some other engine they bought, and then the exact opposite from others.

Warranty may not factor in. I checked with Jasper. Their warranty calls for an OEM application without "modifications". WELLL, Wrapping a FSJ around the engine/tranny, headers, free-flow exhaust, ECM reflash, cone filter intake, oh..and the whole 4x4 application for an engine made for a sedan..would pretty much void any implied warranty.
              At least the machine shop knows what the engine is in and the guarantee would be the same.

Now, Golen (click here) makes a few nice options that I would not hesitate to use, if $$ was free flowing.. 8^)
              One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
              http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
              95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
              50 CJ3A
              77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• Rogue
                360 AMC
                • Nov 17, 2001

good point, with the amount of people who have a hard enough time just getting the thing to fire because they can't get the dizzy timed right.... makes it kinda hard to break it in

if you really need that warm fuzzy warranty feeling an option you didn't list in your poll, buy a shortblock swap your heads, intake etc etc makes it an easy one weekend job
                Jeff - 74 Cherokee S 401/400/QT - basically stock

Comment

• funwheeling
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 21, 2004

If you feel comfort doing it yourself do it. It is a lot of fun and you'll have new respect for it as well. The plus side is that you will need to get new tools as well.
                  1991 Grand Wag "The Phoenix!" IS back from the ashes!!!
                  My Yahoo
                  BJ's 6" lift
                  Holley Truck Avenger 670CFM
                  Mickey Thompson Wheels
                  Dick Cepeck FC-II
                  Killer 32 Nurf Bars
                  Comp Cam 260H
                  MSD Distributor, Coil and Controller
                  Edlebrock Headers
                  Dual Exhaust 2 Flowmaster 50's

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
                    304 AMC
                    • May 01, 2004

It was worth a shot, but...

...the rebuild is out. I pulled the engine over new years weekend. Got it onto the engine stand and started disassembling. The 3 inner main bearings and 4 of the rod bearings are spun. There are actual grooves worn into the crank. a couple of the wrist pins are wobbly. metal shavings everywhere.

Machine shop looked it over and highly recommended I find another block. magnaflux ok, but there are grooves in the main saddles. They could do the line (or align) boring but both recommended that I get a different block to start with.

SO, I am starting a new poll on which remanufactured engine company to go with..
                    Last edited by JPSwapMohn; 01-09-2007, 07:28 PM.
                    One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
                    http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
                    95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
                    50 CJ3A
                    77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• nw_upstart
                      232 I6
                      • May 25, 2006

Originally posted by FSJ Thing
                      Rebuilding it yourself is the only way to really know what's in there. Second choice is to have a machine shop do it, but watch them and stop in every day to see the progress, ask random questions and check the work.

I did the second on a Chrysler 360 I had build a few years ago and still got burned though. They didn't break in the cam, and when I went to take it back, the building they were in was up for lease.

Just my $0.02

Did it happen to be the machine shop on State St. in Marysville?
                      Meg - 1979 Cherokee WT, 360(Freshly built- upgraded most everything in it)/T18/D20, 3" lift, 33x12.5 BFG All-Terrain KO T/A, D44/D44 Detroit TrueTrac

1976 Cherokee Chief - 360/TH400
                      1978 Cherokee WT - 360/TH400
                      1985 AMC Eagle 4x4 stationwagon

Comment

• Eugene 1
                        304 AMC
                        • Feb 04, 2006

Jasper is good..a buddy of mine runs a 351 from them and loves it ! no probs or leaks
                        JEEP
                        2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

• Am4wag
                          327 Rambler
                          • Oct 04, 2004

Rebuilds are as only as good as the machine work and materials used.The big assembly type rebuilders will use anything to obtain clearances/tolerences...and the red tape involved if you must make a claim is a mile long.
                          88GW,360,3 angled valves,K8600,1406,TFI,MSD,727,<br />Hurst,NP229.D44\'s,3:31\'s,BJ\'s 4in.,31in.Generals,ProComp alloys.S-10 box,"Swissed" rockers"

Comment

• FSJ Thing
                            Propane Protagonist
                            • Aug 25, 2002

Originally posted by nw_upstart
                            Did it happen to be the machine shop on State St. in Marysville?
                            Naw, that was 4 or 5 years ago on the other side of the 'Sound. I saw that shop you were talking about though, the blueish grey building. I found a good machine shop at the CarQuest off Everett Ave though. Milled my stud bosses and jet washed a TH400 housing all for $80!
                            The Cherowagladabego Project. Updates coming as soon as I do something update worthy.

Bring back Junk Yard Genius! he may have peed in some of your cornflakes, but everything he told me was helpful!

Comment

• gump
                              232 I6
                              • Jun 11, 2006

I say Rebiuld it.
                              The Black Beast
                              69' J-3000
                              Buick 350, T-18 Tranny, Dana 20 Transfer case

Comment

• Duke(Gwag)
                                232 I6
                                • Jan 14, 2007

Worth the extra cash brand, new block with profomance kit. about 1,800 for block 650 for kit.
                                DUKE ()

Comment

Working...
                                X