X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Towtruck
    350 Buick
    • Oct 11, 2001

Yes, I did the body channel. No, I did not do a specific "how to" thread, but I have answered questions along the way. No there are not changes to basic cab dimensions...leg room, for example. The cab sheet metal is untouched.

Here are the basics... Remove the outer facia panel (the one with the grill and lights), remove the doors, remove the fenders, remove the radiator, remove the inner facia/valance (whatever it's called....the one with the radiator support brackets). Do not remove the hood. Cut out the spot welds holding the vertical "posts" to the inner facia panel. Attach clamps in place of the welds and reinstall the post/facia assembly. (You're eventually going to adjust the height of that panel (lower) on the posts such that hood will still close while clearing the air cleaner). But you can't do that until you have the cab/body roughly where you want it. So, place jacks at the corners of the cab or body for the SUV, and remove the rubber donuts. Now start lowering and adjusting the rake angle with the jacks. Set an angle and lower the hood. Keep adjusting the cab angle in combination with that forward facia/valence/cross piece (where the hood latches are located) until the hood to air cleaner clearance is adequate and the hood cab angle lines up). At some point the posts will be sticking up and hinder hood closure, and the inner fenders will contact the frame rails. Trim accordingly. Note that the radiator cap is also going to hinder hood closure....so when you think you have the air cleaner housing clearance set, clamp the radiator to the posts. It will have to be located lower. Interference with the steering box is the limiting factor for the radiator. I should note that if you get to very high rake angles the radiator will have to be tilted rearward at the top to clear an under hood cross brace. ...easy to accomplish with spacers.

Again, there no modifications to the floor panels on my truck. The front donuts under the cab are completely removed and replaced with thin nylon washers to eliminate metal to metal contact. The rear donuts are about 1/2-3/4" thick. The lower sheet metal on the rear of the cab clears the frame rails by about 1/2". Very close. I did have to "persuade" the passenger side exhaust heat shield (not the floor boards) just a bit (maybe 1/2") during the last lowering evolution because it was contacting the frame. Absolutely no cutting or bending of the basic cab sheet metal. The floor clears the T-18 and the transfer case by about an inch. The only other adjustment was for the clutch release mechanism (no cutting, grinding or welding).

When everything is where you want it, either weld, or drill holes and bolt the inner facia and radiator to their new locations on the (shortened) posts.

For my pickup, the bed mounts/shims didn't change all that much...shimmed just enough to align the angle with what I did to the cab. By the way, it's difficult to detect, but the cab now sits lower relative to the bed....same angles, but at different heights. I think it looks better with the cab sitting lower on the frame because the geeky tall cab appears to be shorter...sort of an illusion...better balance for the overall assemblage...easier than chopping the top. That said, the bed looks easy to lower a bit if you're willing to cut and reweld the forward support leg/platform. I don't have much space because of the 3/4" steel plate for the goose neck ball.

I can provide measurements of where the radiator and the inner valance are now located on the support posts if anyone is interested. But it's for a step side pick up with 360 /Edelbrock Performer manifold/T18/208. The extent of what can be achieved with another combination will likely vary, although I'd think a short bed fleet side pickup would be similar to my step side. To get it any lower would require suspension changes. I think I could get away with a 1" block at the front and still have adequate pumpkin/oil pan clearance for a street truck (not so safe, but I've seen it done). The rear could be dropped by raising the forward spring mount in combination with a slightly longer shackle. Maybe 1" max. Going up is much easier than lowering.

The goose neck plate is still welded to the frame, and the hole in the bed floor for the screw-on ball is still there. I have a piece of corrugated floor and will fabricate a snug fitting blanking plate for the hole. Support tabs for the plate were welded onto the bed before painting. I've thought about removing that hitch bracket under the roll pan and welding a receiver hitch behind the horizontal frame "C" beam . Punch a square hole through the license plate area of the roll pan and the frame beam. Then weld the receiver box into the frame with some extra structural bracing. Remove the license plate to stick the ball/bar into the square receiver hole. Mount the license plate to the tailgate with magnets when towing.

Yes, the truck looked nasty when that epoxy started to fail from UV. I decided to take it to the blaster when surface rust began to appear on the hood and roof. A lot of work and expense, but I hated to see it beginning to seriously deteriorate.
    Last edited by Towtruck; 10-24-2019, 01:42 PM.
    J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• Towtruck
      350 Buick
      • Oct 11, 2001

I started on the interior today. Found the AC evaporator...but one adjustable cold air vent is missing and another is broken. It was last installed about 15 years ago. If anyone has those vents to sell or has a lead, I'd appreciate it. (I placed an ad in the Wanted Section).

The headliner card is toast...38 years isn't bad. Bought one from BJs rather than trying to make one. $230 upholstered, free shipping.

Once I have those parts the reassembly should only take a few days. I'm thinking of fabricating a hinged bed cover to finish it off. A 4x8 sheet of marine Nidacore should work...very stiff and light. I have a pair of trunk hinges off an old Bitter SC that I saved for this purpose.
      Last edited by Towtruck; 10-26-2019, 04:43 PM.
      J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• Towtruck
        350 Buick
        • Oct 11, 2001

I found all of the AC parts a few days ago and cleaned, primed and painted with the special coating recommended for vinyl and plastic. When I tried to fit the evaporator it was blocked by some sheet metal behind the right half of the dash. Recall that I had fabricated a custom dash with the right half being from an early truck. So I had to trim sheet metal behind the dash in a couple of places, and also drill new mounting holes along the lower edge since the early donor truck never had AC. Minor stuff. It now fits perfectly. Good thing I transferred the right side defroster vent to the old dash section as the AC would have never fit.

Today I located all of the wires that power the heater and AC fans, and the AC clutch. I still need to flush the (134A compatible) hoses and components before hooking it up. But before taking that step, I checked the heater controls for proper operation. Discovered that the flapper cable for the temperature control lever on the heater panel is seized, and the vacuum hoses on the push button controls are rotten. Best approach for the repairs was to remove the instrument cluster for access. It will also be cleaned up, detailed, and checked for burned out bulbs before reinstallation. The heater cable is currently soaking in a bath of Evaporust to see if it can be salvaged. If I can free it up, I'll lube it with Boeshield T9 and reinstall....otherwise a new cable. By the way, the truck starts and runs fine without the dash if you connect the two ammeter wires together.

Need to paint that steering wheel hub. Still waiting on the head liner from BJs...no hurry, actually.

DSCN1854 by Rufus, on Flickr
        DSCN1858 by Rufus, on Flickr
        DSCN1857 by Rufus, on Flickr
        Last edited by Towtruck; 11-04-2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• Towtruck
          350 Buick
          • Oct 11, 2001

Yesterday I checked all the bulbs in the instrument panel (replaced one burn out). Cleaned the printed circuit board and verified that the back lighting is functioning correctly. That LED converter/driver came in handy as a 12V power source for the testing. One of the bezels had come loose from the shroud, so I glue that back in place. The panel is now ready to reinstall after the AC system goes in. By the way, the Evaporust soak for the stuck heater cable worked like a champ...operates like new.

Today I cleaned/flushed the evaporator, condenser, and hoses. The radiator had to come out to remove the condenser. I was going to try flushing it in the vehicle, but decided the riser on the bottom fitting would make it difficult to get the cleaning fluid removed, even with a compressed air blow. Anyway, all the items were pretty clean to begin with. Looked like a little old oil came out in the flush...no solids...good news. I used two cans of the flush fluid (spray can with a built-in applicator hose). Blew it out with dry compressed air and left parts in sun to dry. I'll blow everything out again in the morning. The vacuum suck down should take care of any residual moisture. As it turned out, the radiator had to be removed to get at the mounting screws for the new accumulator/drier anyway, so pulling the radiator and condenser made sense for that reason.

Tomorrow I'll change the oil in the compressor since it's been dormant for over a decade. It spins freely, and seems to have suction, so I'm hoping I won't need a new one. (This one was changed out back when I did the 134 conversion). After the oil change I'll start putting it all back together. If it goes well, I might have time to evacuate the system and charge it up.

DSCN1859 by Rufus, on Flickr
          DSCN1864 by Rufus, on Flickr

Comment

• Towtruck
            350 Buick
            • Oct 11, 2001

Changed the oil in the compressor by sucking the old out with a syringe. Condenser, accumulator, and radiator are installed (new bottom radiator hose and new antifreeze). Held off on the evaporator because it was still dripping flush fluid....dammit The can says it's fast evaporating...it's not. I'll finish assembly tomorrow and at least get it evacuated...might be too cold to charge it.

Comment

• SJTD
              304 AMC
              • Apr 26, 2012

I'd hook up the air hose to the condenser and leave a slow purge on it for a while. Maybe use a heat gun on it or a flood light with a 100W bulb up close.
              Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                350 Buick
                • Feb 15, 2010

Just leave the vacuum pump on the system for 30-60 minutes, this will pull all the moisture out of the system.

Comment

• Towtruck
                  350 Buick
                  • Oct 11, 2001

Thanks, Gents. That Arctic air mass slammed into North Texas this morning, so I just put the evaporator in an upstairs bedroom for a few days. I think it will be dry by the time it warms up around here, but as suggested, I'll leave it on the vacuum pump for an extended period.

I have a hypothetic question, though. Let's say I finish reassembly, pull the system down with the vacuum pump....and then that long dormant compressor turns out to be dead, or near dead when I release freon into the system? What do I do then? Could I somehow lock in the Freon that I had released into the system? Or maybe better yet is there a way to check the pumping condition of the currently installed compressor before I finish hooking up the hoses? As I said, I have a gage set and an electric vacuum pump. Thanks

Comment

• SJTD
                    304 AMC
                    • Apr 26, 2012

I suppose you could put a gauge on the outlet and run it. Could go higher than 300 psi I think.

Like I said above, if you have the original service valves on it you can isolate it from the system to remove it without loosing the charge if it turns out to be ded. The book has the procedure.
                    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Towtruck
                      350 Buick
                      • Oct 11, 2001

Had a family emergency last week, so I'm a little behind schedule. Back at it yesterday. Installed all of the AC components...worst part is hooking up the hoses to the evaporator as it's so close to the firewall. This morning I hooked up the wiring for the evaporator fan and the compressor clutch. Had trouble getting the fan to work without jumping it. Turned out the AC switch was inop. Terminals were all corroded after sitting on the shelf for a decade. Finally got the mid-speed setting to work, so then I could test the compressor clutch function in conjunction with the overall system. It works fine and the compressor spins freely. So tomorrow I'll hook up the gages to see if it's pumping. Fingers crossed that I won't have to replace it. If it works, I'll pull a vacuum for about an hour and then add Freon. (Might be the last warm day for a couple of months). By the way, has anyone successfully dismantled the evaporator fan switch and cleaned it up, or should I just buy a new one? It's the kind of switch with the resister function built in, as opposed to a remote resister block (like it shows in the wiring diagrams).

Once I'm past this AC business it's all downhill. I'll put the interior back together...the new headliner arrived from BJs last week...looks nice. Then it's odds and ends...heater hoses, repaint the side pipes, polish the wheels, give it a good wash, dig out the spares...and put it up for sale. Given the amount of money and time invested, I probably should have sold it a year ago. I'll run it around the local car show circuit in the interim....see if it generates any interest among the C10/F100 crowd.
                      Last edited by Towtruck; 11-25-2019, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• bkilby
                        350 Buick
                        • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by Towtruck
                        By the way, has anyone successfully dismantled the evaporator fan switch and cleaned it up, or should I just buy a new one? It's the kind of switch with the resister function built in, as opposed to a remote resister block (like it shows in the wiring diagrams).

Not me but I need to. Mine only works on high. If you end up buying one, please post where you got it because I might need one too. Lol.
                        1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• Towtruck
                          350 Buick
                          • Oct 11, 2001

I searched all over the internet and couldn't find an exact match for the evaporator switch. There are plenty of switches, but I think most of them use an external resister block which would take some wiring modifications to make it work. Interesting that the manuals do show a remote resister block... I actually got a lower speed working today by spraying electrical cleaner around on the switch innards and working the knob back and forth.

Anyway, the system is charged after wasting an hour running back and forth to the auto parts store to get the latest and greatest adapter for the self sealing 134a Freon cans. That makes five adapters in my AC drawer. The vacuum pump easily ran a total of an hour and a half during all the back and forth, so the system is definitely free of moisture. I did conduct a leak down check in between and it seems to be holding vacuum. Big thing is the compressor works.

I looked at both the charging procedure suggested on Ol' Tom's Jeep website and the one in the shop manual. Same procedure, but Ol' Tom says use two "cans" (24 Oz total), and the Jeep shop manual says the system holds about 2.2 pounds (approximately 35 oz.) Maybe the can sizes have changed since Tom penned his procedure. That said, the gages showed the correct mid-range readings (for 75 degrees air temperature) with just the two 12 oz cans, so I stopped there. It blows cold from the vents, but then it's only 75 degrees ambient. No matter, I'll add a third can if necessary when it warms up.

Installed the fender and side skirt braces for the bed and polished the front grill. Interior reassembly is next. Turns colder tomorrow.

Comment

• Towtruck
                            350 Buick
                            • Oct 11, 2001

Back at it. Installed the instrument cluster yesterday and the headliner today.

Painted the "chrome" edging around the cluster and polished the three lenses. Rechecked all the bulbs and ran new vacuum hoses for the heater where needed. Installation is facilitated by loosening the bolts on the steering column, which makes room for maneuvering the cluster into position. Still a pain in the neck, especially attaching the cable for the heater flap. But it's in and everything is operational....first time in a decade that the heater fan has been hooked up. Still need to purchase defroster hoses, but access is good through the glove box opening. I also polished the bezel around the right side dash opening. Will install the screen/mesh later when I'm through installing the defroster hoses. So, the dash is pretty much finished.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the BJs headliner is a very nice piece of work and it comes with enough extra material to recover the sun visors. For $210 delivered I wouldn't attempt to fabricated one myself. I did, however, add a sheet of Mylar to the top side to mitigate radiant heat deterioration of the foam and glue...Texas sun, black paint. The last one went 38 years, but it wasn't fabric covered. The photo shows the Mylar for the middle section. I also covered the "wings". The headliner fits perfectly. Unfortunately the 38 year old plastic interior light virtually disintegrated when I tried to work it through the opening in the liner. Another pre-sale expense.

And speaking of sale....I settled on a sell price of $16K. If nobody on the site wants it at that price, it goes "public".....maybe Bring a Trailer....maybe Streetside or Gateway. They'll add on their 12.5% or more (I've spoken with them and they want a shot at it). If I can't get the "sell" price, I'll keep it.

Interior should be finished by Monday. Wheels, side pipes and engine compartment clean up and exterior wash next week. The end.

DSCN1873 by Rufus, on Flickr
                            DSCN1869 by Rufus, on Flickr
                            DSCN1868 by Rufus, on Flickr
                            DSCN1870 by Rufus, on Flickr
                            DSCN1878 by Rufus, on Flickr
                            Last edited by Towtruck; 12-06-2019, 04:52 PM.

Comment

• Towtruck
                              350 Buick
                              • Oct 11, 2001

Exhaust pipes/mufflers are sanded to bare metal and treated with Metal Prep to address any microscopic rust. The truck body is masked in that area and the pipes will be painted with VHT (hi temp) ceramic paint tomorrow when it warms up a bit. I'll follow the paint manufacturer instructions to cure the paint via three heating cycles...two at idle and then a longer run at cruise speed to get them hot. Durability should be good.

I also located the factory center armrest and disassembled/prepped it for a dye job tomorrow. It's in nice condition as it's been on the shelf for decades.

A new dome light to replace the one I broke while installing the headliner, and the new ducting for the defroster vents are on order Also purchased a longer speedometer cable that bypasses the cruise control system, which has been inop since I installed the Edelbrock carb.

Wheel polishing is also on the agenda for tomorrow.
                              Last edited by Towtruck; 12-07-2019, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                                360 AMC
                                • Oct 02, 2002

Wow, looking really good. Sorry to see you are selling it, also sorry I can't buy it. But someone is going to get a very nice ride. Thanks for posting all your work. That goes to each and every build thread. It makes for great reading and sure beats reading the news by miles.
                                Melford1972 says...
                                I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                                -----------------------
                                I make wag parts
                                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                                1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                                1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                                1968 M715 restomod
                                2001 Dodge 3500
                                2002 Toyota Tundra
                                2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                                Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

Working...
                                X