• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Elliott
    Cowboy Up
    • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by rreed
    I will never begin to understand people who swear up and down an engine will not start and run unless it's fuel injected. I will never begin to understand this mind set; to each his own and be happy w/ it.

Every carb has to be dialed in and tuned to each engine. FI also has to match its engine. Some have inherent issues like Ristow indicated, some are great, some are not. Different carb makes and models tend to be application-specific. Some carbs can even do as well as fuel injected engines when you get to the point of incline that starves the oil sump or lays the vehicle on its side/front/rear. My q-jet topped CJ will run on its doors, sitting on the tailgate, or w/ the hood latch nearly touching the ground. I've watched MC2100 vehicles follow FI monsters up waterfalls, idling and bumbling along like a FI vehicle does sitting in the driveway. My buddy has laid his CJ on its doors and tailgate more times than I can count while the Weber ran just fine.

I have a 4350 that's also virgin. It came off a '76 J20 ambulance that had never been molested, aside from dust from sitting there was no sign anyone had put a wrench or screwdriver under the hood. It was removed running fine so I could swap out for a more familiar and better performing Edelbrock 1405, where the motor and carb hurl my truck down the road w/ gusto every day. Holleys are better performers and infinitely more tunable than Edelbrocks but I think the setup/tuning of Edelbrocks is easier. I'm not building a race car. Q-jets are know as "poor man's fuel injection" around my parts for good reason. Worst performer but will darn near run upside down.

To each his own and he happy but much like FI that wasn't born on a given engine you can't just plop down a carb, bump the starter, throw up your hands, and scream it's a POS w/o spending a moment or two tuning and dialing it in. Don't complain an Edelbrock won't run upside down or that a q-jet falls on its face or that an antique 4350 pours more fuel down the outside of the motor than it does the inside. We do this stuff because we like to, not because we have to. Do some homework, have a seasoned veteran help you, or perhaps maybe FI is the way to go for you if you like.
    Yep, as one who's tuned triple and dual carb setups... FI sucks I've dialed in triple carbs in less than 20"... ask someone how long it takes to dial in a Holley projection
    *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
    ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Lindel
      Perfesser of Jeepology
      • Jun 15, 2000

Technically, the engine sucks...the carb meters.
      Jeep Grounds
      RRV Homepage
      Texas Full Size Jeep Association
      1987 Grand Wagoneer
      AMC 360/TF727/NP229
      1999 Wrangler Sport
      4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• scantar
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jul 16, 2005

If you are stuck somewhere with your f.i. down, your ride back is on the shoulders of a tow truck. Unless a carb is totally trashed you can always figure out a way to get gas and air into the cylinders with one. That said, this thread seems to be like the 401 vs 360 one, or the 6 cylinder vs 8 cylinder one, etc, etc, etc...

All I know is if I had a good 4350 core, I'd throw it in a box with a rebuild kit and a hunnerd dollar bill and send it to Ristow with a picture of my children and dog wearing their sad faces.
        '76 Waggy, TH400, Quadratrac and a fourOH!one Sold

My other car is a Viner Pro Team...no wait, my other car is a Masi Speciale...nonono, my other car is a Bianchi 928SL

Comment

• Dumpy
          304 AMC
          • Jan 30, 2009

I wrote a guy who I bought a remanufactured 2100 from and asked him is he wanted to take the 4350 as a core. His reply was basically a laugh and he said it was the worst carb Ferd every made and that it would make a great boat anchor. So, the plan is to use it for target practice when I pick up the wag from Tanker in a month or so I'll try to get it on video. Picked up a 2100 at my buddy's house tonight, so I'm gonna rebuilt it and put it on the waggy.
          Justin
          '72 J2000 360 4bbl T18 D20
          "It's all about the fun-per-gallon vs the miles-per-gallon"--Gamber68

Sponsored by Jake's Full-Size Jeep Junkyard

Comment

• DAHoyle
            350 Buick
            • Nov 25, 2005

Originally posted by scantar
            If you are stuck somewhere with your f.i. down, your ride back is on the shoulders of a tow truck. Unless a carb is totally trashed you can always figure out a way to get gas and air into the cylinders with one. That said, this thread seems to be like the 401 vs 360 one, or the 6 cylinder vs 8 cylinder one, etc, etc, etc...
            That is true, and it is totally untrue at the same time. I would say that 95% of fi failures, will not prevent you from driving the vehicle, since they all (OEM) have a limp home mode, that simply puts the vehicle is an open loop mode, and feeds the engine fuel based on a simple set of parameters. Certainly, there are failures, just like there are in any system. A bad fuel pump is a no go, but the same can be said for a carbureted engine. The more complex the system, the more there is to go wrong, but on a GM TBI engine, a large majority of the issues which get blamed on the TBI, are actually mechanical failures, and not electronic ones.
            67 M715
            Cummins 4BT/Allison 54/Ford203/Ford205,
            Front 89 HP60/Rear 81 GM D70HD
            Discs all around/ 12 bolt H1 Rims
            Build still very much in progress

78 Levi edition Honcho 360/T18/D20

Comment

• []V[]AXX
              350 Buick
              • Nov 10, 2009

If you think a Moto 4350 sux. You should try the "venerable" Carter BBD that came on most of our six bangers....

My Dad's 76 Pacer had the same carb. I hated it then too.

Comment

• Eric S.
                258 I6
                • Jun 02, 2002

Hey Dumpy, I don't know if you're interested in driving over to Marion, but I saw this on the local Craigslist today:

1989 Grand Wagoneer -- FOR SALE

Comment

• FSJunkie
                  The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                  • Jan 09, 2011

I built my 2100 from the best parts of two carburetors and adjusted it myself. That thing runs like it is fuel injected. Cold starts require about one second on the starter and warm starts as fast as you can flick that key. I don't tune a carb using the specs in the TSM. I tune it by ear, vacuum guage, smoothness, exhaust smell, and tachometer. In order to get a carb tuned like this you need to know what everything, and I mean everything does and how it does it inside the carburetor.
                  '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Dumpy
                    304 AMC
                    • Jan 30, 2009

Originally posted by Eric S.
                    Hey Dumpy, I don't know if you're interested in driving over to Marion, but I saw this on the local Craigslist today:

http://asheville.craigslist.org/pts/2172830634.html
                    Yeah, I wrote that guy, but I guess he didn't wanna sell because he never wrote back. Rebuilding my newly scored 2100 tomorrow. Throttle shaft is a tad loose, but not as bad as many others I have seen. If it gives me problems I'll shim it, but it is only loose in one certain sport throughout the throttle travel, so I'm not super worried...if anyone in the area wants to join in the carb demolition, let me know and i ll plan for a group trip up to Jakes maybe I'll fill it with gas first
                    Justin

Comment

• rreed
                      350 Buick
                      • Aug 21, 2006

Originally posted by FSJunkie
                      I don't tune a carb using the specs in the TSM. I tune it by ear, vacuum guage, smoothness, exhaust smell, and tachometer.
                      +1 And it works quite well.
                      47 Willys
                      75 CJ-5
                      81 Scrambler
                      76/79/80/81/85 J20 (all the same truck)
                      86 Grand Wagoneer - FOR SALE!!!
                      96 ZJ

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Comment

• 1jeep
                        232 I6
                        • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by badaboom
                        WOW, I say keep the carbs. Compared to the price of that kit if one carb last 20-30 years and is less then 300 bucks you could buy 5 carbs and be good from anywhere between 20 to 150 years!
                        1990 Grand Wagoneer
                        3in RC and 32in BFG's

Comment

• Dumpy
                          304 AMC
                          • Jan 30, 2009

no joke. Im going to start collecting 2100s as I find them, cleaning them up, and stashing them away for rebuild down the road, both for myself and those in need. Any donations???
                          Justin

Comment

Working...
                          X