• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davez26
    258 I6
    • Jan 27, 2002

WT & NT bumper difference?

I have one front bumper to many and it is off of a '79 NT. My potential buyer told me that a NT bumper won't fit on a WT. I thought that the difference was at the flares (concerning the sheetmetal), and the front of the fender made no difference. Right or Wrong?
    Dave N. --- 1979 Cherokee S NT. 360-Quadrajet/TH400/Quadratrac/D44x2 4.10\'s, ARB front,locrite rear, 35x12.50 BFG Mud-Terrains. Onboard Air,4\"Superlift,2\"body. Warn Winch. Slight body damage. <br />\"Born to Wheel\', Forced to Work.\"

I am under the same impression, I have never actualy tried to put a NT bumper on a WT rig. However the Flares are the only differance in the WT rigs. The frames are the same up front. I may have to go measure the actual bumper and get this question answered. I have also heard that the 3 Piece bumpers have a second set of holes to be spread out to accomadate WT rigs.....Never looked and makes no sense to me. Since the flares are set back from the front bumper and the wrap around of the bumper does not go into the flare area of either WT or NT rigs.
    Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
    Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• porkchop
      Master of B.S.
      • Apr 17, 2000

I also thought there was no difference. The second set of holes are there but what they are for is a mystery. I am waiting to hear these measurements.

Comment

• Gladi8r
        304 AMC
        • Jun 20, 2000

The difference starts at the stone guard(that lil piece at the bottom of the front fender). Where it flairs out is where the difference is. So indeed a NT bumper should fit on a WT. [img]smile.gif[/img] By the way, those stone guards are still available from the dealer and I have the part numbers for the right and left side
        DON <br /><a href=\"http://www.Gladi8r.com\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Website</b></a><br /><br />1988 GW 360<br />Edelbrock Intake & 1406<br />TF727/Dana 300<br /><br />1971 J-4500,Rhino Grille<br />A work in progress <br />Soon to be:<br />500 Caddy |Th400 | 205<br />DANA 44/60 (3:73)<br /><br /><b>\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little<br />temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.\" </b> Ben Franklin

Comment

• Panther
          350 Buick
          • Aug 13, 2000

NT bumper won't fit WT. The WT flare extends in the front to where the bumper is, making the bumper for a WT longer than a NT.

[ September 16, 2002, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Panther ]

Comment

• mdill
            Gone. Not Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2000

Jeep lists different front bumpers for wide track /pickups vs. narrow track/wagoneer.
            I don'e have two for a side by side to compaire.

Mike d.
            -----------------------------------------
            Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
            1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
            1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
            1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
            1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
            And the other stuff that gets driven
            ----------------------------------------

Comment

• PhilSine
              304 AMC
              • May 25, 2002

It's just as Panther says. But, for those of you who want the measurement here's what I got.

79" measured from end to end.
              I can neither define beauty nor obscenity but rather to state that I know them when I see them.

Comment

• Narnian
                350 Buick
                • Aug 02, 2000

I have a bumper for both. Ralph told me they are different though I have never measured them. If this is not settled in our minds I can go out and measure both tonight.
                1981 Cherokee Chief Laredo: 360 w/Holley Fuel Injection, Edelbrock manifold, NP219, 3.31, 33\'s, no fuzzy dice (yet)<br />1987 J20: Stock except for the gaudy red Durabak all over the exterior<br />1990 Corvette that get\'s driven anytime I don\'t need to haul a load or go offroad and the temperature is over 32F.

Comment

• bvibert
                  304 AMC
                  • Aug 12, 2002

I've measured both, they are different. Just like Panther said the flair extents foward to the bumper.
                  Brian
                  78 Cherokee S, 360, TH400/QT, 61K orig miles

Comment

• davez26
                    258 I6
                    • Jan 27, 2002

Cool. Well I guess I stand corrected. Thanks for all the help.
                    Dave N. --- 1979 Cherokee S NT. 360-Quadrajet/TH400/Quadratrac/D44x2 4.10\'s, ARB front,locrite rear, 35x12.50 BFG Mud-Terrains. Onboard Air,4\"Superlift,2\"body. Warn Winch. Slight body damage. <br />\"Born to Wheel\', Forced to Work.\"

Comment

• JEEPGUZZZI
                      258 I6
                      • Feb 17, 2002

I actually had two places send me narrow trac bumpers and insist they would fit. This is after I told them there was a difference. The small corner pieces that attach to the flares are much wider in the wide track. I think the difference is about 4" in length. I looked for about two years trying to find a decent wide trac bumper.

The frustration did lead to inspiring me to design and build a much more useful bumper.

Comment

• Gladi8r
                        304 AMC
                        • Jun 20, 2000

I eat my words
                        DON <br /><a href=\"http://www.Gladi8r.com\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Website</b></a><br /><br />1988 GW 360<br />Edelbrock Intake & 1406<br />TF727/Dana 300<br /><br />1971 J-4500,Rhino Grille<br />A work in progress <br />Soon to be:<br />500 Caddy |Th400 | 205<br />DANA 44/60 (3:73)<br /><br /><b>\"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little<br />temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.\" </b> Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                        X