X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 78 WIDETRAC
    350 Buick
    • Aug 19, 2003

Still chipping away at it. I installed a different Alt mounting system. I wanted to simplify it. I'm not going to run A/C so I don't need all of the brackets, spacers etc...

I removed all of the greasy power steering stuff so I could clean it all up. Both hoses were cracked from age. They will get replaced.

I power washed a lot of the grease off of the underside today also.

I was able to move the wheel back to center into the wheel well.

I added some cheap 35's on 18" wheels and polished the paint some.

I still have about 50 items to do and or finish before I can drive it.

I'm also working on the 79 Chief too. So it takes my attention from the 81.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
      304 AMC
      • Jul 25, 2016

dang, looks great.

tuff looking Cherokee !

dave in NC
      SOLSAKS - dave
      1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
      1982 J-10 Fleetside
      1988 grand wagoneer
      2004 RUBICON jeep
      Benson, NC

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

no kidding! That paint came screaming back!!!
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
          258 I6
          • Dec 17, 2018

Finally got caught up on this thread!

You've made some serious progress makes me so jealous! Then I see you got another Cherokee! So Jealous of that too!

Doing some awesome stuff here, your dash is looking amazing and engine work is great!

Keep at it.
          Some call me Taylor...

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
          Pewter, Blue Interior, Original 401
          PO swapped in a 360, soon to be a 401 again!
          "Soon" is a relative term.
          Cracked cylinder put a hurt on me + bad connecting rods.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
            350 Buick
            • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
            no kidding! That paint came screaming back!!!

It will look pretty good when it's all washed and has a proper buff job.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
              350 Buick
              • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by Wagoneer Taylor
              Finally got caught up on this thread!

You've made some serious progress makes me so jealous! Then I see you got another Cherokee! So Jealous of that too!

Doing some awesome stuff here, your dash is looking amazing and engine work is great!

Keep at it.

Thanks! I was hoping to have it running by now, but working on Two fuel systems that have sat for years takes time. I didn't want to remove the tank until it was higher off of the ground.

I'm re-sanding the dash, and something was living behind the gauges so they need some attention!

The 79 was just around the corner from home depot on Spicer rd in albany.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                350 Buick
                • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by SOLSAKS
                dang, looks great.

tuff looking Cherokee !

dave in NC

Thank you Dave!

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                  350 Buick
                  • Aug 19, 2003

I've been making progress slowly. New mechanical fuel pump, return hose for the power steering. I replaced all of the bolts with the stainless kit from bj's. Got the power steering brackets cleaned up and pulleys painted.

I thought I had ordered all of my fuel tank bits already. That is not the case, I still need a fuel sock and new vent gaskets.

I'm going with the stock fuel system because I have all of the stuff to run the sniper like that. Walbro pump in the RobbMc tank.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                    350 Buick
                    • Aug 19, 2003

I'm making progress. The gas tank is mounted. I need to hook up the fuel fill hoses and put a filter near the rear of the tank. I finished fixing the radiator, painting and installing it the along with the fan, hoses etc.

I am trying to figure out how and where to mount the ignition box, coil and mcrobb tank. I'm thinking the ignition box in the original jeep spot. mcrobb can recessed in the front inner fender where the windshield washer box is. Coil, maybe the passenger fender by the solenoid.

I removed my windshield and found rust through the dash. So it needs repaired before I can reinstall windshield. I hope the hardware doesn't snap off in the cowl when I try to remove the dash to repair it. PB blaster should work.

I think there was a leak at the bottom center of the windshield at the pinch weld seam and in the pic right by the rust that caused all of the weird rust on the face my dash. I originally thought it was leaking from the upper gasket.

It has rained tons here since I bought it and nothing ever leaked down from the gasket above.

I'm glad the top of the windshield was sealed good and the pinch weld metal looks good also.

Last edited by 78 WIDETRAC; 07-19-2020, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

Did you also upgrade the alternator? Looks different than the earlier posts.

You engine bay looks great! This thing is going to be amazing!
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                        350 Buick
                        • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                        Did you also upgrade the alternator? Looks different than the earlier posts.

You engine bay looks great! This thing is going to be amazing!

Thanks Marc.

I just grabbed one from my parts hoard. The other one was needing a bearing.

It's getting closer for sure. The dash rust has me a little concerned. I just hope it's not into the cowl. Because the VIN tag is attached I just cant swap for a better dash.

I still don't have a little welder, and I'm going to need one for the floor pans. That might be one of the next things to get.

I also removed the huge bumper and winch, I was a pain in the rear working over. It or something similar will go back. I need to figure out how much that set up weighs.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                          350 Buick
                          • Aug 19, 2003

I pulled the dash out to see what it was hiding. The cowl is rust free. So just the dash and some of the pinchweld need to get repaired. Lots of surface rust under the dash and on the brake and clutch pedal bracket. A mouse was living on the top of it based on the seeds that were there, or maybe just a snack hangout spot.

No rust!

Bottom of the dash
                          Last edited by 78 WIDETRAC; 07-19-2020, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                            350 Buick
                            • Aug 19, 2003

It's nice to have these long warm days. I was able to finish cleaning up and getting some paint on the metal of the pedal bracket.

Hopefully the 6" lift will keep the little mice out of the jeep from now on.

Any advise on a decent small welder for a beginner repairing floor pans, dashes and other random jeep stuff. 110v would be best. I really don't want to drag my friends stuff over here. I need my own. Out of 5 jeeps only one is completely rust free.

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                              Shakes hands with danger
                              • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by 78 WIDETRAC
                              Any advise on a decent small welder for a beginner repairing floor pans, dashes and other random jeep stuff. 110v would be best. I really don't want to drag my friends stuff over here. I need my own. Out of 5 jeeps only one is completely rust free.
                              Normally I gravitate toward used equipment instead of buying brand new cheaper stuff at the same price point, but even the cheaper new stuff seems pretty decent these days, and some of them have nice features like the ability to run on either 120V or 240V.

I would still lean toward a used Lincoln or Miller for occasional light duty use. I have had a Lincoln SP-125+ for about 20 years and it's been a real workhorse. The infinitely adjustable power and wire speed are really nice compared to the indexed knobs on the cheaper Lincoln Weld-Pak machines sold at home improvement stores.

Decent used entry-level machines don't seem to pop up often around here. Apparently people who buy them tend to keep them.

Spend a little time reading at https://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ and watch his videos on YouTube. See what appeals to you.

Realistically, even the little Weld-Pak units will work for what you want to do. Make sure you're on a good circuit with a 20A breaker, make sure you're making a really good connection with the ground clamp, and you'll be fine.
                              '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                              Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                              High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                                350 Buick
                                • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by DarkMonohue
                                Normally I gravitate toward used equipment instead of buying brand new cheaper stuff at the same price point, but even the cheaper new stuff seems pretty decent these days, and some of them have nice features like the ability to run on either 120V or 240V.

I would still lean toward a used Lincoln or Miller for occasional light duty use. I have had a Lincoln SP-125+ for about 20 years and it's been a real workhorse. The infinitely adjustable power and wire speed are really nice compared to the indexed knobs on the cheaper Lincoln Weld-Pak machines sold at home improvement stores.

Decent used entry-level machines don't seem to pop up often around here. Apparently people who buy them tend to keep them.

Spend a little time reading at https://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ and watch his videos on YouTube. See what appeals to you.

Realistically, even the little Weld-Pak units will work for what you want to do. Make sure you're on a good circuit with a 20A breaker, make sure you're making a really good connection with the ground clamp, and you'll be fine.

Thank you. I am looking to buy something used for sure. FB market place has some deals often.

Comment

Working...
                                X