• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brynjminjones
    258 I6
    • Jun 11, 2017

Electric Choke Switch questions

To give a bit of background before I start:

My 1991 Waggy is set up for dual-fuel, with the original carb for gas and a propane mixer bolted on top.
    It runs great on gas with plenty of power, but is very under-powered on propane and doesn't idle as well.

This is my first carbureted vehicle so I'm really learning from scratch here.

Before I go in over my head and start playing with timing and tuning, I want to get everything set up properly.

Now, I recently noticed that my electric choke switch is disconnected with the connector just hanging loose.
    I'd have thought that this would have caused problems running on gas, but it starts (hot and cold), runs and idles really nicely.

Is there often a reason that people might disconnect this; can I just plug it back in again or will that screw everything up?
    1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
    1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
    1974 Ford F100 390
  • JeepJeepster
    350 Buick
    • Sep 04, 2014

Not really any reason to unhook that. See if its getting 12+ when the Jeep is running and hook it up. The choke also uses a vacuum pull off but from what I remember, it wont open the choke all the way.

Be careful, if that wire grounds out it will quickly burn the Jeep to the ground. The carb emission wiring is not protected with any sort of fuse/fusible link.
    2004 Jeep Liberty
    1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
    1994 Jeep ZJ I6
    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

The choke on these carburetors is thermoelectric; that is, it opens from a combination of electric heating and indirect heat from the exhaust gases. There is a passage in the intake manifold that delivers exhaust gas to a stove that makes filtered hot air (not exhaust fumes) for the choke.

The electric side boosts the opening speed. The switch is an oil pressure switch, so that electricity is only delivered when the engine is running. This prevents the choke from opening when the key is on and the engine is not running.

Typically you need both electricity and hot air for the choke to work properly. Since the rest of the fuel delivery has been modified, the choke may have too. There are all-electric choke mechanisms available that could have been swapped in to your Jeep. Also, the choke will work fine without the pressure switch as long as you don't let the car sit with the switch on.
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• thumperjohn151
        230 Tornado
        • Apr 27, 2018

Ok - Have you checked for vacuum leaks anywhere in the setup? carb-to-manifold? LPG rig-to-carb?
        87' "SCHOONER WAGON"
        And a bunch of classics too numerous to list...
        I just want to roam. . .

Comment

• Brynjminjones
          258 I6
          • Jun 11, 2017

I just wanted to say a quick thanks guys, as well as put a follow up in case anybody's interested.

It would seem that reconnecting the electric choke has sorted all of my high idle issues. Seems a bit odd to me, as the electric choke switch was already disconnected before the high idle started, but it's better now.

The carb has since had a rebuild too as it was shooting gas everywhere, so now it's better than ever!
          1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
          1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
          1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

Working...
          X