• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 72wag
    232 I6
    • Jan 16, 2001

th400 question

i was under the wag today to work on my fuel tank (a task i never got to!!) and i noticed that there were 3, maybe 4, bolts missing where my transmission attaches to the engine. i think its the bell-housing, but i've never really studied the underside of the tranny. obviously this isn't good and i will get new bolts, but my question is this:
    when trying to get the thing in gear last week - after it sat for 1 1/2 years -- it took a lot of patience and a little more throttle to finally get it to move. i figured this was due to it sitting so long, but now that i see i am missing several bolts around the bottom of the bell housing (not right next to each other, but randomly spaced) i'm thinking that there must have been some major problem or too much stress sometime before i put it in storage that caused those bolts to fall out. i also had trouble with the tranny shifting (all gears) before and i was told it might be a faulty vacuum shift modulator, so i replaced that, but the problem still happened on occasion. now, i have found that my power brake booster is faulty and is causing a huge vacuum leak in the system -- which would explain why my brakes were very hard to use before. could this have been the cause of my transmission problems? the lack of vacuum causing the tranny to not shift, thus putting undue strain on the bell-housing when revving high in order to surge into the next gear? just my brainstorming on this problem. i'm putting a new booster in this weekend, along with replacing those bolts on the tranny, do you guys think this will fix the problem?

thanks for the help, sorry about the lengthy post.
    72Wag<br />-------------------------<br />Cameron<br />1972 Wagoneer<br />360/2bbl/th400/twin stick d20/<br />31x10.5/15 Pro Comp MT\'s on AE 589\'s<br />Rhino Grill<br />Custom Dash
  • Frank in Norway
    327 Rambler
    • Jun 28, 2000

If this is bolts you see from the underside, it can be just the inspection cover bolts. The bolts that attach the tranny to the engine isn't visible from the underside.
    If you have a vacuum leak that can be the reason for not/late upshifts.
    Frank in Norway
    http://www.fullsizejeep.com
    [email protected]
    '77 Wagoneer (360/TH400/QT, D60's, ARB's, 39,5's, Coil-spring)

Comment

• Tad
      • Nov 30, 2001

Actually I think what you are seeing is the back side of the holes for the TH400-AMC360 adapter ring.
      Your 72 used a shorter th400 with this adapter to get that 360 bolted up there.
      Get up there close, the adapter is about 1.5" thick and pretty easy to spot.
      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

Working...
      X