• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 44BZ
    304 AMC
    • Dec 10, 2009

dome light won't shut off

I decided to install the BJs replacement dome light I got for Christmas two years ago, which seemed simple enough. Two wires; one solid white, the other white/orange striped. I unplugged the two wires for the old light and plugged in the two wires for the new light and it worked!

However, it just stays on all the time. Since it wires into the headlight switch I figured it would turn on and off with the parking lamps or something. Unfortunately the light stays on when all the other lights are off.

The stock wiring is also one solid and one striped so I matched them initially. When the light wouldn't turn off, I switched them but no change. Any suggestions?
    Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!
  • racegas
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 15, 2012

What about the dimmer knob?
    'Robert E Lee'
    89 GW White w/Cordovan Interior(daughter's DD)

Comment

• serehill
      Gone,Never Forgotten.
      • Nov 22, 2009

yep

Did you turn the headlight knob clockwise?

If yes then the wire is grounded somewhere or you have a bad door switch.
      Last edited by serehill; 01-18-2013, 01:38 PM.

80 Cherokee
      360 ci 727 with
      Comp cams 270 h
      NP208
      Edlebrock performer intake
      Holley 4180
      Msd total multi spark.
      4" rusty's springs
      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• 44BZ
        304 AMC
        • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by serehill
        Did you turn the headlight knob counter clockwise?
        I didn't realize I had a dimmer function I'll check that and report back, thanks guys
        Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• 44BZ
          304 AMC
          • Dec 10, 2009

Well for some reason the dome light won't come on now, but I discovered that I have working dash lights so it's kind of a win

Comment

• KJ Ryu
            350 Buick
            • Sep 06, 2008

I just crank the dimmer back and forth til things work on mine.
            Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled.
            1977 J10, 2v304, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly Occasional driving!
            1978 SJ Wagoneer, 360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall NOT Running
            1977 J10 4v401, TH400, BW1339, mostly stock DD

Originally posted by Mars
            One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil

Comment

• serehill
              Gone,Never Forgotten.
              • Nov 22, 2009

Round 2

Clean the door switches or replace

80 Cherokee
              360 ci 727 with
              Comp cams 270 h
              NP208
              Edlebrock performer intake
              Holley 4180
              Msd total multi spark.
              4" rusty's springs
              Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Bryan Smith
                2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
                1986 Jeep J20
                - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
                1982 Jeep J10
                - Has become a Long Term Project.
                1981 Jeep J20
                - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
                1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
                - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
                ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
                Originally posted by Lindel
                Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

• 44BZ
                  304 AMC
                  • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by serehill
                  Clean the door switches or replace
                  Mine doesn't have door switches that I can see. I think it's soley operated by the headlight switch. I messed with it again today for a little bit, but it's too cold outside and my fingers quickly became numb. My gauge lights still work, but not the dome light. I can't figure out what I did

Comment

• Rich88
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by 44BZ
                    Mine doesn't have door switches that I can see. I think it's soley operated by the headlight switch. I messed with it again today for a little bit, but it's too cold outside and my fingers quickly became numb. My gauge lights still work, but not the dome light. I can't figure out what I did
                    If you don't have door switches then you should at least see the holes where they used to be and there may be wires dangling around inside there, one of which is touching ground that was keeping the light on. Just a theory. But possible. May want to fish around with a coat hanger bent into a hook at the end.
                    Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
                    88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
                    "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• 44BZ
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by Rich88
                      If you don't have door switches then you should at least see the holes where they used to be and there may be wires dangling around inside there, one of which is touching ground that was keeping the light on. Just a theory. But possible. May want to fish around with a coat hanger bent into a hook at the end.
                      I wonder if the door switches were an option because I'm not sure that mine ever had them. There are what appear to be steel knockouts in the front door pillar. Perhaps the switches could be installed there? My TSM isn't clear about whether door switches were standard or not, more of an either/or kinda statement

Comment

• Rich88
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by 44BZ
                        I wonder if the door switches were an option because I'm not sure that mine ever had them. There are what appear to be steel knockouts in the front door pillar. Perhaps the switches could be installed there? My TSM isn't clear about whether door switches were standard or not, more of an either/or kinda statement
                        Well, guess you got a case: No switches. Didn't realize something so cheap and simple would be an option. The original buyer must've really been a cheapskate. Umm...do you have ash trays?
                        Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
                        88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
                        "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• 44BZ
                          304 AMC
                          • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by Rich88
                          Well, guess you got a case: No switches. Didn't realize something so cheap and simple would be an option. The original buyer must've really been a cheapskate. Umm...do you have ash trays?
                          Ha Ha. I do have those, on either side of my radio delete plate

Comment

Working...
                          X