• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FSJK
    258 I6
    • Feb 12, 2009

Fuel tank filler neck ? for J-truck

Sorry for all the grade school type questions/threads, but my truck came pretty bare boned & stripped down so I'm doing all of this without experience or a good example in front of me.

My 82 J20 didn't have a bed on it when I bought it (well a wooden flat bed, but that's gone) and I got a bed out of a mid 70's truck.

My fuel tank was a tiny plastic tank from another vehicle (barely 15 gallons) so I'm switching to a carbureted XJ Cherokee 20 gallon tank. Now, the bed I'm mounting shortly only has a round fuel filler opening with nothing attached to it...and come to think of it, the inside of the bed seems to have a strange opening surrounding it (which I'll ask about later).

Most of all the J-truck fuel fillers are the square type...so, does anyone have any pictures or can you explain the setup for the round hole only filler necks?

I suppose I can post in the Parts Wanted section looking for one, but if anyone has any pictures, that would be great. The parts rig we picked up also uses the square/normal type filler so aside from just cutting that section out and cutting my bed to accept it, looking for an easier solution. Thanks!
  • Tornado230
    350 Buick
    • Sep 14, 2008

Sent you an e-mail.

Comment

• COLOFIREMAN
      Gone,But not Forgotten.
      • Apr 09, 2005

I'll show you mine if you show me yours first....

No really post up what you have so we can see what is going to be needed to make it work.
      Jason in the Mountains
      1978 J10 LB,OE 4-speed,4:10's,4BBl,and just 85K(daily driver)
      1988 Grand Waggy 8" lift 35" A/T's (under construction)
      1984 CJ7 12" lift 39" Iroks 1 tons
      1979 Cherokee Super Chief (under construction )
      1974 J-10 LB Buick 455 BB 4" lift 33" BFG tires
      1973 J-4800 LB plow truck 7" lift 255/85/16 LT Truxs MT's

Comment

• Elliott
        Cowboy Up
        • Jun 22, 2002

Hmmm, don't recall what year they changed the filler inlet.... I'd guess '79-80.
        *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
        ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

Sounds about right. Maybe '78? My '77 has the round hole in the bed side, and all the newer ones I recall have the square recess.

<edit> The parts book shows '78-on for the Gasoline Cap Protector, but the illustration says '74-79 Townside plumbing is all the same.

Without the protector, they use a fuel cap receiver in the middle of a circular flange that bolts to the side of the bed. The plumbing consists of an S-shaped hose that connects to an S-shaped pipe, and another short straight length of hose to the fuel tank. There's also the ca 1" diam glug-glug hose from the tank to a bulkhead fitting in the large S-shaped hose, up near the filler cap.

I suggest that you make the whole thing out of thin-wall metal tubing connected to the filler flange and the tank with short sections of fuel filler hose, and put a connection for the glug-glug tube in the metal tube up near the filler flange. These filler hoses are NLA AFAIK and you will have a hard time finding a good used replacement... everyone fabs their own from pipe and straignt filler hose.
          Last edited by tgreese; 06-27-2009, 03:48 PM.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Working...
          X