• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elowsma
    232 I6
    • Jul 06, 2017

BDS and BJs Lift Kits

Ok, so I was just about to drop cash on my BDS 4" lift until I ran into forum pessimism on BDS. Can someone who actually has a BDS lift with BDS (or other shocks) give me an honest opinion. If I go by what I read, BDS rides like a rock.... on top of a rock... and my back is likely to break.
    After free shipping, the BDS deal is the value of choice unless I break my spine. Then maybe the BJ's deal, with its $325 shipping, isn't too bad.

For the Skyjacker fans, and I know there are rightfully many, they're off the table.

Thanks
    1978 Wagoneer
    401 bored slightly with RV Cam and Howell FI
    BDS 4" Lift

I had a BDS 4" all spring kit on a YJ many years ago, and I would not purchase another. What you describe as the ride is definitely what I experienced. I can't say whether the FSJ kit would be the same or not, but I would expect no different.

aa
    1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• tenoverthenose
      we don't know what he wants.
      • Jan 12, 2017

I had 4" BDS springs that came on a CJ7 I bought and it rode pretty rough. They just didn't feel like they wanted to flex that much. I had a YJ that I put 2" Rubicon Express springs on a decade ago and I remember that being fairly smooth (for a baby jeep).

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
        304 AMC
        • May 01, 2004

I installed 4" BDS on my Wagoneer in '04 and still have them. At the time, I didn't find any other options and liked the warranty.

I found the rear springs to be quite stiff out of the box, but chalked that up to the fact that my rig has been empty for a long time (not much weight back there). I do feel it has loosened up over time. I have not put a ton of miles on the rig in the last decade but don't really have any complaints. I considered pulling a leaf from them, but have either grown accustomed to them or they have loosened up.

I don't wheel the rig, so not much opportunity to loosen them. I still have the BDS shocks under there, but have plans to go Bilstien in the near future.

I will say I have 2.5" OME springs and Bilstien 5165's on my YJ with SOA D44's and it has always been a great ride. Much softer than the Wagoneer. I have been really happy with OME, even after bending a front leaf (I deserved it!). I am also replacing the rear springs and adding OME add-a-leafs to the rear to address some rear squat. If I ever get them installed, we will see if the add-a-leafs cause a stiff ride. I don't think OME offers FSJ springs. The YJ is my wheeler and those that have been to ECI have probably seen me beat on it.
        One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
        http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
        95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
        50 CJ3A
        77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• SkylinePCG
          258 I6
          • Jan 11, 2005

I have what I believe is a hell creek lift and have been pretty happy with it. It also depends on what you’re used to and your expectations. At the end of the day it’s atill going to be a short wheel based, leaf sprung, solid axled rig. It’s never going to ride like grandpas sloppy Lincoln, soaking up every imperfection on the road.
          1980 Cherokee WT

360, 727, 219, 35s
          Holley 4bbl, Edelbrock performer intake/cam, TFI, Hedman LT headers, HB brakes, aaaand GW seats!

Still on the shelf... Hamilton EFI, Transgo TF-2...

Comment

Working...
          X