International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 05-12-2004, 03:09 PM

Info-78 Cherokee 360.I wasn't present for any of this- Wouldn't start just click, tried a battery charger.Nothing. Tried jump starting and A wire off the solenoid smoked! I think it was yellow. Does this basically power the inside, cause now there is nothing. Don't have time to check out, maybe some tomorrow after work if it's not pouring down rain.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:39 PM

I ran into this problem with my '85 GW. Solenoid for some reason sprung the positive post right out of itself after melting the plastic. When I installed a new one I wasnt getting any power at all, after farting around in the engine pay for a while I found that wire had been cut somehow. Replaced it & soldered where the two smaller gage wires come into the larger. Haven't had a problem since.
Hope this helps
Good Luck

-Chuck
1985 Grand Wagoneer \"Bertha\" (currently undergoing major reconstructive surgery)<br /><br />Pioneer & Sony Audio<br />TFI<br />Pair of Hella 500s (not working now)<br />Flowmaster Delta 40 Series & Hack Job Exhaust<br /><br />Mold-infested carpeting <br />*smells ggggreat!*
Old 05-12-2004, 03:47 PM
Gear Head

I think that yellow wire connects to your fusable link. That's probably what the smoke was. You have to replace the wire with another fuse or fuseable link. Someone here may know the amps. I couldn't find it in the TSM.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:30 PM
JB Welder

10 gauge wire or so? and yellow?

SOunds like the one that goes up to the ammeter.

The ammeters are notorious for blowing in these old ones, and the entire current for the rig flows through them.

Hopefully it was just a fusible link (though they are usually a more redish color from what I have seen), but you may have had a short somewhere that overheated the chargin circuit, which fried the ammeter wire.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:26 AM
FSJ Maniac

Location: Just S. of Branson (in Beautiful Razorback Country)
Try putting the magic smoke back in and see if it works.

Wayne S
Old 05-13-2004, 01:27 AM
FSJ Maniac

Location: Just S. of Branson (in Beautiful Razorback Country)
Or follow Jode's advice.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:49 PM

Put a wire inplace of the one that burnt- Plain 12 gauge(I think) Got it to run. Found out what caused it, Owner hooked up jumper cables backwards! Doh! Got one problem now- dash lights stay on and the parking light on the front right, and right turn signal indicator. Any clues where to start looking for something fused together?
Old 05-18-2004, 02:57 PM
GrimJeeperReaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeeprs69:
Put a wire inplace of the one that burnt- Plain 12 gauge(I think) Got it to run. Found out what caused it, Owner hooked up jumper cables backwards! Doh! Got one problem now- dash lights stay on and the parking light on the front right, and right turn signal indicator. Any clues where to start looking for something fused together?
I'm gonna figure like Jode mentioned above..that wire may go to your amp guage...take the cluster out, look at the wires behind it, some could have melted , and caused problems back there, thankfully didn't burn up...start by putting one amp wire over the other amp wire, that solves the burning inferno problem with these amp setups...the other wires might need replaced or/also there is a ground problem, in the harness somewhere, I'd trace the entire path of that yellow wire that smoked up though if I were you.

1946 Willys CJ2A, getting ready to fix up.

Too many hobbies! $$$
Old 05-19-2004, 02:40 PM

Went to get a manual- Not in stock so I ordered it. I'll get it Friday. The wire was tied to another wire too. It ran to the Alt plug. I'll know more when I got more time. I hope
Old 05-19-2004, 03:11 PM

What is it with smoking wires today? I have enjoyed all previous work on The Beast...but this afternnon, The *****.

I now venture into the "Realm of Electrical Work" on the Jeep. I would have never gotten here if something hadn't started producing smoke.
1990 GW<br />Rebuilt 360<br />Throttle Body Injection, TPIGuy\'s<br />ESPO Springs w/ +1.5\'<br />1.5\' rear blocks<br />Ranchos 5000/9000<br />Yokohamas 31X10.5<br />TFI+MSD<br />New Carpet throughout<br />rear U Joints replaced, rear wheel bearings, new A/C, K&N, Killer tunes<br /><br />Sometimes I feel like we are those people on \"Close Encounters\" that were affected.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:11 PM

I can speak from personal experience about the ammeter. Passanger side motor mount broke and the engine came down on a bunch of wires. It must have been just enough, because a month after I spliced them back together (and being gone for Christmas break) the battery was dead and I smelled magic...smoke that is. While I was gone, the ammeter was busy frying the red and yellow wires...along with every wire I neatly bundled with them. I'm in the process of a "Painless" rewire right now.

Oh well, needed something to do besides practice and work...ha.

Anyway, this, in my opinion, is a good time to take that ammeter out of the loop, whether it was at fault or not. There are lots of good write-ups about it.