• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick1224
    232 I6
    • Jun 05, 2002

NP241c driver's side drop driveshaft

Hey guys. I have an early NP241c with the long flange front output. I took my driveshafts along with the chevy stockers to my driveshaft guy and he advised me to keep the double CV on the front driveshaft.

I thought I could just swap the front yoke for a CV style (153 1310), but because this is an early long yoke case, no one makes sucha yoke...only ones with 2" through hole dimensions.

What have others done with the front driveshaft in this swap? Anyone know where I could find a yoke like this?

Oh, the end of the front driveshaft near the D44 has to be thinner than 2.5". THere is not much room with the exhaust.

Thanks!
    88 GW...6.0/4l80e/241c swap. Just finishing loose ends. Old MSII TBI wasted spark for sale.
  • chrism
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 07, 2002

I have an NP241 in my wag with the stock GM non-cv driveshaft. It works but I have a lot of vibes since the pinion angle is set up for a full time case and CV driveshaft.
    My local 4x4/driveline guy says to get a CV front driveshaft from a GM solid axle truck with a 700R4. It will bolt up to the flange but you will need a saginaw to 1310 conversion ujoint to connect it to the dana 44. You may still need to get the length changed by your drive line shop since its a swap. he told me though that since I am using a stock GM shaft now I should be able to find a CV shaft thats pretty close. I have not gone looking for one yet though.
    1979 Cherokee
    1979 CJ-7

Comment

• Nick1224
      232 I6
      • Jun 05, 2002

Cool. I'll tell my guy.

He called and said he found something that might work....fingers crossed. If not im going to the junkyard and hunting for a newer np241 or a yoke that could work.
      88 GW...6.0/4l80e/241c swap. Just finishing loose ends. Old MSII TBI wasted spark for sale.

Comment

• Nick1224
        232 I6
        • Jun 05, 2002

So no luck with the old output. Bough tr the shorter front output and will swqp that in. found a cv yoke and driveshaft from a durango that looks promising.

Comment

• Nick1224
          232 I6
          • Jun 05, 2002

Pulled apart the case and re-sealed it. The shorter chevy front output shaft swapped right in. Now I can use the durango cv yoke and hopefully the durango front driveshaft too.

Just waiting on my case saver to replace the main output snap ring....a known weak point.

Comment

• Nick1224
            232 I6
            • Jun 05, 2002

The front output yoke from the Durango seems to fit well. Much shorter should make the angle even less.

The seal is definately tight. I used some petroleum on the seal. When in 4Hi it does take a bit of effort to rotate. That should get better once she runs a bit, right?

Comment

• REDONE
              304 AMC
              • Aug 19, 2002

Thanks for keeping us updated despite a lack of posts! Good info!
              2012 Winner of the Prestigious Ouray Cast Iron Butt Award
              79 J-10 - The Money Badger!
              304/T18/D20/D44s
              What's been did:
              Holley 4160/Ede' S.P.2.P.
              MSD Streetfire based TFI
              Custom-hack gauge cluster
              Razor swap
              Fancy exhaust (Thrush Muffler)
              2 knob tape deck!
              3" homebuilt lift
              Half a hillbilly paint job

Comment

• Nick1224
                232 I6
                • Jun 05, 2002

Trying to keep info here for future swappers. I'm going to do a big writeup once the whole swap is done with all the partnumbers and other difficult to find stuff.

I got the stock GM cluster today. It's a bit larger, but I wanted to re-do te dash anyways. It would be nice to have OEM parts for replacement later on. Plus, it has a tranny temp gauge!

Comment

Working...
                X