• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

...you might be a FSJ guy

I love Jeff Foxworthy's "..you might be a redneck" jokes. I'm not so much redneck as I am a car guy. Here are some indicators of FSJ guys that i have noticed. Please reply with indicators that you have noticed will also show a true FSJ guys

-If you have trouble finding a T-Shirt in your clean clothes that doesn't have permanent car fluid stains on it...
    -If you can name the fluid(s) that made the stains on most of your shirts and you know when you got it there but you have trouble noticing when your wife has a new shirt on...
    -If you know the cost you paid for every part you have put on your Jeep but you dare not add it all up...
    -If you have a 2 or more car garage that has enough parts in it to build a FSJ, yet your FSJ lingers in the weather night after night...
    -If you know the status of every FSJ and FSJ part on Craigslist in your area, at any given time...
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

-If the thought "Wow! That's a good lookin' pig nose" has crossed your mind...
    -If a 1MPG increase excites you because that's a 12% improvement from what you're getting now...
    -If it seems odd to you that no one commented on what you're driving when you pumped gas...
    Last edited by rang-a-stang; 07-07-2017, 06:16 PM.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• ShagWagon
      350 Buick
      • Apr 10, 2016

If you cry when you watch this....

87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• DarkMonohue
        Shakes hands with danger
        • Jul 01, 2012

...if the kid at the wrecking yard still brings up Grand Cherokees and XJs after explaining three times that that is not what you are looking for.

...if you have to convince people who ask what engine you have that an AMC 360 isn't the same as the Ferd, Dudge, etc., in their cousin Skeeter's derby car.

...if you cut to the chase and cross-reference parts yourself on the internet rather than try to explain what you need to the Saturday crew at McParts.

...if you keep a spreadsheet of every Cordoba, Monte Carlo, baby Cherokee, Ambassador, F250, K20, and Cushman to use as an alternate when looking up parts.

...if the Saturday crew at McParts goes dead still and stops blinking (i.e. cognitive stall) when you try to explain what you're working on.

...if every gas station has at least one customer who either had one of those or hasn't seen one of those in years.
        '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
        High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• WrenchMonkey
          232 I6
          • Dec 15, 2016

If you "Jeep wave" a jeep and they don't wave back...

If at some point you were legitimately worried your rig may spontaneously combust and burn to the ground...

If, while working on your rig, you say "The previous owner..." this or "That s.o.b. previous owner..." that...

If you've printed out the highest resolution, color coded wiring schematic you can find for your rig and laminated it...

If spending $400+ on the tailgate of a 40 year old truck in 40 y/o shape sounds like a good deal...

If the list of parts you "need" is bigger than the list of parts you "want"...

If you take longer to fill up your gas tank than the tractor trailer next to you at the pump..
          1977 J20 w/ the 360 V8 with 304 heads formerly known as "401"....
          Edelbrock Performer, Street Demon Carb, HEI Distributor

Comment

• DarkMonohue
            Shakes hands with danger
            • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey
            If, while working on your rig, you say "The previous owner..." this or "That s.o.b. previous owner..." that...
            Or, "Damn those lazy Toledo U.A.W. sons of..."

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey
            If you take longer to fill up your gas tank than the tractor trailer next to you at the pump..
            Had to think about this for a second. I forgot how hard earlier models were to fill up. My '85 fills up its half-pint tank in no time flat. Hardly enough time to warsh the windshield and check the earl!

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• mattmopar440
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • May 17, 2007

when you pull into work and they say hey u have a major leak and go nah its only power steering thats a minor problem
              87' Grand Wagoneer
              401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
              84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
              80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
              74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
              Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
              Inferior Chevy

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

These are awesome! HAHAH!!! I am so glad I am not the only one dealing with this stuff!!

-if you don't even correct people anymore when they call your rig an International...
                -If someone asks "What is that smell?!" in disgust when they get into your rig and you reply with "which one?"...
                -If the thought of upgrading your radio hasn't crossed your mind because it would take $1000 to build a stereo loud enough to hear over the road noise, tire noise, exhaust leaks, wind leaks, rattles, and fan noise... Then again, I love the sound of my FSJ and don't want a radio to drown it out.
                -If you have a process/set of rules for minimizing fluid stains on the ground from parking your rig in front of your house...
                -If you giggle everytime there is an HOA meeting in your neighborhood and you KNOW how bad they hate looking at your rig but there is nothing they can do about it because it ALWAYS runs/Drive...
                -If you get a high level of satisfaction parking your rig in parking lot full of Escalades, yuppy'ed up JKs, Denali's, Porsches, Tundras, and Teslas because your rig gets by far the most looks...
                -If you spent less on your rig than most folks at a car show spent on their rims...
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                  Shakes hands with danger
                  • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                  -If you giggle everytime there is an HOA meeting in your neighborhood and you KNOW how bad they hate looking at your rig but there is nothing they can do about it because it ALWAYS runs/Drive...
                  ...if you would rather poke your left eye out with a burnt stick than buy property under the authority of an HOA.

...or, if you are the moneyed type, you spent big dollars on a ready-made showpiece (Wagonmasher, etc) specifically to show everyone in your HOA how moneyed you are.

...or, if you are the nearly-moneyed Lifestyle Achiever type, you couldn't quite stretch to a Wagonmasher example, so you bought a ten-footer and now spend half your spare time polishing parts that really ought to be replaced so that it looks good enough to park at your various Lifestyle Achiever social venues.

...if you swap grilles every year or two just because you can.

...if you keep a Final Edition grille packed away in the attic for formal occasions like weddings and funerals.

...if you have to issue five or more "special instructions" (e.g. pull the shifter up when cranking or the starter won't engage, hold the door key in the unlock position WHILE pushing the door handle button to open the door, etc.) when loaning the vehicle to someone else.

...if you carry a laminated card listing those special instructions in your wallet because it's faster than trying to explain them to the wife/friend/neighbor borrowing the vehicle.

Comment

• WrenchMonkey
                    232 I6
                    • Dec 15, 2016

-You might be an fsj guy if you've thought about upgrading the motor from an I6 to 360, or 401, or SBC, or 4BT, or any diesel...

-..if you've thought "I'll rebuild the engine when it dies..." and it's still going...

.... if is as common as
                    1977 J20 w/ the 360 V8 with 304 heads formerly known as "401"....
                    Edelbrock Performer, Street Demon Carb, HEI Distributor

Comment

• ZackN920
                      350 Buick
                      • Nov 18, 2015

...if you think getting 12.5mpg mixed is "doing great"
                      1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
                      Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
                      ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• Mars
                        350 Buick
                        • Apr 24, 2010

If you use "good enough" more than three times while talking about "repairs"..

If you consider a major leak as additional undercoating/rustproofing..

If your gauges behave like a ouija board..only randomly reading correctly to mess with you.

If you slam your door and look back to make sure nothing has fallen off.

If you get laughed at when people ask how much to sell it.

If you have to explain how Dodge,Ford and GM parts can co-exist on the same vehicle.
                        Wannabe Fabricator
                        Grumpy on a good day.
                        1981 J-10 Laredo.. mmmm bucket seats...
                        What I'm working on: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...50#post1503850

Comment

• JSJJ388
                          232 I6
                          • Jun 24, 2017

this one applies to motor heads in general.....

... you go to the parts house and just walk behind the counter because you and the parts boy both know he has no clue what you are looking for...
                          JSJJ388
                          EAGLE SCOUT '15
                          1986 GRAND WAGONEER - 360 (NAME TBD - PROJECT)
                          1994 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE - 4.SLOW (GREEN GREMLIN-TOY)
                          1994 DODGE DAKOTA - 3.9L (OL' FAITHFUL - DD)

Comment

• lastrealcherokee
                            232 I6
                            • Jun 27, 2014

Originally posted by JSJJ388
                            this one applies to motor heads in general.....

... you go to the parts house and just walk behind the counter because you and the parts boy both know he has no clue what you are looking for...

I AM the parts guy behind the counter. LOL. Napa Plant City FL.
                            1983 Cherokee 6cyl auto 139k miles. Now 160k with HEI distributor. Daily driver.

1979 Harley Davidson Lowrider

Comment

• dano73
                              232 I6
                              • Oct 11, 2007

....if you shake your head in disgust, whenever somebody says "nice comanche"

Comment

Working...
                              X