International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 08-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Muscle grill swap - parts collection

What up

I might be getting the damaged grill from this J10 pretty cheap

My question is basic. I want to make sure I get all of the parts I need from the J-truck, what all do I need to grab?

I haven't seen it or any other muscle grill-equipped FSJ up close enough to inspect the mounting pieces. I know most of it is straight-forward,but what about the connections to the square headlights?

I have the razor grill on my '78 Cherokee and plan to swap grills every now and then. Do I need to clip the wiring a few inches behind the headlight plugs?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Gear Head

ive never seen round headlights up close, so i wouldnt know for sure but the square headlights have a three prong plug, if that helps any, all you need for the swap would be headlights, headlight bezels, headlight buckets, grille, and grill surround, looks like a good deal, is the guy parting out j10 or selling it or what

Happiness is just a downshift away
2009 Ford Mustang GT-DD/Track Car
2006 Jeep Wrangler-DD/Trail Rig
1999 Jeep Wrangler-Dads Trail Rig
1989 Jeep Comanche-Project Truck
http://www.txfsja.org/forum/
Old 08-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepskater433
ive never seen round headlights up close, so i wouldnt know for sure but the square headlights have a three prong plug, if that helps any, all you need for the swap would be headlights, headlight bezels, headlight buckets, grille, and grill surround, looks like a good deal, is the guy parting out j10 or selling it or what

I'll have to pull a headlight off to check the plug pattern.

He was offering the J10 up running for $700 with what he says is a 4.2L-6 under the hood. He's decided to part it out (near Waco). He sold the short bed off of it , the axles and the T-176/208 combo out of it

I'm kicking the tires on the grill and fenders. I don't want to pass up good widetrack fenders,but I probably need to focus my $$ on mechanical necessities

you know how it is
Old 08-17-2009, 01:56 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwagon767
I'll have to pull a headlight off to check the plug pattern.

He was offering the J10 up running for $700 with what he says is a 4.2L-6 under the hood. He's decided to part it out (near Waco). He sold the short bed off of it , the axles and the T-176/208 combo out of it

I'm kicking the tires on the grill and fenders. I don't want to pass up good widetrack fenders,but I probably need to focus my $$ on mechanical necessities

you know how it is

yea, saw it, jus curious to see what people have, yea its always good idea to get parts that might come in handy one day, i always kick myself when i need something and ive either passed up buying it or have thrown it away

Happiness is just a downshift away
2009 Ford Mustang GT-DD/Track Car
2006 Jeep Wrangler-DD/Trail Rig
1999 Jeep Wrangler-Dads Trail Rig
1989 Jeep Comanche-Project Truck
http://www.txfsja.org/forum/
Old 08-17-2009, 02:08 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepskater433
yea its always good idea to get parts that might come in handy one day, i always kick myself when i need something and ive either passed up buying it or have thrown it away

I talked to a guy a couple of years ago that had pulled the engine out of his '77 Cherokee in favor of a Chevy 350 since he knew Chevys and didn't know Jeeps well. He took the Cherokee's engine to scrap and got $40 for it

It was a 401 and he had no idea what he threw away