• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stew4706
    232 I6
    • Jan 17, 2016

Frame Question

I am going to be doing an axle swap on my 73 but an 86 Waggy for sale down the street has me thinking. I am liking the idea of just picking up a donor and redoing the the frame and axles and swapping the body over - Thoughts?

I think the bumper mounts are different, anything else? Anyone have some experience they would like to share?

Thanks.
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

At some point the number of body mounts was decreased by one per side. Idunno if it was after '73. Count em up.
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

If you're just swapping axles, look for a pre-80 donor. In 80 the differentials moved. Front to drive side, rear to center. 79 and earlier front is pass side and rear is offset to pass side. For a body swap the bumper mounts are different an possible front floor pan configuration and possibly fuel filler door location? There's a rumor the floor pan for the BW QT equipped 73-79 wags is shaped different but I don't know that as fact. I know one guy who dropped a 64 Wag body on an early 80's chassis and his only big problem was a custom steering shaft between the steering column and steering box.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Dunno your skillset, but obviously anything is possible if put in time/effort.

This thread may have good info for you.
        Well, I've gone and done it...started the body swap. Last year I bought a non-running '72 Wagoneer (thread link (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106370)). I figure that since I've had so much trouble (thread link (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=80533)) trying to register the '81 diesel
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

If you did this swap you would want to do the whole drive-train rather than just frame/axles. That way you get correct axles/xfer case/trans/gas tank/brake proportioning valve, etc. I think you would also get a panhard bar out of the deal, too. Honestly, if the 86 is cheap, I say do it. Then you get a spare engine, interior parts, and pieces to sell. probably break even on the deal if it's cheap enough.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Stew4706
            232 I6
            • Jan 17, 2016

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
            If you did this swap you would want to do the whole drive-train rather than just frame/axles. That way you get correct axles/xfer case/trans/gas tank/brake proportioning valve, etc. I think you would also get a panhard bar out of the deal, too. Honestly, if the 86 is cheap, I say do it. Then you get a spare engine, interior parts, and pieces to sell. probably break even on the deal if it's cheap enough.

That is what I am thinking. I have also found a 74 frame and axles but I would need to ship it.

Thanks for all the responses!

Comment

• tgreese
              • May 29, 2003

Likely the '86 axles will have very tall ratios, like 2.73s. These can be changed, but it's difficult or expensive, again depending on your skill set. The '73 will likely be 3.31, though 3.73s were optional. The main difference for a '74 set is they are 6 lug, and the front will be the much superior Dana 44 open knuckle axle, near 100% certain with front disk brakes.

Get the '74 front axle and convert it to Ford hubs so it's a 5 on 5.5" wheel pattern. Keep your rear axle (assuming it's the same ratio as the new front).
              Tim Reese
              Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
              Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
              Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
              GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
              ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Working...
              X