• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • temps425
    327 Rambler
    • Nov 16, 2007

tailgate motor testing

My dash switch throws positive power to both tailgate motor wires one way ...then negative power to both wires the other way. I was under the impression it would be positive to one or the other for each direction...r...does this mean there is a short somewhere?
  • temps425
    327 Rambler
    • Nov 16, 2007

By the way...it does this even when I jump power at the harness directly (around the switch) so the switch is tested good....I cannot imagine why this is...maybe something along the way between the switch and the motor? I want to make sure before I teardown the tailgate

Comment

safety switch?
      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• will e
        Always Broke
        • Nov 16, 2001

Need more details. How are you testing it?

When I tested mine I did it at the connector below the tail gate using a mulitmeter.

Does the tailgate work from either the front or rear switch?
        82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• temps425
          327 Rambler
          • Nov 16, 2007

Tailgate is apart. I replaced the tailgate switch and I'm testing at the tailgate switch at the switch directly to the motor. I get positive 12v to both wires. Why isn't one a ground?? Did I put the switch in the wrong way??

Comment

• Tripwire
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jul 30, 2000

I think men in black has done a lot of work on this ( someone repairs them) here im pretty sure its him

PM him???

steve
            Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• temps425
              327 Rambler
              • Nov 16, 2007

Originally posted by Carnuck
              safety switch?
              I bypassed the safety switch....

Comment

• temps425
                327 Rambler
                • Nov 16, 2007

Originally posted by will e
                Need more details. How are you testing it?

When I tested mine I did it at the connector below the tail gate using a mulitmeter.

Does the tailgate work from either the front or rear switch?
                Works at the dash...now its working down down at the tailgate...I'm thinking I swapped in another bad switch

Comment

• serehill
                  Gone,Never Forgotten.
                  • Nov 22, 2009

HINT

If you've lost the ground in the circuit which you have both sides of the motor will show hot. One side Is hot & the other side is looking for ground. Remove the wires from the motor & you'll find one hot & one doing nothing power is feeding through the motor. It's not hot both sides. If you put the wire back on & ground the side that was NOT hot when disconnected the motor will run.

80 Cherokee
                  360 ci 727 with
                  Comp cams 270 h
                  NP208
                  Edlebrock performer intake
                  Holley 4180
                  Msd total multi spark.
                  4" rusty's springs
                  Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• temps425
                    327 Rambler
                    • Nov 16, 2007

Swapped in another switch...not the problem ...still down only at tailgate switch but the dash switch works both ways. Also tailgate switch seems to get hot and snap n crackle like its being shorted out when I press the inop up

Comment

• temps425
                      327 Rambler
                      • Nov 16, 2007

Yah the tan wire coming from the dash switch ( I assume) is smoking hot....could a bad dash switch be the problem?

Comment

• serehill
                        Gone,Never Forgotten.
                        • Nov 22, 2009

Sounds like both are the rear can be dissassembled & repaired

The front switch not so much they are aged.
                        Last edited by serehill; 06-29-2014, 05:06 PM.

80 Cherokee
                        360 ci 727 with
                        Comp cams 270 h
                        NP208
                        Edlebrock performer intake
                        Holley 4180
                        Msd total multi spark.
                        4" rusty's springs
                        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• temps425
                          327 Rambler
                          • Nov 16, 2007

Thanks...I'm calling the tailgate switch good since there is no change after swapping three and hopefully a new dash switch will fix it...other wise I'm settling for what I got as its getting late :/

Comment

Sorry I missed your call. My other friend Brandon went to move his '82 Wagoneer we were going to put his 4.0L/AW4/242 into and found some (GGM to infinity) stole the drivetrain during the night!
                            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• temps425
                              327 Rambler
                              • Nov 16, 2007

Wow. Stole the drive train?? That's impressive ... Sorry to hear that.

Comment

Working...
                              X