• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 74bigred
    230 Tornado
    • Jun 16, 2009

D60s

I have been told 2 different stories about Dana 60s. Some people say that I will be fine putting 60s under her. Some other people say I need to shorten them up. Cut them!? The axels are going on a 74 Cherokee. I haven't bought them yet and regardless I need them. I just want to know if they need to be shorter or can they be left alone.
  • Casey
    • Oct 08, 2003

Rear 60s can be found with many wms measurements. The widest being the J-20. That said, why would you want to make it more narrow? Your rig a n/t?

Dana60 rear axles have 30 spline shafts that aren't much bigger than a D44. Except the HD version found in some fords with 35 spline shafts.

I have a set for sale, geared/built to run 38s. Shipping would probably be a killer tho'. You'll have a pile of money in a rear 60 making it as strong as a GM 14b full floater.

1994 YJ
    1986 Comanche
    '57 FC-150

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
    www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Originally posted by Jeepstress
    "Go forth and be a tool".
    Originally posted by 78 Wagoneer
    This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.

Comment

• 74bigred
      230 Tornado
      • Jun 16, 2009

Thats what I said. And shipping would be mucho or it would be a deal.

Comment

• Sambo
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Sep 25, 2001

a dodge d60 is "suppose" to be a bolt in for the rear.i wouldnt know i run 14 bolts.

no you dont need to "narrow"them. that way it will be more stable offroad.
        77 chero DEAD.
        84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

• Tad
          • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by Sambo
          no you dont need to "narrow"them. that way it will be more stable offroad.
          Agreed.
          Not only do you toss away the extra stability you then have custom shafts.
          Not going to find a custom shaft when you need it fast.
          2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
          EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
          Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Casey
            • Oct 08, 2003

Yeah, sambo I had heard that too. Though the one I have the perches are off from 'bolting' in. Close, but no cigar.

IIRC Cajun_lad also has a Dodge 60 and it did bolt in..?
            1994 YJ
            1986 Comanche
            '57 FC-150

www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Comment

• J10Mike
              Delightfully Incompetent
              • Jun 04, 2003

Originally posted by Casey
              Yeah, sambo I had heard that too. Though the one I have the perches are off from 'bolting' in. Close, but no cigar.

IIRC Cajun_lad also has a Dodge 60 and it did bolt in..?
              D60s off a 72 thru 93 Dodge will bolt in to a Waggy and NT Cherokee. However, for shocks, it's either weld mounts to the axle. Or use the Dodge componants to secure the axle to the springs. I recommend welding mounts.
              www.j10mike.com
              Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

Comment

• RamJetFSJ
                350 Buick
                • Jul 18, 2001

Does anyone know if the Dodge D60s mentioned above will fit with a stock coffin fuel tank? And are they 6 bolt or 8?

THX
                Ben
                1980 Wagoneer - Ram Jet 350, 700R4, NP208, 4" lift, 33x10.5 tires.

Comment

• J10Mike
                  Delightfully Incompetent
                  • Jun 04, 2003

Originally posted by RamJetFSJ
                  Does anyone know if the Dodge D60s mentioned above will fit with a stock coffin fuel tank? And are they 6 bolt or 8?

THX
                  The Dodge D60/70 is centered. It might be close to the tank. And yes, 8 bolt.
                  www.j10mike.com
                  Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

Comment

• RamJetFSJ
                    350 Buick
                    • Jul 18, 2001

Originally posted by J10Mike
                    The Dodge D60/70 is centered. It might be close to the tank. And yes, 8 bolt.
                    thanks!
                    Ben
                    1980 Wagoneer - Ram Jet 350, 700R4, NP208, 4" lift, 33x10.5 tires.

Comment

• jeeping1974
                      360 AMC
                      • Jun 17, 2007

I know for a fact that a 14BFF is not a bolt in. It is only if you move the springs under the frame. This again is on a j-truck.

Someone posted earlier about the D60 shaft not being much bigger than a D44. I believe they are actually the same size (the 30 spline shafts that is). Heck, I'm planning on using shafts from a D70-U in my rear 44/60 hybrid just to make it complete.
                      03 GMC 2500HD - DD/toy hauler
                      06 Street Glide - Cruiser

Comment

• cajun_lad
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 17, 2006

I've got a mid 80's dodge van/truck rear d60. When I measured the stock perches, center-center was about 1/4-1/2" off from the springs measurement. I'm pretty sure it would have fit. However, I didn't try, as I was putting on Tad perches for added height and stability. I'm also shackle flipped in the rear, but I have no clearance issues with the fuel tank whatsoever.
                        Joey
                        Jeep-Less

Comment

• alwomac
                          232 I6
                          • Aug 06, 2009

Originally posted by RamJetFSJ

THX
                          You need a 60 out of a one ton dodge van from mid 70's. They are offset some to the passenger side and clear the tank real nice. You will have to weld perches on but that is no big deal. Use the three hole antiwrap perches and use the front hole and the yoke is right where the stock 44 yoke was so you don't have driveline issues. Also I don't know who thinks a 60 isn't any better than a 44 must not have had both open. The Dodge's are FF 8 lugs and the ring gear and axles are much larger. Yes they are only 30 spline but they are larger. The Dodge van is 65" wms
                          They are also smooth bottom and you get better ground clearance than a 14 bolt but not quite as strong.
                          Aaron Womack

1978 Cherokee 360, 400/QT, HD44, Dana 60, 4.88's, locked, 36s on H1s, SOA/SF, high steer, Rancho RS5000's (14" front/11" rear travel) lots of dents

Comment

• Casey
                            • Oct 08, 2003

D44 and D60 shaft diameter - 1.31" and 30 splines. Except the D60HD with 35 spline shafts which are 1.5".

Yeah the 60 is a full floater and stronger in many ways, but the 30 spline shafts are the same diameter as a D44.
                            1994 YJ
                            1986 Comanche
                            '57 FC-150

www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Comment

• jeeping1974
                              360 AMC
                              • Jun 17, 2007

Originally posted by Casey
                              D44 and D60 shaft diameter - 1.31" and 30 splines. Except the D60HD with 35 spline shafts which are 1.5".

Yeah the 60 is a full floater and stronger in many ways, but the 30 spline shafts are the same diameter as a D44.
                              Larger ring and pinion, larger tube thickness and diameter, larger yoke on some, full floating is a huge benifit IMO. You can get dana 60 full floating shafts in 1541H, 4340, and 300M materials where as the strongest dana 44 semi-floating shafts are made with 1541H material.
                              03 GMC 2500HD - DD/toy hauler
                              06 Street Glide - Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X