• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the_shootist
    230 Tornado
    • Oct 01, 2015

Wierd Vibration After New Trans Mount

I recently replaced worn out trans mount. When I did it, I jacked the transmission up to the point that it barely touched the body. After getting everything tightened up, I am having a vibration when taking off. I can feel the vibration in my driver's seat as if the transfer case is making contact with the body just below the seat. I measured the new trans mount and it seems to be the same height as the old one, and I can't figure out where the rub/vibration is coming from. Any advice on what to do or check would really be appreciated. It is really driving me nuts.
    1983 Jeep Wagoneer Limited. 4.2 Inline 6 with 4.0 Head and Howell TBI. HEI. NP 208 Swap. Razor Grill. Rusty's 4 Inch Lift, BFG 31 AT's.

1982 Jeep CJ-7. Dana 60 Rear, 44 Front from a J20. Full Cage, Howell TBI, HEI, 5 Inch Lift, 35 Inch Hankook MT's.

Six in a row make it go!
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

is it possible the bad mount was masking something? like a worn U joint and putting the tranny back into correct position now allows the sloppy joint to announce itself?
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• the_shootist
      230 Tornado
      • Oct 01, 2015

I should have mentioned that I put in new U-Joints at the same time. The U joints had actually been bad, which is what I think caused the tranny mount to get so worn.
      1983 Jeep Wagoneer Limited. 4.2 Inline 6 with 4.0 Head and Howell TBI. HEI. NP 208 Swap. Razor Grill. Rusty's 4 Inch Lift, BFG 31 AT's.

1982 Jeep CJ-7. Dana 60 Rear, 44 Front from a J20. Full Cage, Howell TBI, HEI, 5 Inch Lift, 35 Inch Hankook MT's.

Six in a row make it go!

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Did you mark the shaft with index marks when removed so you installed the driveshaft in phase?
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• yossarian19
          258 I6
          • Nov 13, 2016

The vibration is unlikely to be the mount. I think the U-joints are the culprit. See if the vibration comes back (probably less) at 30 mph or so, it's the classic u-joint issues speed.
          I've had u-joints that were installed correctly and everything was pretty well fine but they were a bit stiff until they wore in a little bit and smoothed out. It's happened.
          Could also be a problem like a dropped needle bearing I suppose or just a poor quality joint.
          If you pulled the driveshaft, whichever one, and gave the yoke ends a wiggle you'd feel an uneven stiffness to it I betcha.

Comment

• the_shootist
            230 Tornado
            • Oct 01, 2015

Thanks for everyone who chimed in. It turns out that it was a bad driver side engine mount. On acceleration, it would shift just enough to cause it to rub. I should have checked the engine mounts first off. I feel quite dumb for not doing so.

I think what happened was that when I did the lift, I had a vibration at low speeds. I drove it like this for a day or two and then added the shims. I think that vibration caused the already worn out u-joints to go, along with the already worn out trans and engine mounts. I am going to get the new mounts now and am certain it will fix the problem.

Six in a row make it go!

Comment

Working...
            X