• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crist Clapper
    I'm being stalked by Steve... Save me!
    • Apr 28, 2008

OEM Replacement Carpet

Good day folks, I'm at the garage today without a camera... Photos later. Of... I received a carpet-sample which apears to be the closest I've ever had to OEM.

Here's the thing... Since I didn't replace my carpet... I don't have any samples to compare to.

So you're thinking... Just pull-back somewhere and cut a peice. I get shivers of distubing a finished project.

Therefore, does anyone have a section of the OEM carpet they could send me... Not worn?

Later all! Crist
    1990 Grand Wagoneer:
    Delilah - def: "White Lady (cocktail) with the additional ingredients of egg-whites, sugar, and cream"

1987 XJ Wagoneer Limited:
    Desiree - def: ?Much Desired? [orig: French] ? Desirable Charcoal Gray façade, Wood-grain vêneers,and Tan Leather éssentials"

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association (FJS-PRIS)
  • KilroyJC
    232 I6
    • Feb 08, 2016

Originally posted by Crist Clapper

So you're thinking... Just pull-back somewhere and cut a peice. I get shivers of distubing a finished project.
    Maybe I am missing something, but if you have the sample, why do you need to cut anything from your Jeep?

That said, probably the best place to find unsullied carpet is under the sill plates, which is also the least intrusive and easily re-hide-able spot I can think of.
    1963 1414 Armstrong Power Steering & Windows, no radio/reverse lights/hazards/seatbelts

1993 Chevy Caprice Wagon -1971 Honda CL175 - 1978 Honda CX500 - Bobcat 610

Gone but not forgotten:
    1975 Chevy Impala Sport Coupe; 1933 Chrysler CQ coupe; 1970 AMC Ambassador Wagon; 1985 Chevy Caprice Wagon; 1975 Starcraft Holiday18 w/1976 Evinrude 70hp

Comment

• WHSII
      Hack-Priss
      • Feb 06, 2010

Hello Crist,

I am looking for carpet and have a possible sample from the side panels in the cargo section from an 87 Grand.

Would that help? Color probably would be faded, but I figure you are looking for nap and texture.

Let me know.

Good day folks, I'm at the garage today without a camera... Photos later. Of... I received a carpet-sample which apears to be the closest I've ever had to OEM.

Here's the thing... Since I didn't replace my carpet... I don't have any samples to compare to.

Therefore, does anyone have a section of the OEM carpet they could send me... Not worn?

Later all! Crist
      WH

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
      Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Crist Clapper
        • Apr 28, 2008

Originally posted by WHSII
        Hello Crist,

I am looking for carpet and have a possible sample from the side panels in the cargo section from an 87 Grand.

Would that help? Color probably would be faded, but I figure you are looking for nap and texture.

Let me know.
        Yes... Thanks. Will send PM.
        1990 Grand Wagoneer:
        Delilah - def: "White Lady (cocktail) with the additional ingredients of egg-whites, sugar, and cream"

Desiree - def: ?Much Desired? [orig: French] ? Desirable Charcoal Gray façade, Wood-grain vêneers,and Tan Leather éssentials"

Comment

• autogatto
          258 I6
          • Apr 24, 2009

Crist,
          what brand is this carpet if I may ask?
          A few jeeps

Comment

• Crist Clapper
            • Apr 28, 2008

I haven't convinced the supplier to sell the carpet in rolls (not pre-molded) as yet... But if I do... I will let you-all know!

Learning from the past... Disclosure... I'm not stating this is an exact match to OEM... Just the closest I have even seen. It seems folks have their own expectations that don't always match others/mine. I can state it has an automotive backing... Which is interesting/important to me. Stay tuned!

1990 Grand Wagoneer:

Comment

• dtatum
              232 I6
              • Sep 30, 2014

That sample looks great, can't wait.

Comment

• 61Hawk
                258 I6
                • Jul 18, 2009

I want to put that in my 4Runner to replace the black felt covered cardboard Toyota calls carpet.

Comment

• DarkMonohue
                  Shakes hands with danger
                  • Jul 01, 2012

Originally posted by 61Hawk
                  I want to put that in my 4Runner to replace the black felt covered cardboard Toyota calls carpet.
                  Interesting perspective. I'm no fan of thin carpet either, but I really don't like the super plush, 1970s-living-room carpet, either. Some dense, short carpet would be nice IMO.
                  '85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles - not great, but better than walking.
                  Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                  High quality junk here: intro thread and slow build thread

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.

Comment

• zjgross1
                    230 Tornado
                    • Mar 03, 2015

Any update on the manufacturer?

Comment

• Crist Clapper
                      • Apr 28, 2008

In the past I've heard excuses for not getting stuff done... Like I've been sick, my Dad died, family member in/out of the hospital. Well I now believe their excuses... Because I now have all these excuses. When I have updates... I will be sure to post.
                      1990 Grand Wagoneer:

Comment

• babywag
                        out of order
                        • Jun 08, 2005

In the past I've heard excuses for not getting stuff done... Like I've been sick, my Dad died, family member in/out of the hospital. Well I now believe their excuses... Because I now have all these excuses. When I have updates... I will be sure to post.
                        Sorry to hear that. It's a tough road, but it does get better with time.
                        Tony
                        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 25, 2016

just got a 1988 GW a week ago

i like the OEM carpet best too

the previous owner put the new low pile in the one i have....

this has been an issue with the 1979 silver anniversary trans am too...

they came with shag, ACC used low pile until a few years ago on their repro sets,....

then, they did a fairly accurate duplicate of the original shag

and most carpet sets are made by ACC in Anniston, Alabama

maybe they can do the same for GW's ?????
                          SOLSAKS - dave
                          1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                          1982 J-10 Fleetside
                          1988 grand wagoneer
                          2004 RUBICON jeep
                          Benson, NC

Comment

• Tatsadasayago
                            350 Buick
                            • May 15, 2009

The most common carpet for the later GWs was a non-looped 'Fur' style.
                            There was an 80/20 loop available as well, but just not as common.

BJs and TGW sell ACC carpet in both styles and I got the 80/20 pile for my Chief.
                            Looks just like the EOM and that's what I was after.

I think the correct term for this type of carpet is 'Cut-Loop'.
                            If you look closely you can see the rows where the loops were cut that make the carpet look like closely cut hair or fur.

Below the door panel is the ACC 80/20 loop I put into the Chief 2-3 years ago.

Jim
                            KY7DX/6
                            76 401 Wagoneer *The Gag-O-Neer*
                            77 360 W/T Cherokee Chief *Blair Jeep Project III* http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=113707

Sacramento, CA USA

Comment

• JeepJeepster
                              350 Buick
                              • Sep 04, 2014

Anyway we could know who made that carpet Crist Clapper? I would like to try and get a sample of it if possible. See how it compares to our 89 cordovan carpet...
                              2004 Jeep Liberty
                              1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
                              1994 Jeep ZJ I6
                              1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

Working...
                              X