• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rod2
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 11, 2004

Coolant drips

There is coolant dripping off the oil filter/oil pump housing. Is there a joint between the base of that unit and coolant passages in the block?
    Rod Skaggs
    '73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn Lock-O-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, '77 Firebird tilt column, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, MileMarker 12,000 cradle mounted winch
  • 440sixpack
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 21, 2016

No. it's probably coming from the timing chain cover either on the gasket between the block or from a hole in the cover.

Could be the water pump or a hose connection as well. check out the easy stuff first.

Comment

• Rod2
      327 Rambler
      • Apr 11, 2004

Thanks, but either one sounds like a bear to fix. Nevertheless, it's gotta' be done if it stays mobile. The hose connections are dry, and I can see no trail from the pump pulley. So you have probably nailed it.
      Rod Skaggs
      '73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn Lock-O-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, '77 Firebird tilt column, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, MileMarker 12,000 cradle mounted winch

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

Look at the seal vent hole on your water pump. Very common that the seal in the water pump fails and a bit of coolant comes out the hole. The bearing fails soon afterward. Replace water pump.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Rod2
          327 Rambler
          • Apr 11, 2004

Good possibility, tg, but I can't see any trace of a leak from the vent hole. But I'll keep looking and keep your suggestion in mind. Thanks to you, too.
          Rod Skaggs

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
            360 AMC
            • Oct 02, 2002

I just fired off a completely rebuilt engine in a 70 wagoneer I have been restoring. When I added coolant I put in alumaseal. I had a drip at one of the timing cover bolts, (New TA performance cover) two of the hoses despite pretty tight clamps, and the upper tank had seam that leaked from a broken solder joint. All the leaks have stopped and I suspect the radiator might still have to come out for the solder joint repair. But for now it is not leaking even with pressure. I was also told all new cars come of the factory assembly lines with alumaseal or a small leak stopper in the cooling systems. I also have read half a dozen times that using a product like that will clog up your cooling system, heater core etc.... I after many years of using alumaseal have never once seen any type of build up to validate any of the statements I have read.
            I cannot say the same for bars leaks. I have seen a lot of residue from Bars leaks. Alumaseal is a fine powder and in my opinion works absolutely great with no side affects. You might add half a tube and see what happens. Also find exactly where it is coming from. I had to look closely but found where each leak originated. They all are gone.
            Melford1972 says...
            I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
            -----------------------
            I make wag parts
            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
            1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
            1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
            1968 M715 restomod
            2001 Dodge 3500
            2002 Toyota Tundra
            2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
            Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by 440sixpack
              No. it's probably coming from the timing chain cover either on the gasket between the block or from a hole in the cover.

Could be the water pump or a hose connection as well. check out the easy stuff first.

2X, best to use a pressure test tool. Go to your parts store that loans tool, such as autozone or oreillys and borrow the pressure tool for the cooling system. In my case at 5psi it showed a failing gasket at the timing cover coolant passages... Our system runs at about 12-15psi depending on year

tedious to fix because of the various bolt length... and the other discoveries... but a good time to change the timing chain, water pump...
              Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

Yeah, letank brings up a good point. Be aware that fixing this little coolant leak, could turn into a huge ordeal.

If you decide to pull your timing chain cover, plan on rebuilding your oil pump and replacing your timing chain at the same time. It's takes a while to take that much of the engine down so you might as well do it all at the same time. This was an extremely dirty job on my rig. Also, it is not uncommon for a water pump to fail RIGHT after you finish fixing everything else. I am not sure if it's murphy's law or if us poking around in there is what does it but it happens.

My timing chain cover was severely corroded. To the point where there was a hole in a coolant passage. Be ready to find a new timing cover (worse case).

I am not trying to talk you out of fixing it; nothing on this job is hard or that expensive (unless you pay a mechanic to do it) and there are no speacial tools needed. Just don't expect it to be done in 2 hours on a weekday night if you need to drive your truck to work the next morning.
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                X