• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SlickKipper
    258 I6
    • May 26, 2000

The Mighty Magnum 380?

I like to think that I don't pretend that
    relative to the most of ya' I don't know jack squat about this business, but I think I could get a crate motor in there a heck of a lot easier than doin' a rebuild. Now, I don't consider myself necessarily "close" to getting one a' these, but hey, what's the harm in doin' some figerin'? I'd like to hear y'alls take on this particular product. Could I just slap one a' these in there w/o running into major complications (other than my own ineptitude)?

(Gotta love that "each" next to the price...and here I thought you'd get at least a dozen in a crate-full)

SK

------------------
    1989 Grand Wagoneer, 32,000 original miles, K&N air, Flowmaster 70 Series muff, hi-flo cat

My Wagoneer

[This message has been edited by SlickKipper (edited October 17, 2000).]
    Well fellas, I\'m ashamed to admit that I sold my GW to a family friend, Fall 01. Got t\'hankerin\' for a motorcycle, and I was also in dire need of a daily driver, gas was \'spensive and I was runnin\' outa\' dough for Elsie (the GW) so there ya go. I won\'t mention brands of m\'new stuff \'cause we all know Jeep isn\'t making any p/u trucks or motorcycles these days, but I sure do miss participating in the club.

OK what am I looking for?

------------------
    AKA RUDY79.
    1979 WAGONEER, 360, TH400, Q- TRAC. 3" ADD A LEAFS, 31" MUD T/A'S (PEP BOYS CLONES).
    " Go farther, it only breaks on the street"

Comment

• SlickKipper
      258 I6
      • May 26, 2000

Ahh! Urethra! (Got the picture to load, and for some reason I can't delete this post)

Well fellas, I\'m ashamed to admit that I sold my GW to a family friend, Fall 01. Got t\'hankerin\' for a motorcycle, and I was also in dire need of a daily driver, gas was \'spensive and I was runnin\' outa\' dough for Elsie (the GW) so there ya go. I won\'t mention brands of m\'new stuff \'cause we all know Jeep isn\'t making any p/u trucks or motorcycles these days, but I sure do miss participating in the club.

Comment

YAAA BABY! Now wee talking. I don't want to sound like a Mopar rules type of guy, BUT....If you only drove my ol' 77 Powerwagon with the built up 360 you would understand.
        I am still considering doing this myself. A 727 is a 727, yank one off a ramcharger or powerwagon, i saw one on a ramcharger with a NP203 t case for about $120.00 for the trans. and this puppy will bolt right up to it. I forget, what tranny you have the chrysler?

------------------
        AKA RUDY79.
        1979 WAGONEER, 360, TH400, Q- TRAC. 3" ADD A LEAFS, 31" MUD T/A'S (PEP BOYS CLONES).

Comment

• SlickKipper
          258 I6
          • May 26, 2000

Rudy,
          Dig the enthusiasm.

I reckon' I got the TF727.

Comment

• andy d
            Shade Tree Shaman
            • May 06, 2000

slick, for less than 1/2 of that you could get a remanned jeep 360. all your stuff would bolt up. as i understand it your rig is low mileage so why are you sweating a new mill any way?

------------------
            '88 gwag,pure stock
            \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• SlickKipper
              258 I6
              • May 26, 2000

I dunno. I got my timing backed off to 8 degrees, and I'm still pingin', and I got a knock that ain't goin' away which could be piston slap(?), oil on some plugs, a rear main seal that's startin' t'weep...

While the engine is low-milage, I don't think it was taken very good care of for a couple of years. Can't begin' to tell ya' how grungy the oil was when I changed it the first time, and I think the lil'ol'lady i bought it from (literally) drove it around on 7 cylinders some...and i'm just considering my options...at the very least I know I'm lookin' at a couple a' thousand here...and hey, ain' nothin' wrong w/a little performance now is there?

SK

Comment

• Baker
                258 I6
                • Apr 09, 2000

How much do they want for a 426 Hemi?

------------------
                Baker
                '84 Grand Wagoneer 360,727,229, 44 & 20 (3.31s), 30x9.5, stock springs
                Baker<br /><a href=\"http://www.3weasel.20m.com/jeepwreck.html\" target=\"_blank\">\'84 Grand Wag, fixer-upper.</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.3weasel.20m.com/nova/\" target=\"_blank\">\'71 4 door Chevy Nova</a> Must sell so I can buy my dream car!<br />Email me for details.

Comment

• SlickKipper
                  258 I6
                  • May 26, 2000

Seriously? I don't see a 426 here, but there's a 472 Hemi for 12K...and a 528 Hemi for an extra K. Will those fit in?

SK

Comment

Andy,
                    Lets see, the Prev. Owner paid OVER $2000. for this rebuilt AMC 360 motor including install. And it is a slap together job I'm sure. Can you still get NEW factory replacement AMC 360s?

------------------
                    AKA RUDY79.

Comment

Sorry slick Hemi trannys are few and far between. but if you find one you are just a tail shaft swap away from .......
                      I think the 472 would vaporize my Quadra trac. and the d44s....my 440 had a seriouse appetite for U joints.

------------------
                      AKA RUDY79.

Comment

• andy d
                        Shade Tree Shaman
                        • May 06, 2000

heck no Rudy, but i paid about 1600$ for a reman from one of those places.that was just for a long block. its in its 2nd jeep and has over 30k miles on it. it uses les than a qt between changes. 'm a happy camper. mabe its cuz i drive like a lil ol lady.then again #1 son drve the be geezes outta it if i could remember the outfit i'd tell ya.
                        \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• Joker_87GW

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't you want the power band to be just a notch lower for 4-wheeling?

The HP is great! I would love 380HP in my GW.. But I would like to see that sitting down about a 1000 RPM lower and the torque band at a lower RPM also, maybe around 3200-3500RPM..

Just my uneducated .02 worth..

------------------
                          Byron Yeiser
                          '88 Grand Wagoneer
                          "The Wanderer II"
                          360/727/NP229

'87 Grand Wagoneer
                          "The Wanderer"
                          360/727/NP229

Home of Loaded Camera Photography
                          [email protected]

Quote: "Offroad? You mean there's an On-road?"

Comment

• graham
                            350 Buick
                            • Apr 29, 2000

There's a song that was a hit a few years ago...Artist, eludes me.
                            "I'm dreamin, Dreamin....."
                            If only that price wos Aussie $'s.
                            "I'm dreamin, Dreamin of you and....."
                            If only I had them $'s
                            "I'm dreamin, Dreamin of you and....."
                            Would we have fun recovering those stuck 'Cruisers and Patrols and any thing else for that matter!
                            "I'm dreamin, Dreamin of you and me....."

------------------
                            BEAR HUNTER
                            Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

'82 Cherokee Sportsman II,360, auto. As it rolled of the Show Room floor.
                            Except for;LPG conversion, On board air.
                            Graham
                            Lifes to short ..... eat dessert first.

'82 Cherokee Sportsman II,360, auto. As it rolled of the Show Room floor. Except for; LPG conversion, On board air, O2 sensor, rear shackle flip and extended front shackles....Dual batteries on the way Model T timing.
                            Bearhunters Home Page

Comment

• SlickKipper
                              258 I6
                              • May 26, 2000

Joker_87 That's actually one of the things that concerns me w/r/t this motor. A comparison of the power curves for the 360 and the 380 would be interesting to see.

SK

Comment

Working...
                              X