• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OBX-AUTOMOTIVE
    GRUMPY
    • Apr 10, 2001

IF IT TAKES A GASKET,TELL ME WHY

YOU PUT THAT,I'LL CALL IT STUFF*** ON A NEW GASKET...I SAW A POST THAT SOMEONE PUT THAT STUFF**** ON A DIFF COVER......... I DON'T GET IT..I ONLY USE TACK TO HOLD A GASKET...IF THE COVER IS TRUE AND CLEAN AND IT WAS NOT LEAKING BEFORE YOU REPLACED THE GASKET...WHY USE IT????I KNOW YOUR GOING TO SAY THEY TELL YOU TO USE IT...I JUST NEVER USE IT.....I'M TALKING ON A GASKET...NOW!!!!!.. PS MY GASKETS DON'T LEAK!!!!!

[ July 30, 2002, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: GEMOBX/77/401 ]
  • Rob
    258 I6
    • Nov 06, 2000

.....WHAT'S TACK ????
    Rob<br /><br />1969 Wagoneer 350<br />1979 Cherokee Chief 360<br /><br />-------------------

Comment

• OBX-AUTOMOTIVE
      GRUMPY
      • Apr 10, 2001

HI!!!THERE ROB...TACK,,IT COMES IN A SPRAY CAN...RED GLUE TYPE STUFF....SPRAY ON THE GASKET SO IT STAYS IN PLACE WHEN YOU PUT THE PART ON....ME... I USE 3M SPRAY GLUE...... IT NO MOVE!!! THE IDEA IS TO KEEP THE HOLES LINED UP!!!!!...GARY... HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

------------------

Comment

• ironroad29
        360 AMC
        • Nov 12, 2000

you tell em gary i don't like to use that stuff anyway just on the end seals on intakes and thats only cause the little rubber strips ALWAYS seems to ooozzzzzzz there way out espescally theback one

------------------
        "If a jeep can't take you there, maybe you should think twice about going" visit the C.O.R.E. homepage
        Looking for a j truck in VA.
        1977 impala coupe lt1 swap in progress
        2004 crown vic LX sport
        1997 2 door Tahoe sport
        preparing for a bleak future...

Comment

• OBX-AUTOMOTIVE
          GRUMPY
          • Apr 10, 2001

I KNOW WERE AND WHAT YOU MEAN.. I CAN UNDERSTAND THAT..IRONROAD.......GARY..

------------------

Comment

• nograin
            304 AMC
            • Dec 19, 2000

I AGREE WITH YOU GARY.

EVERYTHING I HAVE READ & HEARD, INCLUDING AN EMPLOYEE OF FEL-PRO, SEZ TO ONLY USE AN ADHESIVE TO HOLD GASKETS IN PLACE. I CAN NOT IMAGINE WHY USE IT ON A DIF COVER, BUT I SAW A MECHANIC USE THE SPRAY VERSION TO DO JUST THAT LAST WEEK. HE BELEIVED IT WOULD HELP SEAL OVER ANY IMPERFECTIONS. BUT, AS YOU HAVE INDICATED, THAT IS NOT WHAT THAT STUFF DOES.

IT WAS VERY GOOD (BRUSH-ON STYLE) TO HOLD THE OIL PAN GASKET TO THE BLOCK WHEN I WAS INSTALLING MY OIL PAN.

------------------
            360 727auto-trany, NP229
            body by beer (PO)
            carries wood inside
            no "wood" outside

My other car is a fish
            '85 Grand Wagoneer
            360 727auto, NP229
            body by beer (PO)
            carries wood inside
            no "wood" outside
            My other car is a fish

Comment

• OBX-AUTOMOTIVE
              GRUMPY
              • Apr 10, 2001

NOGRAIN....HI!!.....10-4 ON THE BRUSH TYPE...I JUST SPARY THE GASKET LET IT SET... THEN STICK IT ON....GARY

------------------

Comment

• tucsonrick
                232 I6
                • Oct 28, 2000

dry gaskets were meant to be used dry. if not, the stuff would come with, or on the gasket.

------------------
                tucsonrick
                69'wag (mostly stock)
                tucsonrick<br />69\'wag (mostly stock)

Comment

• jeepbob
                  Jeep Idiot
                  • Jan 16, 2001

THE SILLY PUTTY IS THE MOST OVER AND MISUSED STUFF IN THE AUTO REPAIR WORLD. I EITHER USE SPRAY TACK OR BRUSH ON FORM A GASKET IF SOMETHING MORE IS NEEDED. THE FUNNIEST ONE I EVER SAW WAS THE GUY THAT REBUILT HIS BEETLE MOTOR USING RED RTV AND WONDERED WHY THE MAINS RATTLED. HE HAD AT LEAST .020" CLEARENCE ON THAT SUCKER DUE TO THE THICKNESS OF THE RTV BETWEEN THE CASE HALVES. HE BROUGHT IT IN CUZ HE COULD NOT FIGURE WHY HE HAD NO OIL PRESSURE AND A LOUD KNOCK. I USE LOCKTITE GASKET ON VW'S.

------------------
                  65 wag. 360/edelbrock rb4/t400/20 t-case/4:10 d27/d44 broken power lok/onboard air/onboard 110v power(no inverter)/1999 Lincoln t.c.leather buckets/Lincoln ctr console/winch/33x12.50/tunes/water proof door pads
                  soon to have new motor/d44frt/d60r(4:10)welded diff/custom bumpers
                  see ya in da mud
                  65 wag. with a bunch of stuff done and more happening.<br /><br />\"If the local junkyard calls you for Jeep parts, you might be a redneck\".... and yes they do!

Comment

• OBX-AUTOMOTIVE
                    GRUMPY
                    • Apr 10, 2001

MR.RICK AND MR BOB...RIGHT ON!....... BUT!!!........... THE GUY AT THE AUTO PARTS****...""OH!! SIR, YOU'LL "NEED" A TUBE OF THIS FOR YOUR GASKETS"".....I DO ??.... GIVE ME A TUBE THEN!!!.......GARY

------------------

Comment

I used to goop the stuff on everything I bolted together. That is, until I had to DISASSEMBLE those parts later, and clean all that gasket-goo off!

Now I spend the time on cleaning and flattening the mating-surfaces, and installing the gasket dry. If the surfaces are clean and straight, no leaks. And if I have to disassemble the parts later, I can usually re-use the gasket.

------------------
                      Bob Barry<UL TYPE=SQUARE>* '78 Cherokee 4-door
                      * '88 Grand Wagoneer[/list]http://studentweb.providence.edu/~rbarry/wheels/

Comment

• OBX-AUTOMOTIVE
                        GRUMPY
                        • Apr 10, 2001

MR BARRY..I'M NOT KNOCKING THAT STUFF..BUT I REMEMBER ONE TIME I USED SOME ON MY HEADERS...YOU KNOW THE KIND THAT LEAK&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;THEY WERE DRIVING ME CRAZY THEY KEEP BLOWING OUT,SO I PUT DOUBLE GASKETS ON AND A TUBE OF COPPER HIGH TEMP STUFF...IT STOP THEM FROM LEAKING...IT WORKED GOOD THERE!!!....

[ July 30, 2002, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: GEMOBX/77/401 ]

Comment

• andy d
                          Shade Tree Shaman
                          • May 06, 2000

rtv sealant is the greatest for drainlines in the house. i like gaskets, making them is a craft ive worked at for years. i gotta waterpump rtv'ed to the original motor to my 88 wag. that pump does'nt need bolts if the mating surfaces are flat ...

------------------
                          '88 gwag,pure stock
                          \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• OBX-AUTOMOTIVE
                            GRUMPY
                            • Apr 10, 2001

WHAT'S OLD IS NEW..FROM LAST YEAR [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X